Luck or Skill: Which is More Important?

V

Vonick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well you have to know the game and have the skill to calculate your pos and each hand and make some good gueses about your opponrnts hand, but....you have to be lucky too.there is a percentage i think about 60-40 skill luck.

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
both important but skill more important.. you can create luck if you have good skill.. "bluff"

Nazar Fedyk

Nazar Fedyk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Psychology also plays a big role, often high skilled players know how to read their opponents and catch crazy bluffs

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Key to the success of finding the weaknesses of opponents and their operation.
A card, so only the tool for that ... So - the ability to

macthemax

macthemax

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BE
Chips
i think you need them both, how good you are without some luck, i think its gonna be harder to win.

M

Mazak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO more important is skill, luck is also needed like in every RNG game much more important than luck is ability to hide your emotions ;)

Tulipaneiro

Tulipaneiro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name :D

S

SweatPea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
combination of both, skill prevails, but theres a lot of variance.. having luck always helps. i say 80%skill 20% luck

A

adrianB1989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill is the most important,if you have enough skill you can avoid luck.For me it's 90% skill and 10% luck

Doblador bus

Doblador bus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many new players, even not so beginners who assert that in poker the most important are the results and money, that everything else are fables that people are invented to justify their performances when these, the results, do not accompany.
These players are probably right in part because poker is, of course, a game where the most important are the results, but not in the short term as they believe. The goal of poker is to make money, but as if it were a marathon, in the long term and that is only achieved with correct decisions, even though at the time have not provided the expected results.

D

Dajamo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill.
Skill and knowledge are more important if you as me. Knowing when to fold and stuff.
You can't win without luck though. At least that is my opinion.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two player with same amount of luck competes 1 million hands, which player of these has more money after this?

Derifish17

Derifish17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mainly win online wen I get some luck but wen I play live its all about the skill

L

Lila66

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that skill and continuous improvement, both tehnically and mentally, is a lot more important than luck.

P

plyto777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with the previous commentator. luck is important but it is secondary - important skill!

B

bravissim0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that ability. Because win big tournaments the players who work very hard on my game. Random winners are very few.

N

Narcizzist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everybody needs luck here and there but the better player is going to win more often than not.

Poor players dont fluke their way to tournament wins.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the shorter the time frame the more luck is important the longer the time frame the more skill is important

diadiavalik

diadiavalik

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All these factors are very important. But it is important to be a good psychologist and the ability to read the enemy and do not open it. Good luck and eating ability to hide their emotions.
Opponents could not prochytat feet.
The ability to read the enemy, and then good luck to good luck!

Last edited:
Vin Keyzone

Vin Keyzone

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Statistics is the key. The Law of Probability plays a big factor. It may not be 100% accurate but knowing the odds should direct you to an intelligent decision. But intuition plays a big role when trying to read an opponent. Think too much you miss on signals given out by your opponent. You observe and feel too much you then make premature and irrational decisions.

You need to find the balance....

GRANDPAPA929

GRANDPAPA929

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The ability to play always comes first, but good luck in the game never hurts.

Emixilian

Emixilian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is very important on a short session of poker .. but skill comes in when you play poker longer, and the luck is in your hands somehow

sakenby

sakenby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck will not help to win the tournament overall,but in individual the distribution of luck is essential...

J

Jacob123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed, in a tournament it will most likely be skill that gets you close to the final table, but you are likely to need some form of luck to win