Racism in Poker

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So... "What do YOU PEOPLE think?" about Racism in Poker?

I mean have you felt discriminated against when Playing Poker either online or in live games?

I Know I have...

This Thread is for those who want to release a little tension by airing when they feel they were causally discriminated against while going to Poker Venues or maybe the way they've been treated online (Poker related).

Example: Live poker event wont let me wear my "burka" but every one has hoodies... I'm last to have my bar order taken, Every time "Whats that about?"...

For me one thing that annoys me is Every time I Need to show ID, My British Passport say's "Place of Birth Kitwe" and then the most dumbest question comes next "Are you British?" lol ummm its a British Passport so I'd guest Yes I am!!

Please don't let this thread turn into a mad crazy argument that only Trillian can save me from...

This thread ties into another thread previously live on CardsChat...

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/who-witnessed-cases-offenses-even-racism-351783/

Daniel has some interesting things to say about Racism in Poker too... https://fullcontactpoker.com/how-racist-are-you/

P

pokerpie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Racism should hold no place at the poker table or anywhere else, racism is blatant hate and nothing good comes from it. I tend to keep my chat closed anyways and focus on the poker, not what people are talking about during play.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Racism should hold no place at the poker table or anywhere else, racism is blatant hate and nothing good comes from it. I tend to keep my chat closed anyways and focus on the poker, not what people are talking about during play.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]one of the right decisions at the gaming table

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try and spread my bigotry across all areas of my life-equally. If I only acted that way at the poker table... That'd be racist.
:smokin:

John_3_16

John_3_16

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only in the most minor ways.

I mean have you felt discriminated against when Playing Poker either online or in live games?

I Know I have...

This Thread is for those who want to release a little tension by airing when they feel they were causally discriminated against while going to Poker Venues or maybe the way they've been treated online (Poker related).

Example: Live poker event wont let me wear my "burka" but every one has hoodies... I'm last to have my bar order taken, Every time "Whats that about?"...

For me one thing that annoys me is Every time I Need to show ID, My British Passport say's "Place of Birth Kitwe" and then the most dumbest question comes next "Are you British?" lol ummm its a British Passport so I'd guest Yes I am!!

Please don't let this thread turn into a mad crazy argument that only Trillian can save me from...

This thread ties into another thread previously live on CardsChat...

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/who-witnessed-cases-offenses-even-racism-351783/
Daniel has some interesting things to say about Racism in Poker too... https://fullcontactpoker.com/how-racist-are-you/

Not in a racial or sexual way. Pro's looking down on an amateur. Locals looking down on an outsider. That sort of thing.

I do get very agitated when someone uses chat to denigrate another player by calling them racist names & making racist remarks about them or their play. It gets extremely ugly at times. Thing is, this is a stranger. The bonehead making the remarks does not know the color or even the sex of the player. Just transferring hate for the sake of hating. To a stranger. Anyone playing online freerolls has witnessed this I am sure.

Seems we are living in ever more dangerous times. Schools, churches, hotels, etc. No one & no place seems safe from hate & stupidity any more. Evil using their weapons to simply hurt a stranger they don't like. To them, it does not have to make sense or be right.

GL & God bless. :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :pcguru: :fight:

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is new word "burka".
You commet '

My British Passport say's "Place of Birth Kitwe" and then the most dumbest question comes next "Are you British?"
'
....... lol? Some people are arrogant.
My good friend, he was born Kenya,
He is living maybe 20 years or more USA and passport for USA. He has a wife (she is white lady) and his daughter. He speaks 3 different language. You should give him a passport and tell them, "Are you living from USA?"
(google language) John said "je, wewe ni wajinga?" (Are you stupid?)

Im so sorry about that. :(

John_3_16

John_3_16

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Confused by your last comment...

That is new word "burka".
You commet '

My British Passport say's "Place of Birth Kitwe" and then the most dumbest question comes next "Are you British?"
'
....... lol? Some people are arrogant.
My good friend, he was born Kenya,
He is living maybe 20 years or more USA and passport for USA. He has a wife (she is white lady) and his daughter. He speaks 3 different language. You should give him a passport and tell them, "Are you living from USA?"
(google language) John said "je, wewe ni wajinga?" (Are you stupid?)

Am I the "John" you are referring to? Nowhere in my post did I ask if Poster #1 was stupid? Nowhere. My post is there above yours. Prove your accusation. You do not need to apologize for something that does not exist or never happened.

My post was 100% in support of Inequitas's point. Still is.

"burka" is not new. It is a covering or wrap used by some Muslim/Islamic women in public as required by their beliefs/religion.

FYI... :confused: :idea: :dancing2:

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So as a Mixed race player , I've seen racism of all forms. Online people spew out racial slurs because well....its online , so everybody's a tough guy. Live games I've only had one event where racism was aimed towards me and all the other times was overhearing a ton of racial slurs and stereotypes. You dont see it a lot but it is definitely there.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rascism and tribalism will always exist due to the 100s of different nationalities,customs and religions and lack of empathy or knowedge and understanding from narrow minded people too.

DNA crosses man made borders though every human on the planet is related to each other if go back far enough which makes all the wars and hate and racism in the world ridiculous all through history,
But this is the dark side of human nature which filters down from governments going to war dehumanising other people to the average Joe on the street.
No matter what some keyboard warrior said to me while playing poker would not bother me as have heard some ridiculous things over the years and am well desensitised now.:hahaha:
CoNpW7kUsAAVXoy.jpg

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Am I the "John" you are referring to?

FYI... :confused: :idea: :dancing2:

I Love You Both, for giving some of your time to express your views here... You're both Awesome people, actually every one who posts a reply here is pretty awesome but none more than you two...

Thank You so much... You've Both given me some thing to giggle about which is great considering the seriousness of the topic...

I get called "Donk" alot and combinations of "Donk" and a lot of profanity... could that be considered a derogatory/discriminatory term? I suppose for me it's how it makes you feel about your self that matters when you're called names really...

Some people have confused me with some one of Mediterranean Origins then I've asked them why, "Is it my hooked nose? is it my olive skin?" once someone said I looked Sudanese lol I don't consider how people perceive me so much until someone comments on where they think I'm from or when they say "Go back to where you came from" which most of the time is two streets away...

Thank You Guys for Your Posts I really appreciate the time you've taken to say some thing that matters..

TheniT

TheniT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There really is racism everywhere and in poker it's no different, I've been called a monkey because I'm Brazilian, I'm of Caucasian origin, but my origin matters little, we're all the same.

rbackmann

rbackmann

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I give little credence to people who are racist. I think shine a light on it when it exists.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While it's an awful, awful thing that I wish didn't exist, it does. Racism exists in almost everything. It's 2019 so I really can't comprehend how people can still have derogatory views against certain races, sexes, or sexual orientations, but alas here we are living in a world where some women still don't have the right to votes, where being gay is illegal, and social segregation is still prominent.

D

domfudao

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything relationed a racism is ridicolous.. this is my opinion.

R

Russian Idiot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the sake of good money in poker you have to endure everything, play and make money, shame on all racists, peace on the world !!!

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
if someone is trying to determine an intelligent person or a stupid, good and evil by nationality, then most likely this person just slept badly and did not understand what he was talking about)))))))

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Geez this one is the nuts. Yeah well some people do this out of ignorance or disbelief (due to their own mental biases) and some may or may not be doing this "with bad intention." But peoples intentions are bountiful as they are. That said, just keep cool and handle it professionally and when you can, insist on your rights. Kudos!

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if someone is trying to determine an intelligent person or a stupid, good and evil by nationality, then most likely this person just slept badly and did not understand what he was talking about)))))))

Yep. People are in end effect simply people. Some walk up at the wrong side of the bed, some are dumb, some dont react graciously even if its their job and hence appear so bad/racist.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

You must be too good for that poker room. They probably should tell you what poker place to play at. Yes that does happen a lot to me and I getting better and better at the BS they have to do to me to stop my winning. Its kind of a challenge when you think about it.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Geez this one is the nuts. That said, just keep cool and handle it professionally and when you can, insist on your rights. Kudos!

Thank You...

Actually I've (tongue in cheek) been waiting for some one to pick up on the "YOU PEOPLE" part of my post lol I can see you enjoyed it... Yes it's the Nuts I love it...

tazzmaster62

tazzmaster62

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive never seen it in tourney lobbys.

this is the first time ive heard it in poker.
its in the news or on the streets its.

people have no morals its dissgusting period.
dont matter what color or who you are.
we are all the same on the inside.

W

who115

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know as a woman I get snoddy comments playing online. Lots of bullies on here. I don't let it bother me though. I actually get pleasure out of beating them!! ;-)

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion those who think they haven't seen it are not paying attention. This is very prevalent in my opinion. Even on the forums in live hand histories people make reads based on race stereotypes. People table select based on race, and people obviously make comments based on race. Online, I haven't seen much chat but the chat I do see is mostly tilt rage chat which will use any negative language available. If a picture or country or name suggests a minority it is often used to bash. It's easier not to notice this if you are part of the majority. But for minorities I think it's a lot more obvious. On the bright side, you can use other players bias against them in some situations. It's just unfortunate and disappointing that as much progress as we think we make in this regard we are still SOOOO far from even being able to see a finish line.