S

smallstakesdad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I said it...

I hate poker books.

I've been of the mindset that poker is a very personalized game. I have yet to find any justification to actually go out and buy books.

If you want to learn the skills of pot odds, implied odds, probabilities of hands, etc, Google is your friend, and these skills are not an art, they are a science.

How you play on the other, is completely something you dictate, because it's you.

Experience is your best teacher. Google, YouTube, this forum, you should not have to pay a dime to learn what you need to outside of the table.

If you believe otherwise, feel free to share your reasons.

A

andrewj50050

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hate reading full stop.. love to play max games and go on gut feel and time tells/ betting patterns.. nothing like playing experience too

abzdolc

abzdolc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
books explains how to play in the past, it's the main important problem. In this case past - ussualy a year. If you want to understand how most people the range of tournament, or a cash, just spectate & you'll find much more real info, and it will be actual

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The book is written thoughts of one person. After reading one book it is impossible to learn the game. You have to read a lot of books by different authors. And then to draw specific conclusions. The mound was also going to gradually one stone.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I said it...

I hate poker books.

I've been of the mindset that poker is a very personalized game. I have yet to find any justification to actually go out and buy books.

If you want to learn the skills of pot odds, implied odds, probabilities of hands, etc, Google is your friend, and these skills are not an art, they are a science.

How you play on the other, is completely something you dictate, because it's you.

Experience is your best teacher. Google, YouTube, this forum, you should not have to pay a dime to learn what you need to outside of the table.

I agree to an extent. Jared Tendlers Mental Game of Poker 1 and 2 actually made significant improvement in my poker game, and I wouldn't have been able to just google the knowledge that I received from the book. Matter of fact before getting the book, I went online and checked everywhere for tilt help, and mental game help. Only to find the same stuff, that honestly wasn't helpful. For the most part you can find anything you need for free and in forums like this mixed with chatting with like minded poker friends, but, the Mental Game of Poker might just be an exception. It might help that Jared Tendler isn't a poker coach, but a licensed mental health counselor.

S

Steve123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Books aren't bad, unless you analyze them and apply the strategies in real game

poker books are not actually a bad Idea for a beginner who wants to learn and develop ones skills, but it worth your time and money when you go through many top publishers poker books and conclude which strategy has worked best for you. Analyze, conclude and apply this is the key.

More than this, there is a load of information out there on the Internet, from basic guides to youtube videos, but same as Poker books you need to learn, practice and then and constantly analyze every session.:cool::cool:

Rest be active on all useful forums, you will find every sort of information as well you can ask your queries as you have well discussed in this thread. :):)

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree to an extent. Jared Tendlers Mental Game of Poker 1 and 2 actually made significant improvement in my poker game, and I wouldn't have been able to just google the knowledge that I received from the book. Matter of fact before getting the book, I went online and checked everywhere for tilt help, and mental game help. Only to find the same stuff, that honestly wasn't helpful. For the most part you can find anything you need for free and in forums like this mixed with chatting with like minded poker friends, but, the Mental Game of Poker might just be an exception. It might help that Jared Tendler isn't a poker coach, but a licensed mental health counselor.
Tilt is cured the first time you win a tournament with a chip and a chair . From that moment on you know tilting is just an act of stupidity .

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tilt is cured the first time you win a tournament with a chip and a chair . From that moment on you know tilting is just an act of stupidity .

lol I should have always known tilting is an act of stupidity. You don't need to win a tournament from nothing to prove that. Plus there isn't just one kind of tilt. Emotions are a part of everyone's game to an extent. You can still win a tournament from nothing and be on monkey tilt the whole time haha I've seen it happen.

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whats the old adage . Made a bankroll writing books on how to win at poker and lost it all calling all in preflop with pocket aces . :withstupi

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You can choose any method of teaching. The main thing is that it helps you win.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like poker books, but I think I learn better with coaching or watching videos.

uriell

uriell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Books were relevant for early poker, now poker has evolved. To my present level, I owe books.

M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes most poker books are about the game as it was played 10+ years ago (well most of them) But they are great for a beginner to give them a base set of skills. From that base set the get a jump on players that do not have that base set. Would I buy a book now, No, but have the experience. Would I hire a coach now, YES, mainly to see the things in my game that I may miss. ( A second set of eyes)

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whats the old adage . Made a bankroll writing books on how to win at poker and lost it all calling all in preflop with pocket aces . :withstupi

LOL. I think Ben Franklin said that first...

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I support you in that you can find many good tips online and for free there are many levels of play where books play points that have to do with your personality and make your approach to poker different but poker is something of personality and own criteria:birthday::fight:

DomGov

DomGov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I agree, generally, you're probably just reading the wrong books.
There are a few gems out there that are worth reading for today's game.
Such as Raiser's Edge, and Matthew Janda's material.
Also the tao of poker for general fundamentals/tilt control/life advice.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some really good players have written books. You can get a peak into the mind of some of the greatest in poker with their books...
You can probably learn most of the concepts elsewhere too but it will definitively not hurt to read some good books too...

theothermj

theothermj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I could see how those 2 books could help and I may have to look at them. I think MH pro's may have some tricks they know but I was a communications minor and I read people well...both live and even on line. Yet I realize the Mental game is important. If you sit down in a bad frame of mind I bet people lose way more than win.

I see the argument similar to non baseball players preaching sabermetrics and players and managers say you have to have a "feel" for the game, chemistry in the dugout

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes I said it...

I hate poker books.

You did not find any justification to actually go out and buy books, maybe it's because you're a more visual person. First, you have to find which is the best way for you learn. Exist some ways of learn: auditory, visual, kinesthetic. After of finding the best way, then you decide.

In relation to issue of "gratuity", well, there is no free lunch, you are already paying in a certain way through your data, you understand? The other question about his "hatred of books", look, the hatred is generally motivated by fear, anger or injury suffered, as well as the desire to avoid, limit or destroy its purpose.

I hope have helped in some way and thanks for the question.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not read anything at all. Read a few articles about the combination and everything else is my personal experience.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Well, true. Books are overrated. I believe if you have above average iq you can wright your own poker book with some experience (2 years, maybe more). But some books can be helpful. You can read something that you would understand a bit or much later by yourself. :)

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some really good players have written books. You can get a peak into the mind of some of the greatest in poker with their books...
You can probably learn most of the concepts elsewhere too but it will definitively not hurt to read some good books too...

For tournaments....would you agree that Harrington’s original series of books are still very relevant or no?
I know he has an updated tournament book which came out a few years ago, but I haven’t read it.

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't hate poker books or other books in general. I think reading or listening some books is helpfull for all of us. Currently a very special formu guy helped me with a poker mindset book. I am half way in and it's life changing. At least for me.

CTAPYXA

CTAPYXA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd like to read some. The shops in my town don't sell poker books. There is no time to read on the Internet.