This is a discussion on How to Be Consistent and Winning ? within the online poker forums, in the Learning Poker section; Hello Everyone,
Im new here. Its been a great experience to play this beautiful game called POKER ( I play only NL Holdem). Being a software
Im new here. Its been a great experience to play this beautiful game called POKER ( I play only NL Holdem). Being a software Engineer i really hate my job ( Though well paid , i hate having a BOSS ) . I learnt poker over an year ago. Started investing a few months ago but im failing in some or the other thing . Sometimes i really do good cash in the cash games and suddenly i check into a tournament where i fail to make the profit ad i go broke. Also i face an issue with my tilt. While playing o a high stake i make very good profit say on DAY 1. Well on a DAY 2 i lose few hands on high stakes and my BANKROLL goes down. Well to be o track i try to play in low stakes but really get tilted cause my loss on high stakes keep wandering my mind ( This is the worst problem im facing ).
Basically im really respected towards all the successful players over here to give some good tips on
1) How to choose games ( when to chose a cash game and when to chose a tournament )
2) How to manage a BANKROLL.
3) How many hours in a day is usually good to play ?
4) How to avoid tilt when you LOSE on a particular day such that you dont play really bad get frustrated after losing streak.
Thanks in Advance,
25th December 2014, 6:45 PM
Online Poker at: carbon
1. data on yourself is important. figure out what you profit in and stick to it.
2. the are many bankroll management systems and info on this.
3. this one is up to you. but keep your priorities in order.
4. self discipline. tilt is all on you. ive heard players says someone put them on tilt. I can only say nope you did that to yourself. Once you come back from last place to win a tourney youll never tilt again. Things are going to happen to make you mad but turn the page get over it and build that stack back up.
25th December 2014, 7:17 PM
Thank you very much for your reply "rancidcarp". This should really help me out. I could really play some amazing poker. But improper Time and Money management are screwing me up. Will start inducing these points in my play. Hope i get much more desciplined and keep a onsistent winning.
" Poker is an absolute Karma - What you do, will get back at you "
26th December 2014, 9:58 AM
Online Poker at: pokerstars
Use bankroll at least $ 30 buy-ins. Play until you will not feel tired and fall of attention unless time permits. If you feel that you begin to play stop and wait out.
26th December 2014, 3:48 PM
re: Poker & How to Be Consistent and Winning ?
Thanks for your input "wowasenotrusov". Now im practicing to keep a check on myself by concentrating for very high stretch of hours in free roll .
27th December 2014, 1:28 AM
Online Poker at: Pokerstars
Game: NL Holdem
Freerolls can teach you some bad habits due to extremely poor play but they will teach you two very important aspects of poker: discipline and pantience. These two will help you to cope with tilting.
27th December 2014, 1:33 AM
Poker at: Merge WPN
I am no poker pro but can give you some advice on what I know.
1) At this point in time I would choose to play cash games or tournaments. If you have some tracking software it would be beneficial to see where you have been making profits so far then focus on that whether it be cash, sngs, or mtts.
2) If you choose to go to the MTT route then do not expect to cash in majority of these and do not get discouraged as you will lost most of the time. In cash games I suggest playing a limit that gives you 20-40 max buyins.
3) Hours/day is mainly a personal preference. A professional may play as much as possible but I suggest you set aside some of this time for studying and not just playing.
4) Just cause you lost a hand does not mean you played the hand wrong. This is the main thing I try to remember when I lose a hand I feel I should have won. If you find yourself starting to tilt then just stop for the day.
Hope someone goes more in-depth for you. Once you pick a specific game you will be playing, more people will be able to help you develop your game.
27th December 2014, 1:57 PM
Online Poker at: titanpoker
1. I would start with cash games, or tournaments with small number of entrants. If you play in tourneys with large number of players, you will have a steady drain on your bankroll until you finally win one and then your bankrol will take a big jump
2) Manage your bankroll by choosing games so that you only use a small portion of your bankroll (say 2%) to buy into any game. Example, if you have $200 bankroll, then don't buy into a game with more than $4.00. Note: this buy-in should preferably be the max buyin that you can do on that table. Then, once your bankroll increases to $400, you can move up so you can bring in $8.00 buy, and increase your limits.
3) If you want this to be your job, then treat it like such and play this many hours. If this is a hobby, then play any number of hours, as long as you are enjoying it.
4) Avoid tilt by consitently making the correct plays. If someone sucks out on you, then tell yourself, that eventually the money will come back to you. If you are loosing because you are playing bad (i.e. consitently chasing inside straight draws), then take a break from the game for a couple of hours, and do something else that you enjoy.
27th December 2014, 2:45 PM
Poker at: pokerstars
I have a similar problem. The soul'm a gambler, and therefore did not consistent in maintaining bankroll. As soon as I start losing to me to be a gambler who wants to win vadi.Moram themselves and remain consistent when you plan something with how much they can lose it here and stop playing that day! Because of my flaws and avoid cash games.
27th December 2014, 2:50 PM
Online Poker at: pokerstars
re: Poker & How to Be Consistent and Winning ?
These simple steps work
Once you learn to play solid, and what the right range really is to be playing per your position on the table their really isn't to much more you need to do in that area of your game that part is like riding a bike.
Once you do that, next comes putting players on ranges, and becoming good post flop, not leaking chips etc
Narrow your range until you have alot of experience or your going to experience lots of bad stuff lots of tilt lots of swings lots of dumb sh** that we don't really need to go through to make a profit.
Also its like ying and yang, good loose players profit from tight players, skillful loose players make more because they will better know your hand. Tight players profit from bad loose
Regarding bankroll management if you play cash games on a site where there are lots of tables you in theory can potentially beat bad variance, since you have a lot more chance of finding a table that suits your most profitable style (you will figure that out yourself)
Swings are harder when you grind without selection since you have no say in who you play.
Regarding hours a day set yourself a goal, for example start small, your goal might be to pay for a holiday or add 5k to your annual income - cover your bills.
Not very many people get rich from poker so don't set to high a goal because it will distract you from the important things and also you will suffer more emotional swings.
if you focus on the right things, control your emotions poker can support you in having a very comfortable life always have a career path as well, or always follow your true life purpose because it manifests better things into your life, and you will find positive energy and positive life experiences will massively effect your poker game in good ways.
never make it your sole income unless you have thousands, like running a business.
Actual fact, most losing players that study the game are long term losing players because of themselves not because they suck at poker
= Thats extremely important to remember
29th December 2014, 3:33 AM
Poker at: acr
I have picked a site I will play 3 tournaments a day when healthy enough have health concerns at times but EASTERN TIME ZONES
acr or black chip sleeves 4:45 pm 0.50 rebuy add on 500 guaranteee
7:15 pm 10 cent 100 guarantee
and 11:15 pm 2.00 nl bounty
now im in a lot of forums and leagues and play up to 7 US rooms a day freerolls and other events.
These are the three targets for now for me for the next 2-3 months. Is same group of players each tourney takes 5 hours to even 7 to win.
Is same guys will be playing in next level say 5.00 buy ins and the 1000 or higher guarantees.
So my advice is like I am doing draw a plan. Stick to it see how you do than when ready go to next level etc..
I am going to bed tonight and had horrendous time of the 7pm tourney lol and the other 5 ish tourney. Bad beats. Anyway hope this helps a little so you can make a plan If you so choose. For me breaking down players sites etc.. is what works getting notes for future and than when am totally happy with knowledge readiness ATTACK lol