I need advice...

M

mariow213

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, long story short I got involved with poker 2 months ago and have been obsessed ever since. I read about poker and watch streamers all day long it seems but my personal experience at the tables has been a sobering experience. Over the last 2 months ive been up 300 and down 300 in single days and I have deposited nearly 1000 Canadian dollars total. I now have 0.. Being a university student and putting all my dollars from my part time job into my passion and losing it all, it stings bad. Do i quit poker forever and accept im not good? I feel like im getting bad beats all the time, Hell i lost 300 dollars all in with quad 10's and they ended up having a royal flush.. What do i do guys im down alot and dont wanna go down anymore. Since ive depoisted so much and cashed out nothing does this mean i have a gambling problem? I just enjoy the game so much :confused::confused:

S

stokedog4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop! If you "love" the game you will realize that some spots are unavoidable. Losing with quads is so rare, I know it stings but you gotta get over it. But if you are losing 300 out of you 1000 in one hand, you are playing WAY WAY OVER YOUR bankroll. Read on this forum about bankroll management! Also, if you love it, you can also play with play money. Join a home game on pokerstars and you can play and have fun. Don't quit if you enjoy and want to learn!

stoke

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I figure the level you playing are too high for your game skill and bankroll management.

so, if you want to play again, find the game you are feel comfortable - meaning at least comfortable to losing some money.

GL.

PS: I think enjoy playing poker and enjoy play poker earning money are two different things, so first I think it needs to be clear which one you enjoy - playing poker game or playing to winning money?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hey guys, long story short I got involved with poker 2 months ago and have been obsessed ever since. I read about poker and watch streamers all day long it seems but my personal experience at the tables has been a sobering experience. Over the last 2 months ive been up 300 and down 300 in single days and I have deposited nearly 1000 Canadian dollars total. I now have 0.. Being a university student and putting all my dollars from my part time job into my passion and losing it all, it stings bad. Do i quit poker forever and accept im not good? I feel like im getting bad beats all the time, Hell i lost 300 dollars all in with quad 10's and they ended up having a royal flush.. What do i do guys im down alot and dont wanna go down anymore. Since ive depoisted so much and cashed out nothing does this mean i have a gambling problem? I just enjoy the game so much :confused::confused:

As you seem to only be able to view this from extreme positions, quit now. 2 months after getting involved in poker or anything else for that matter & dropping 1k is beyond silly.

Uhhhhhhhh

Uhhhhhhhh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I concur with the previous posts. Bankroll management is key. You have to think about your online poker bankroll as its own entity, not an extension of your real life bankroll.

Its a pain in the rump to play 2cent/5cent when you are used to $1/$2 or $2/$5 in a live setting. But, in order to deal with the fluctuations in poker odds online*, it is a necessity (unless you have unlimited deposit ability) if you truly want to build your bankroll. The key is to have patience and learn. VERY FEW players start off as winners in this game.

*Remember, you see more hands online. In return, you see more 'set up' or 'action hands'. Precentage-wise, when compared to live poker, the frequency is virtually identical.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's just silly to gamble with no experience of the game. You have to first play without money, watch how others play at the table. It is wrong to just take the money and play. The fact that you lose some of the money it was predictable in advance. If you like to play poker the game, but first read it as a need to manage your bankroll properly.

Uhhhhhhhh

Uhhhhhhhh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just silly to gamble with no experience of the game. You have to first play without money, watch how others play at the table. It is wrong to just take the money and play. The fact that you lose some of the money it was predictable in advance. If you like to play poker the game, but first read it as a need to manage your bankroll properly.
I don't completely agree with this. A player can get a false sense of security when learning poker with no penalty of true loss.
Stick to micro, where the losses arent painful, until you learn the game more.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would recommend taking a month off to reassess where you are with things. It's hard for me to understand how you can be in college, work part time and still have enough time for this much poker. Or said another way, are you taking your courses seriously? Is your major of studies leading to a degree that will result in employable skills? I'm not suggesting you answer these things here in this forum, but answer them, nonetheless.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't completely agree with this. A player can get a false sense of security when learning poker with no penalty of true loss.
Stick to micro, where the losses arent painful, until you learn the game more.

I'm not sure which one of you guys I agree with more. I personally don't think you should be depositing and playing for large amounts until you learn how to play. This can take some time. You can deposit 25.00 and have a grand time in the micros.

I do also agree that if you don't play for something, there is no real gauge for how good you are and what level you should be playing.

I've seen lots of people do what the OP did, win a bit because they got lucky playing in a game that was above their level only to lose the wins back + more.

I wouldn't suggest you quit poker, just quit depositing. Start building a bankroll from freerolls and .01/.02, if you can't win in a freeroll or .01/.02 game, I'd keep improving my game before additional deposits.

MiguelC18

MiguelC18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take it easy:cool:. Learn more about the game and improve your skills especially the compulsive ones that have led you to deposit and lose money. Be patient with your learning. Maybe get involved with the league here on Cardschat and find out what it's like to play poker simply for the competitive aspect of the game. :)

M

Marx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
.. i would say slow down , poker is a deceptively simple game , you cannot know if you will be any good at the game in 2 months , take your time , learn the game , read some books , watch some poker on twitch or youtube , i would suggest starting with beginner stuff like gripsed , also jcarverpoker or tonkaaaap and doug polk are all active on both youtube and also are frequently live playing on twitch ... learn what you're doing , then use some br management and work on your game , gl

Ivab

Ivab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, read the literature as to properly maintain your bankroll. If you win, and constantly improve the risk all the money, then sooner or later you will lose. It is necessary to risk the amount at which the loss you will not feel uncomfortable.
* 2 months of poker is very small. It is necessary to learn and gain experience. In order not to turn your game into a lottery.
Work on the control of emotions. Extra emotions for the game are not treated well thought-out steps.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi mariow213 and welcome to Cardschat. Believe this, I for one don't sugar coat what I say to or advise new members. And like me, there maybe some things you don't want to hear, but you need to hear them in order to learn how to become a winning player. My first question is, why did you join CC? My next one is, what are you looking for here? There is a lot of good advice above. Are you going to read it and use it? Why haven't you done your profile or an introduction to say hello so we can get to know you better? What made you start at such a high level to begin with? You have been playing for 2 months, so what do you think about starting at the lowest level, learn some things, and move up slowly? I been playing poker for more than 15 years. I been an active member here for about 5 years, and that has been a blessing for me. At this point, using all the advice I get from the experienced members here, using BRM as I've been told, setting goals I can reach, not playing for 12 hours a day, and knowing myself and how I feel as flags to play or not to play. With all that, I'm only playing at 10nl or 25nl sometimes. Poker will always be there when you want to play. Keep it fun, or make yourself hate the game. It's not fun to lose $300 in one hand, and it does not matter what hand you lost it on. That's how tilt problems start, and you sure don't want that in your game. Yeah this is long, but it's needed, along with everything above, to help you get started in the right direction. One last thing. Don't deposit so much money on your real money site so you won't be temped to play at a level that's to high for your BR. Try $100 BR and start at 5nl, and $1.10 or $2.20 MTT buy ins. It's up to you from here. GL

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you lost all your money, you need to practice better bankroll management

maybe try building up your bankroll through freerolls- then you dont lose money you cant afford to lose, and you get to play poker

glenn6971

glenn6971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to evaluate your hand histories. Obviously you have leaks that you aren't plugging up. I agree with PapaC regarding stakes. You are obviously over your head as far as the stakes you are playing.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You don't wanna go down any more you say , that's very good and important , so you wanna a change . Many ,me too , made mistakes at the beginning . Now try to study about poker (pot odds,equity,everything) as much as you can , play CC freerolls to apply this knowledge , post hands for analysis , begin playing freerolls to build your bankroll , follow strict bankroll management , level up stakes and buy ins only if you have done well in the previous level/stakes . If you cannot restrict yourself and you keep playing stakes you shouldn't , stop playing at all for 2 weeks or a month . I think you're gonna do just fine .

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to love to play, not to love to get super/bigger profits. This is things to professionals. Start playing freerolls and micro buy ins tournaments. The game is the same, but the opponents quality is so ever diferent.

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like you are playing cash tables. I play a similar style and learned the same way you are currently learning. It will get more expensive if you continue this route. The lessons learned this way will tend to stick better than ones you read about.

What I eventually end up doing was joining poker forums and playing with forum members reading threads and it made me a better player than just playing site wide games would have. There are tons of games to play that don't cost much and will help you learn to play better. You don't have to jump in and risk $300 to try and win. You can get a decent profit playing the smaller limits as well. If you are board playing for pots in the range of $10 then open a second table and see if that helps.

You could also switch your game from Cash to tourny or maby even sit an go. Poker can be addictive and at least in those games once you are out you are out and you only lose the buy in that it cost to enter.

You can even try and start at $0 and build from there. It is harder to do in today's poker landscape but still can be done. CardsChat alone has multiple freerolls you can start your bankroll with.

Good Luck !!

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just looking back on this tread, and I see that the owner has not replied to anything. It really gets me.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
My advice is this:

1. finish your College degree
2. get a job
3. start playing poker with the money you earn using a 10% of your paycheck.
Ex: if you make 2,000.00 a month you may play 200.00 a month and so on.
4. Learn about Bankroll management

Since by then, you are already a professional, the money you invest in Poker will be an entertaining and you should never play more than your allowable amount. :deal:

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im sure alot of guys would say the same bro,,,we all love poker,,alot,,but you can get your fill with freerolls,,,for now,its good practice till your ready for playing with the big boys:joyman:

L

LalaBliss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should learn more about bankroll management. I'd advice you to give yourself a challenge and play only micro games. One example would be you deposit $25 and play only $0.25 spin and go's. (if you play on PokerStars) This way you might be able to win back those 1000 that you lost. However if you just keep on loosing then it would be the best for you to quit. You could be doing something wrong. Good luck buddy! :)

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I suggest you get off Stars and play on ACR, the big hand v Big hand scenario happens less often.
You need to mange your bankroll better.A thousand dollar bankroll means playing lower stakes poker, the buy-in in my case is 100 times the big blind, so if I were to play 5/10 dollars NLHE I would need a bank of $10,000.
Playing a $300 pot suggests to me you are well out of your depth.
Start small, and build your skill level and your bankroll gradually, or face continually going broke.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the same experience,complete disappointment.Now playing without investing any money.

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How high of stakes are you playing?You must not be managing your bank roll correctly.The bad beats are gonna come even to the Pro's.A gambling problem would be like depositing on a poker site instead of paying your rent,school,house payment or food on the table.I am not a cash game player.I only play tournaments to make a bank roll.If you are losing and depositing like that then you have a problem.Do not play with more money than you can not afford to lose.You will play scared and not play your A game,because you are always gonna be worrying if you are going to make a cash out or not.I hope you the best of luck in what ever decision you do.Here is some helpful info from the Cards Chat forum on bank roll management. https://www.cardschat.com/mtt-tournament-bankroll-management.php