Luck or Skill: Which is More Important?

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think they are equally important. If you put too much emphasis on skill when your running bad you get to down on yourself or tilted and start playing bad and extend the downswing. If you realize that luck does play an important part I find it's easier to ride out a downswing knowing shit happens

C

Clint Dohrman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u have deff have to have luck to win a tourney but cash games is all about skill.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the long run skill, in the short run luck. If you are heads up with someone at the end of a tourney and they have all the luck there's not much you can do about it.

J

John Bor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a rather controversial issue
I think if people rely on luck it could lose its entire capital. But if luck will be helped then this person become very rich
In poker there are so many people that believe only in luck
. They often hope that luck will help them win. But this is not true
I think that skills are more important. Therefore, everyone should learn and try to gain more and more experience

vvalente

vvalente

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill, right. Luck will help you one time or another, but only the ability will keep you in the long run.

SlimHeperpokerstars

SlimHeperpokerstars

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check out my latest blog on the link below and let me know if you think luck or skill is more important for success in tournament poker.

Skill is the base of each player. I would compare it to the diamond that I just got from the river) Luck is also a diamond, only the one to which the hand of the master, who limited it, touched! Without a foundation (skills) you can not make faces, and without faces your diamond will not be full, it will not be what it can be, it can not shine and sparkle, letting sunlight through! Luck and skill things are inseparable, I think this one whole!:)

K

karkachi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say that 90% is skill and the rest is lucky.

J

Jazeapokergod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NLHE is 50% luck, 50% skill. Playing in tournaments it's more like 70% skill in my view. I play alot of SNG'S online, and I see the same names over and over getting there. Especially at microstakes, if you're consistently outlasting dons at that level, it's not just luck.

Alex Melnik

Alex Melnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill and patience. Well, where to without luck)

E

EvE2K

You need skill in the game to understand how to win in poker. Also you need a luck, because sometimes you made a right moves but still can,t win. If you will have this 2 things you will be successful in poker.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check out my latest blog on the link below and let me know if you think luck or skill is more important for success in tournament poker.

The ability to play comes from experience, and if you are lucky then you are a lucky man

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Luck is very important, but to be a successful player over the longer term, skill is essential.

I like this quote
"Poker is a combination of luck and skill. People think mastering the skill part is hard, but they’re wrong. The trick to poker is mastering the luck." - Jesse May

thaipang

thaipang

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck does not exist. It's all math.The problem is that mathematics inclines towards you

J

John Bor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want know answer on that question.
then read that article
\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\
\\\
-------------https://www.wired.com/2012/11/luck-and-skill-untangled-qa-with-michael-mauboussin/

T

TheLegend27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd rather be lucky than have skill any day. Any Poker Player worth their salt can agree with that statement.

That being said, luck runs out eventually. :)

J

John Bor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started playing, I also thought about it
because it is quite an important issue

Antulio francis

Antulio francis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This question makes me kind of strange I think poker is a game of knowledge and not 1% of luck poker comes down to knowledge and dedication to luck and factor that you play bad without thinking if you stop to think poker has a logic as Value cards played in any position has the advantage of being the best range of cards and other cards type 1098765432 are played in a bad situation or where you have a percentage of hit based on a pot created there yes it can be profitable to wrap up in this situation more if You play a hand 56off against AK if you hit your hand in case 56 this does not mean that you got lucky or not you just hit your hand the deck is based on 4 suits for all the cards then you hit your cards It's not luck that's my thinking, gl at the tables.

M

Mcash2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard-learned skill obviously. Luck is merely a short-term variance in life's long algorithm.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Skill and skills of the game mean a lot in poker, luck is also very important. But, despite this, you still need to convince yourself that the skill will always prevail over success in the long game.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SKILL.. not because lucks not a fäctor and that you can go card dead for long periods.Its because certain players always go deep and thats not luck

froggeedogs

froggeedogs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
skill or luck?

A lot of good comments here. Skill matters by far the most. If a player relies on luck, when that changes, he/she has nothing left and won't last.

M

mrflip09

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy more luck then skill......i wouldnt call it a skill knowing when to fold when u have nothing! just common sense! so hitting a 5% river is skill? its almost all luck from the cards u get preflop to every card on the board...u control none of it! if anything u can ask what's more, luck or having balls?

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
To be successful as a poker player you need to have many skills and establish a good strategy, however luck is always important as there is a percentage of chance in the game of poker.