Folding and the flop brings a monster.

B

BobZock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think everyone knows the situation.
You folded weak cards and the flopp brings a monster.
the next cards will be a stronger starting hand and we will not mind.
This again and again. How do you deal with it?

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to take control of the betting right away with all of my connectors, even 32 off. This way I can catch and play more of those monster hands, but it's not without risk. In tournaments I either lose quickly or get a big stack quickly and adjust my play from there.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stick to theory. It'll pay off in the long run.

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

Sometimes your right fold turns into a monster flop .I agree but when you fold it is a good fold .I can remember 5 days ago ....i had 44 ....5 way action flop was bad but turn was the 4 .I could win the tournament at one hand but my fold at flop was correct.Good luck at your tables.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I usually do not worry. What is folded, that is folded. So it is in the past, that you never can change. Some people even choose the option to completely hide their folded hands in front of themself. Maybe it would be also a possibility for you, if it concerns you too much and has effect on your game.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not something to pay attention to.

Focus purely on making good decisions, not the results of them.

P

PeedroZack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it’s commun, you need to play with your pre flop range and be peaceful, you cannot raise or call an 42s in the middle of the table for example, just in finals runs or something else, to press the others or save your stack

B

BobZock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the constructive answers. I'll Tillt after a few such hands and a Hero allin on next button^^

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once you fold , forget what you were holding and watch the action. Otherwise you'll start playing playing every crap hand you get and lose a ton. Play tight- play right.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its so brutal being in that marginal situation in which you have good equity but negative ICM and folding the kq suited to a 3-4x bb bet hurts my soul!!

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah but any hand has flopped full house potential. It is better to be with higher well combo hands.I play 23% of hands in MTT and I can't recall last time I folded something worthwhile that flopped.

DanyDGD

DanyDGD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well after losing so much and I repeat the same story I realized I was going to choose to risk little with the hands that had a color and were low. The rest is relative I would say that depends a lot on the day and the tournament will just be days You will win almost all the hands but other days you will lose in the first one with AA; and thats my friend is the magic of poker. The rest is psychology in the end.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My theory is, (assuming the program is somehow rigged to animate players to bet more), that the program was told to bring worthless flopcards to the players in the hand and bring the value cards on the turn and/or river) As you folded your cards, they are now in the worthless cards for the other players. And just to make you think, you MIGHT play them next time, they show you that ANY TWO CAN DO!!!!
Don't fall into that trap, stay with your hand range and play nice!
Even if I'm wrong, I read in the pokerstars RNG investigation, that the interaction of the player influences the cards to come. So if you had called, the flop would have been different.
As Kittycat above said: It is the past, it is folded, YOU are not in this hand.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is reason why you folded the hand. It is dead, move on. My experience, you get beat on the river with a weak hand. If you are priced in, then that sucks.

H

hermaeris

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My theory is, (assuming the program is somehow rigged to animate players to bet more), that the program was told to bring worthless flopcards to the players in the hand and bring the value cards on the turn and/or river) As you folded your cards, they are now in the worthless cards for the other players. And just to make you think, you MIGHT play them next time, they show you that ANY TWO CAN DO!!!!
Even if I'm wrong, I read in the pokerstars RNG investigation, that the interaction of the player influences the cards to come. So if you had called, the flop would have been different.

Wow. That is some kind of conspiracy theory. How does the system do that to EVERYONE? Of course, it matches my impression in many a situation, but I don't trust that impresseion.

What is the "RNG investigation"? Where can I read it?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What RNG investigation? The one where Stars said that mouse movement inputs affect the upcoming cards?

I have a different theory. The RNG (or the poker gods) decide when a particular player wins or loses. Doesn't matter what two cards they hold, but their past actions and plays make up their "karma". They don't like nits, so if a player just plays high pairs then that player will be getting set-mined. They don't like draw chasers, so if a player likes to chase straights or flushes then they will run into higher straights, higher flushes, boats and quads. They don't like limpers. Those players will hit their magic draws with trash cards but will find themselves up against an unlikely superior draw by the river. So what do they like? TAG/LAG hybrids that sometimes play like complete donkeys. That's the winning combination. Don't limp, but answer aggression with aggression.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow. That is some kind of conspiracy theory. How does the system do that to EVERYONE? Of course, it matches my impression in many a situation, but I don't trust that impresseion.

What is the "RNG investigation"? Where can I read it?

It was my own investigation and YES, it was the mouse movement mentioned by puzzlefish. we're getting a little off-topic now, but if you're interested, you may Google: Pokerstars, A case study, it's a nice pdf file over (as far as I remember) 2 millions played hands.

What RNG investigation? The one where Stars said that mouse movement inputs affect the upcoming cards?

I have a different theory. The RNG (or the poker gods) decide when a particular player wins or loses. Doesn't matter what two cards they hold, but their past actions and plays make up their "karma". They don't like nits, so if a player just plays high pairs then that player will be getting set-mined. They don't like draw chasers, so if a player likes to chase straights or flushes then they will run into higher straights, higher flushes, boats and quads. They don't like limpers. Those players will hit their magic draws with trash cards but will find themselves up against an unlikely superior draw by the river. So what do they like? TAG/LAG hybrids that sometimes play like complete donkeys. That's the winning combination. Don't limp, but answer aggression with aggression.

I love that, that explains, why I always lose to JJ but never win it, get dealt suited connectors in every 1.5 hand and my KK always flops or rivers an ace :icon_tong

G

Gr34tWh1t3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try not to look at it that way , I for once have a theory that helps me deal with situations like that by saying that every hands outcome would have been different if you were involved, this make it easy for me to cope with "I would have flopped nuts".

H

hermaeris

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was my own investigation and YES, it was the mouse movement mentioned by puzzlefish. we're getting a little off-topic now, but if you're interested, you may Google: Pokerstars, A case study, it's a nice pdf file over (as far as I remember) 2 millions played hands.

Thank you, I will look for it.

FerSilva8100

FerSilva8100

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it has to be based on the long term, because in calculating the percentages it will be profitable over time.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It hurts but you just get on with it.:):):)

L

luckstackin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey boss.... like others here have said, just move on. FOMO is no one's friend, ever. if you want to last, you have to be able to watch that happen without getting worked up over it. that feeling of regret for not playing the hand and frustration for "missing out" on potential chips is nothing more than greed.

the good news is that you've identified a trigger for those emotions, so you can work on doing something about it. a couple of ideas are:

write down a mantra that you read anytime that happens. (i made a good fold and that will pay me more in the long run.... etc)
establish a calming breathing routine (10 deep breaths, focusing on your breathing trying to clear your head) that you do whenever you experience this trigger and these emotions.

emotions are tricky, but if we are aware of our attitude (reaction to internal and external stimuli) then we can control our attitude, and thus control our emotions.

it is easy to say "forget about that hand and move on" but harder to actually do it. you have to deal with the problem, which is your emotional reaction to a very common and situation. anyway, hope that helps! i've personally found meditation is an awesome way to put this into practice. just have to have the discipline to actually do it when you catch yourself reacting a certain way to a certain situation.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just remember that there will be times when you will be behind and then you get the nuts on the flop. That helps make me feel a little better.

Folding in Poker