Moral Issues Related to Gambling

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether we like to admit it or not,Poker in some ways is related to gambling.

“As much as we'd like to separate poker from gambling, poker played for money is gambling.”- Daniel Negreanu.

“‘Gambling is an addictive behavior, make no mistake about it. It has all the properties of a psychoactive substance. It changes the neurochemistry of the brain.’ In other words, the excitement of the possibility of winning a huge sum of money, with minimal investment, has a narcotic-like effect on the brain — that calls for greater and greater risks, in the hope of that ‘big’ win.” -Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, of the Harvard Medical School Division on Addictions.

But the question is,when would you consider this as a “moral” problem?

Feel free to share your opinions and thoughts.:top:

Last edited by a moderator:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you mean moral instead of morale - so will change the thread title and edit your post. :)

For me it is not a moral issue at all. It only becomes a moral issue if someone is careless and out of control with their finances when it comes to playing poker - and their gambling issues have a negative impact on other people.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you mean moral instead of morale - so will change the thread title and edit your post. :)

For me it is not a moral issue at all. It only becomes a moral issue if someone is careless and out of control with their finances when it comes to playing poker - and their gambling issues have a negative impact on other people.

Lol,thanks Debi.

Yeah I agree with your opinion too.

dan5379

dan5379

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it's all about the person. If they get out of control with there stakes then that's when it becomes an addiction. If you can be in control i do not see any problems with it being a moral issue. Good point though as i'm sure there are many sad stories involving big bankrolls that have disappeared from there owner threw bad decisions. Good luck all from bonnie Scotland

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it's all about the person. If they get out of control with there stakes then that's when it becomes an addiction. If you can be in control i do not see any problems with it being a moral issue. Good point though as i'm sure there are many sad stories involving big bankrolls that have disappeared from there owner threw bad decisions. Good luck all from bonnie Scotland

Yeah,its all about one's ability in self control and in maintaining a proper brm

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no moral issues with gambling as it is just one of many many outlets for an adictive personality to lose control over. I do have a major moral issue with the lack of mental health care worldwide....its time for the human race to realize that mental health problems cause all of the worlds issues.....all of them

bizarez

bizarez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Morality or immorality of Poker seems to me depends on the morality of each individual player. If psycho sit behind the wheel of the truck and drive along the Promenade des Anglais and killed many people - it's make moral or immoral the car? If gamers in the "one-armed bandit" put all the money the family and leave the children to starve - the machine is immoral? It was only a matter of personal brakes - personal morality and willingness to stop game if lost and lose again!

N

Nutcracker69

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no moral issues with gambling as it is just one of many many outlets for an adictive personality to lose control over. I do have a major moral issue with the lack of mental health care worldwide....its time for the human race to realize that mental health problems cause all of the worlds issues.....all of them

I think you just offended me... but you weren't totally clear so I don't know.

N

Nutcracker69

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought this was going to be in line with like views of Dan Colman and many others who like the fact that they're good at this "game" and that it has made them rich, but dislike the fact that they're literally taking money from other people to accomplish this.

THAT'S the moral dilemna, if there is one.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you just offended me... but you weren't totally clear so I don't know.

I didnt mean to. Just saying if available and affordable...and better...mental health programs were made available then many people addicted to anything would be able to get help. The responsibility and guilt should not be on the players. Do bars feel guilty when an alcoholic comes in and drinks even though they cant afford it? Probably not unless a super drunk person is going to drive...but then the issue is a legal one against the bar and not the bar feeling guilty

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought this was going to be in line with like views of Dan Colman and many others who like the fact that they're good at this "game" and that it has made them rich, but dislike the fact that they're literally taking money from other people to accomplish this.

THAT'S the moral dilemna, if there is one.

If they truely 100% felt this way they wouldnt play. I say they are just saying this to make others feel better about them....like saying killing people is wrong but then joining the marines during wartime

Or they are calling themselves immoral

Last edited:
emk211

emk211

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Morals in any circumstance comes down to making a conscious effort to do the right thing and not the selfish thing, sometimes we have to sacrifice for others at our own expense, knowing this, is the difference between being moral or immoral.

SnakeEyeLiarDie

SnakeEyeLiarDie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure how to interpret your question.

Gambling for me is no more of a "moral" issue than doing anything else. It only becomes an issue when you're addicted or breaking the law. Just as driving a car becomes a moral issue when you're drunk or disobeying traffic signals.

S

sponsor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It does become a morale issue too...if you start losing !

leandrette

leandrette

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess the moral is variable in the eyes of who will judge..
it seems that if you do not meet the moral requirements demanded by others or by himself,, then you should be ashamed
I personally do not feel shame or immorality, even if I lose
I like the freedom to choose, and if someone chooses to harm others with their addictive game ..I guess there are laws to stop it ...
I think one knows if it harms others with their behavior ... is the question, as you can lower the number of people who lose control of themselves cause the game?

Mortis

Mortis

Skeleton Crew
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To me, poker is a game. And I enjoy games. I don't do it for the gambling aspect, all though that does make it more meaningful.

I disagree with the statement, "Gambling is an addictive behavior." An addict can become addicted to anything, because addiction is mostly attributed to having an addictive personality. Now, there are some drugs that will change the chemical balance in your brain that can cause addiction to them. But those with an addictive personality can become addicted to anything from gambling, sex, food, video games, etc. It depends on the person, not the activity.

N

Nutcracker69

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they truely 100% felt this way they wouldnt play. I say they are just saying this to make others feel better about them....like saying killing people is wrong but then joining the marines during wartime

Or they are calling themselves immoral

That was actually the point. I'm surprised you missed it. He gave TWO interviews. The first he called himself an immoral human being and the opposite of a role model or ambassador for the game. The 2nd interview was when he won Kara Scott had to basically beg him to say a couple words and it was very brief and meaningless. He didn't even seem happy. Like more glad to have bested Negreanu head's up than he was that he just took home like 20m.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see no reason for having moral problems with anything. The practical problems are completely different thing. If it somehow affects negatively your household or family members or children for example. Problems like these are practical problems and when these appear - the problem exists. Moral problems do not exist :icon_joke

W

Whiterosemov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the problem is just like what happens with drugs, alcohol (in the past) and other addictive stuff. Moral should not even be discussed in those cases, if something can cause addiction, instead of banning it and creating a black market where people can be really screwed, just let people play whatever game they want since it's not rigged and the person playing is an adult and is fully aware of the rules.

And just like opiates like oxycontin, some people will really get addicted and lose huge ammounts of money, but that's destructive behaviour that requires medical treatment and the major sites, like pokerstars and others, should have tools to detect people that are playing huge ammounts and losing it all and to warn some people in the family or something. I don't know, but I don't think any company would care with anything besides profits anyway, so it's just a vague tought

Last edited:
L

L0RDVAD3R

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gambling is only a problem if you loose.

But seriously, if losing is really upsetting, it's not a game anymore. It's just a gamble. We should all feel sorry for those players who make lots of money from the 'game' but don't enjoy it.
I'd rather lose and be happy.

But seriously , that last part was almost completely not true.

sergey ptz

sergey ptz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the most dangerous development of dependence.

U

UrbanBourbon

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see a moral issue with gambling at all.

N

Nutcracker69

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another example of a clearly wasted post by me. Someone asks a question, I come up with the ONLY example of a high-profile player who questions the morality of the game and his rationale and there are 24 posts in here now with like one responding to me. It's like you guys just want to blah blah blah and not have actual discourse because you ignore the only good post here and spout the same nonsense that the other 23 already stated.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling