Has Poker Changed much?

P

PokerSki

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Has Poker Changed much? I think compared to 5 years ago, the game is very different.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The cash games are definitely tougher, micro tournaments haven't changed as much.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If anything micros are getting easier to beat as everyone is trying to play LAG styles. A good LAG is very hard to beat but the vast majority attemtping it just end up bad aggressive. Plus with GTO being such a fixation these days many players seem incapable of making even small adjustments.

zsoltyx2

zsoltyx2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in my opinion it did not change

some tournaments are different but they are also classical ones

Last edited by a moderator:
R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If judged only by tournaments, since I don’t play at cash tables, I don’t see any changes.

A

abyk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when online poker first came out, there were a lot of players that were really terrible, the level of play was very easy

online poker is a lot harder to make money now

plastilin898

plastilin898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just started playing, so I'll see if poker has changed in 5 years)

P

PokerSki

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Five years ago, I would get called by Ace High like once a month, these days I get called by King high like everyday.

So I think the game is very different.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Has Poker Changed much? I think compared to 5 years ago, the game is very different.

Same 52 cards, flop-turn and river routine.
But comparing to 5-10 year interval, there is much more information about poker available to all. thousands of youtube channels, and there is no need for new players to read anything, they can watch and listen now, so in this field the poker has evolved.

also

The poker gods are trying to get rid of fish-donk terminology, cause it's a form of bullying and the sponsors of daily broadcast are leaving poker because suddenly they realise that they're the fish.

Instead of fish-donk, there is a new terminology, for example GTO player,
Game Theory Optimal....
It's like trying to exploit opponents weaknesses by playing trash hands agressively and playing monster hands slowly.
To me it sounds like they're trying to rob the robber using weak play as a weapon and Nash's theory as a relaxing explanation pill why the fish won that pre-flop all-in with K7os or lost with AA during post-flop play.

So the game hasn't changed at all, same story wrapped into new cover. by the end of the day poker platform swallows all money using rake, some poker mules(pros-regs) maybe will bite some cash, and others-majority will have to go to work in the morning to make a deposit in the evening. And in result there is absolutely no useful product created for the society, just millions and millions human-hours washed away into the toilet of flop-turn-river. Objectively online poker is close to waepon os mss destrction, if we'll convert average human life into hours, and we'll check how many human-hours are spent per day at poker platforms - we will see that these 52 cards are erasing millions of human-hours like if they have never existed and the funny part of it is that people also pay to get rid of their time, getting a small dose of serotonine increasement if they win something or anger and tilt when they lose.:idea: That's poker... don't forget to live a life while you're playing it.

V

vhung1111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two changes: most use HUDs now (more so than in the past) and (alleged) rampant use of bots and collusion.

But that’s just tech advancing, for me, I’m not doing it for a living, but it can be a serious issue for serious/pro players.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really! Just a lot of people started reading a lot! Let's just say teaching literature, so it seems that has changed! I would say have begun to understand! And Yes! All are trends are changing, the world is not standing still! I'm talking about online. In offline of course little that changed! If only life has improved and people have become more open, more willing to take risks, to bluff. Nothing to say so without risking.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Yes , for sure poker changed a lot in past 5 years. This happened because the information was more accesible , a lot of helpfull softs appeared(PT, HM and so on). Also a lot of good players started to share information via streams or videos.

L

Ltech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
New poker old rules

The game is the same, people are always new, facing the mental challenge of overcoming their limits and extracting value in the most profitable way possible. Each one has its style and its preferred cards, poker has not changed in those years, however the internet has made possible the worldwide adhesion of new players.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great question! What about size of raises pre-flop? I heard someone say they used to be 3BB but got smaller 2.5 or 2BB. (This might be only in tourneys.) Also with the smaller size raise there's supposed to be more flatting and less folding from the Big Blind because the odds are more attractive. Do others agree?

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
from 5 yrs ago more ppl i think are playing bingo, i just got dealt aces first hand and call an all in and get beat with k 4 smh either that there's just more idiots playing but my win rate's def gone down compared to 5 yrs ago and my style hasn't changed i'm just getting coolered after coolered

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes, poker has changed a lot. There was a time that no limited hold'em was a much more post flop game. Players used to work based on their skills throughout the streets to come, and, eventually, down to the river. Now poker is more inclined to be played at one street, with bet, 3bet, 4bet pre flop, to say just a few.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there is one local saying which can describe situation "small swamp full of crocodiles"

TheniT

TheniT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There is no doubt that poker has changed a lot in that period of time and I witnessed this being that the cash game was the hardest hit, getting harder to win, the tournaments have not changed much.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Online poker has greatly impacted the way poker is played. Before it wasn't really available to a wide audience. Read up on the Moneymaker effect, it's what really changed the way poker is played. Not Chris himself, but after his WSOPME win, poker exploded and became a worldwide phenomenon. poker sites became huge in the online world and are still growing today. With all of the new players and new schools of thought on how to play has made an already complex game even more challenging. Players are ultra aggressive, play a wider range of hands from different positions, ect. So, yes, poker has changed a lot and I expect it to keep changing, growing and developing.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the only differences is bots and that people become to play poker much better, so right now it,s harder to earn anything in poker.

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely it's changed a ton and not for the better. Granted there are a lot more skilled players but there are also a lot more crazy reckless lucksacks

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the last 5 years, I don't think tournament have changed much. But in the last 10+, yes. Back in the day, I just intuited that the chips you have are worth more than the chips you might win. And this leads to play that's more in line with ICM as well. That's the way I played long before ICM was a popular term. Nowadays, I think a lot more players understand ICM and the games are tougher. But again, that's vs. 10+ years ago, not 5.

W

who115

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree poker has changed. Live poker is also so much different than online poker. It amazes me online how many times in a showdown the worst hand wins!! You never see that in live poker, not as often anyway...

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol The game hasn't changed in 50 years... the players are just better.
I think available information has gotten better? Imagine if Stu Unger, Johnny Moss and Amarillo Slim had the tools and information we have available to us? But the same can be said for everything right? If Muhammad Ali had been born 20 years later and had the head protection, there's always evolution.poker is no different.