ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all , this question applies to both cash games & tourneys,
I have always had the feeling/fear that I could be missing vital hands (my winners ) while I'm away from the table, do other players feel this at times?
For example, if i only get 2 winning hands in say 90 mins, and i happen to step away from the felt when those 2 hands happen , then what? Does that ruin my game session?
In tournaments i usually wait for the break if I need to be away from the table, always fearing that if i was away (sitting out) and say AA came and i wasn't there to play it , then I'd be crushed. ...... help ?
I've seen pro's on tv simply stepping away from the table during a session with seemingly no fear at all of "missing out" ? Is this real, how do they do it? (Or do some players simply not rely on the cards all that much ?! )
Thanks

BHowell44

BHowell44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think players typically read into that sort of thing too much. I could be wrong, but I think there are more important things you should focus on and think about when at the table. The hands are going to come or not come regardless. Just hoping to be in the right place at the right time. Maybe while you are away from the table you would've gotten dealt AA, but had them cracked by 67 of hearts and busted. So who knows. Anything can happen:)

F

FunkNShine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think players typically read into that sort of thing too much. I could be wrong, but I think there are more important things you should focus on and think about when at the table. The hands are going to come or not come regardless. Just hoping to be in the right place at the right time. Maybe while you are away from the table you would've gotten dealt AA, but had them cracked by 67 of hearts and busted. So who knows. Anything can happen:)

Pretty much this. I'll come back from a hand I've missed and see what I had maybe AA or AQ suited, smack my forehead, then watch as two people shove, one hitting a set vs a flush. I would've been crushed and most likely shoved with em.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never worry about hands that didn't play, regardless of the hole cards. Nothing invested, nothing gained.

G

guitaRisGood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen pro's on tv simply stepping away from the table during a session with seemingly no fear at all of "missing out" ?

1 They're getting paid to make an impression.
2 They don't need to cash in THAT tourney cuz can afford to lose the $10k buy in
3 you can't pee in some sort of vessel in a live tournament like i can at home (not saying i do that lol)

I try to NEVER miss seeing my hole cards if at all possible cuz yeah, those aces come rarely and i don't want to see them in the history of what i missed.... again.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel the same as you ninjareal, I don't like to miss anything.
Also if I do miss some hands and check the hand history it seams like I missed the pocket Kings as if they knew I was sitting out and dealt them deliberately.
However as BHowell says it can be a saver, as often you also see that an Ace hit.
Most people would say don't check the history, if you missed it its done, so ignore it.
They are probably right, but some of us just can't manage to be so normally casual about things.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all , haha nice ideas/experiences, and yes I've seen mucked aces lose once or twice, but on the whole they'd be winners so far,
I think it's not so bad stepping away if you have been active & winning a few hands , however if you have been super tight and then get aa,kk etc when you're away ... that stings a bit :p
On the whole though, i agree with those that say "what happens, happens" when you're at the felt or not,
Just nice to hear what people think/feel about it, if i had it my own way I'd never miss a hand .... haha

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I also have such feelings that when I can get out of the table and I could come AA and I would be able to win, I just wait for the break in the game, I think that to professionals everything exactly on what cards to play, I saw how they win tournaments with the first place in 1 million euros on the map 8-7, I think that they are not afraid to leave the table during the game of their own need, they have enough chips at the beginning of the tournament to then wait for other good cards for the game!

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that everyone have afraid to be away off table and miss playing premium cards. What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve over, and there are occasions when the truth is just too bitter to swallow.

mike55k

mike55k

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I missed out on a bad beat one time for taking a cig break. Granted if I was at the table the hands would of all been different cause of the butterfly affect but still a kick in the balls when it happened. Than I get to sit there at a table where all 8 other people are super happy. They did all throw in 10 bucks each though to throw me which was pretty cool of them

BHowell44

BHowell44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty much this. I'll come back from a hand I've missed and see what I had maybe AA or AQ suited, smack my forehead, then watch as two people shove, one hitting a set vs a flush. I would've been crushed and most likely shoved with em.
Yeah so that's why it's not really something to worry about when focusing on your poker game. It's like the what if game. What if the sky fell? It's not going to so why even waste tine worrying about it:)

P

PuntinHundies

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a tournament, it is important not to miss hands, because the blinds and antes are always going up, and if you miss those hands, it can greatly influence the outcome of your tournament. I would only sit out at a tournament if i have a very large stack and can "afford" it, or if I was tilted from a bad beat or sometimes after winning a massive pot, in order to prevent making big mistakes while not thinking clearly.

In a cash game, you can sit out any time without FOMO (fear of missing out). Unless you have only a short time to play, it doesn't really matter if you miss some hands. There is little to no pressure from the blinds in a cash game if you are playing the correct stakes for your bankroll.

Happy Grinding

:2s4: :3s4:

Stevan

Stevan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 times i went to the toilet while playing online tournament and once i missed AA and the other time KK, and i would lose money if i played that AA hand cuz the table was crazy, so i laughed on that one :D

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Several times I have been there . I used to be very afraid to miss at least one hand . Not anymore . But to depart for a long time still afraid . So you decide .

godblessiraq

godblessiraq

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you’re only winning 2 hands every 90 minutes, you might want to re-think your strategy.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you’re only winning 2 hands every 90 minutes, you might want to re-think your strategy.

Hi, sorry meant getting big hands big wins , and at times the cards don't come all that often, stealing etc is all per normal (not that I'd ever bluff you guys) :p lmao

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all , nice replies, advice and experiences, nice to know we all go thru this now and then, I have "learnt" to really make use of the breaks even if i don't think i need one (just go for it anyway) haha , and works out fine most times, and make sure that say 2mins before tourney starts to make use of an unforced break ...
I used to drink a lot of water while playing, these days I'm not so sure, I'll have to monitor that, i see that tv poker -wsop plenty players will be hydrating

D

DamocValentin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i had AA in hands but i was not paying attention and i hot in sit and out :))

Talalaew

Talalaew

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently, in one serious live game, I threw a pocket pair of jacks ... It was somewhere in the middle of the tournament. Then I had to fold pocket aces on the river ... As a result, I won first place in the tournament !!!

T

TheChosenDragon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah, had once the situation that I thought like, hey, I got a timebank, what could go wrong? But the timebank didn't start and when I just came back, I saw my AA turning to dust and next all people started betting like hell and I would have won that hand. Painfull, really. ��

T

TheChosenDragon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently, in one serious live game, I threw a pocket pair of jacks ... It was somewhere in the middle of the tournament. Then I had to fold pocket aces on the river ... As a result, I won first place in the tournament !!!
Well done, throwing big hands away is so difficult, but most of the time it pays off. But it requires much discipline to do it. Respect! Good to see it also did pay off for you.

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sittn out aces

Been there 100s of times. Couldn't click fast enough. 22 -77s- JJ QQ KK and of course AA. BUT on the otge hand I would have lost with over half the hands that I was sitting out even the KKs especially

P

possle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had kings, while i played another table and there was no more time on my time bank. Unfortunatelly bubbled a few hands later. -.-

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands