Chips
Skill when I win a hand, luck when others beat my hand

TimboJonez

TimboJonez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
80%skill 20%luck, Its not lucky to see johnny Chan and others final table wsop Main events.

maxbellow

maxbellow

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No luck, not win the hand. Without the ability to not win life.
m90.gif

den4uk1990

den4uk1990

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that all the same experience, but...
and not a lot of luck :)

M

mycophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a bit of both on any given night. But if you repeatedly win (like people with multiple bracelets), there's obviously skill involved. Often times when someone will compare poker to "gambling," I just give the ol' lottery ticket metaphor- You can't force a scratch off to win. However, you can get the best hand to fold. There's a difference.

kolecgoclaw

kolecgoclaw

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course, that without skills will not get far, but ...
Today I played a tournament of surprises and wonders :)))))
I think all day I have some bad, but when your pair of aces beats a stupid 23 - smashing ...
pair of kings loses to a pair of 5 and similar stuff.
if you play gradually Floop, turn, river -u still can do something (not always) but if someone in front of you gives allin and you have aces - how not check???

skills are necessary, but lucky too

I

ianarthurz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is all about luck. Skill is a myth, convince me not

If you don't agree, explain how one raises preflop with AJ, flops JJx, get raised by a sucker with J10(and go all in knowing the sucker got kicker problems) and loses to a sucker with J10 rivering 10, and you wanna tell me it's skill, i see no skill in lucking out here. I believe people are paid to be at the final table in WSOP, Doyle Brunson is an ACTOR just like Negreanu and everyone else!!!!!

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you don't agree, explain how one raises preflop with AJ, flops JJx, get raised by a sucker with J10(and go all in knowing the sucker got kicker problems) and loses to a sucker with J10 rivering 10, and you wanna tell me it's skill, i see no skill in lucking out here. I believe people are paid to be at the final table in WSOP, Doyle Brunson is an ACTOR just like Negreanu and everyone else!!!!!

I am going to assume you are just angry about the hand and can't be serious about that last comment.

Listen dude, I have taken probably 10x more bad beats than you, and generally run WELL below EV unfortunately, but its about making the right decisions over and over and over.

The last 48 hours in 14 SNG's / MTTs I was a 70-90% favorite in 14 all ins and lost EVERYONE. It happens! It sucks!

N

nykaktak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

yes also everything simply wasn't lucky, it is poker there can be everything, you want to tell never won with a weak hand? or your KK didn't win against AA of other player? ? stop to cry)

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't agree,

certainly disagree

explain how one raises preflop with AJ, flops JJx, get raised by a sucker with J10(and go all in knowing the sucker got kicker problems) and loses to a sucker with J10 rivering 10, and you wanna tell me it's skill, i see no skill in lucking out here.

yes that would be ul, but take that flop with those hands and run it 1000 times and the AJ will prevail ~88% of the time :p - This is where the skill comes in being long term, luck's biggest impact is involved on a short term scale because there is always some % that you can lose the hand and therefore can't expect to win it 100% of the time

I believe people are paid to be at the final table in WSOP, Doyle Brunson is an ACTOR just like Negreanu and everyone else!!!!!

they usually get paid quite well for making it to a ft in wsop events, thats where the biggest cashes in mtt's are so its a fact everyone is paid to be there BUT no they are not actors they are skilled (and some lucky) enough to make it to the ft and therefore get paid for being there (you know the prize monies)

bad beats suck but they happen, it gets to everone sometimes and we just have to build a thicker skin and try and eliminate the reasons why such a thing tilts us when we know we should expect them to some % based on the math involved and probabilities etc.

Anyhow enough of my rant, we all know its skill long term and its the players who think its all luck that will pad our br's.

I

ianarthurz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe it's 50/50 no matter how good you are. Especially heads-up, for instance the bad beat i took today in a cash game in bovada(0.2/0.5 nl):

I was dealt AJ off on the button, since i had no raises and 3 callers i raised it 4x the BB, 1 folded, 2 called.

Flop comes J-J-x(lower than jack) rainbow, villain raises 0.35c, now, so he either flopped a rag set, a rag pair or he had a jack or just straight up bluffing, no he way he could have JJ, so i put him on J-something and re-raised all in, he calls, his hand: J-10 offsuited

The river? You bet!! 10 !!!!

So based on this experience i can say it's 50/50.

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe it's 50/50 no matter how good you are. Especially heads-up, for instance the bad beat i took today in a cash game in bovada(0.2/0.5 nl):

I was dealt AJ off on the button, since i had no raises and 3 callers i raised it 4x the BB, 1 folded, 2 called.

Flop comes J-J-x(lower than jack) rainbow, villain raises 0.35c, now, so he either flopped a rag set, a rag pair or he had a jack or just straight up bluffing, no he way he could have JJ, so i put him on J-something and re-raised all in, he calls, his hand: J-10 offsuited

The river? You bet!! 10 !!!!

So based on this experience i can say it's 50/50.

lmao, ok obv you don't believe in math/statistics/probabilities etc. AJ vs JT on a JJx board the JT has 3 outs to win (TTT) based on basic 2/4 rule thats a 12% chance that he will win the hand by the river. Thats 88/12 not 50/50.

Also if your going to raise the limpers you should do 3xbb + 1bb for each limper so 6x as opposed to 4x would have been a more correct raise or even 5x to drop it in the middle. Making it 4x into a 4.5xbb (assuming your not sb or bb) pot is giving them decent odds to call the 3bb (3bb to a 8.5bb pot, so almost 3 to 1) and especially the 2nd limper that called given he now has to call 3bb into a 10.5bb pot so like 3.7 to 1.

Anyhow, its just the game we all love called poker good sir. enjoy

I

ianarthurz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
lmao, ok obv you don't believe in math/statistics/probabilities etc. AJ vs JT on a JJx board the JT has 3 outs to win (TTT) based on basic 2/4 rule thats a 12% chance that he will win the hand by the river. Thats 88/12 not 50/50.

Also if your going to raise the limpers you should do 3xbb + 1bb for each limper so 6x as opposed to 4x would have been a more correct raise or even 5x to drop it in the middle. Making it 4x into a 4.5xbb (assuming your not sb or bb) pot is giving them decent odds to call the 3bb (3bb to a 8.5bb pot, so almost 3 to 1) and especially the 2nd limper that called given he now has to call 3bb into a 10.5bb pot so like 3.7 to 1.

Anyhow, its just the game we all love called poker good sir. enjoy

So based on what you said you are ignoring the fact there is also another 3 Aces that could have rivered as well? Elaborate how this is not a bad beat please. Explain to me why a 10 and not an ace, or anything else other than a 10 or Ace. As far as i know, J-J-x rainbow is pretty much a perfect flop for AJ(unless you want to ignore probability as well). I wouldn't have called a pre-flop raise with 10-J off in the first place most of the time. Also, you don't want to raise too much preflop in a bovada cash game, they will fold most of the time, i say this based on experience. Cash games are completely different from tournaments keep that in mind.

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So based on what you said you are ignoring the fact there is also another 3 Aces that could have rivered as well? Elaborate how this is not a bad beat please. Explain to me why a 10 and not an ace, or anything else other than a 10 or Ace. As far as i know, J-J-x rainbow is pretty much a perfect flop for AJ(unless you want to ignore probability as well). I wouldn't have called a pre-flop raise with 10-J off in the first place most of the time. Also, you don't want to raise too much preflop in a bovada cash game, they will fold most of the time, i say this based on experience. Cash games are completely different from tournaments keep that in mind.

Not going to waste my time you obviously havn't read and/or understood the posts I have made already.

cash or tourny outs and odds are the same, and my raise suggestions were based more on cash side of things....anyhow said i wasn't going to waste anymore of my time. good luck.

I

ianarthurz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
@BluffMeAllIn

The odds and outs may be the same but the betting pattern is different. Huge preflop bets are not good in cash games unless it's the infamous AA vs KK situation. And i wouldn't count on that if had the bullets, unless someone raised big before me while i had the bullets/KK ...

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that "luck" is a big set defined by randomness, and the more we discover of that set/category (which makes skills arise) less decisions will be left to randomness. However i also believe that everything has a fractal "dimension"*, so our chances in poker rely on competition, how they are prepared against luck and compare it with your "preparation", see if it is better.

Anyways my point is that you cannot avoid luck (chance), but you can always expand your knowledge beyond so that you reduce what you leave to luck drastically (actually luck wouldn't be reduced since it goes to infinite, everything has a chaotic order, when you find out that skill has been expanded you find out that luck is actually bigger so you try to expand skill even more to reduce luck but you never accomplish your goal [that's why i said fractal dimension earlier]).

*Not sure if dimension would be the right word to use.

Anyways that's my understanding of the relationship luck-skill, definitely has a more general aspect than just poker, but perfectly applicable to it.

Kinda fuzzy around the edges, but I get what you are aiming at. Which brings me back to my normal response to questions about luck vs skill; Can we define luck? Generally not. Can we really define skill (poker wise) to a point where we can actually rate ones skills against another's? Not as simple as that seems, me thinks. Luck = Variance. So even 'skilled' players acknowledge luck, but won't speak its name. (Lord Voldemort?)

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@BluffMeAllIn

The odds and outs may be the same but the betting pattern is different. Huge preflop bets are not good in cash games unless it's the infamous AA vs KK situation. And i wouldn't count on that if had the bullets, unless someone raised big before me while i had the bullets/KK ...

6x in the situation of 3 limpers is not huge, its standard. You speak as if I know nothing about cash games, in general you can bet/raise larger in a cash game (without committing yourself) because stacks are generally always deeper than in an mtt/stt/sng.

You should have a reason to raise in either variant, either it be for value or a bluff and AJ vs 3 limpers may be for value but it defeats the purpose if your raise is practically pricing them in. Regardless of the reason you should be standard in your bets/raises regardless of hand strength but more so based on position if you are going to vary them at all.

Simply put you got unlucky in a single situation where when the money went in you were an 88% favorite to the win the hand and took a beat, I don't see why you say anything about it is 50/50 (50/50 chance you would hit the A just as well he would hit the T but you don't need to hit the A to win which is why you are a huge favorite in this spot because you are ahead which is when we want to get the most money in that we can for value).

you got the best situation on the flop you could have hoped for essentially so really nothing to debate on the situation.

JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why does this debate always go on? It clearly both. Luck you can win in the short-run. Skill you will be winning in long run. Still gotta have good luck though.

M

mj23b

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill

Poker is skill and luck but like they said earlier you can lose to someone who gets lucky. Now the pros like Phil hellmuth Phil Ivey so on and so forth win all the time which clearly shows you that if every hand is played smart you can reach the final table at any table. So I say 90% skill 10% luck

P

pokieman04

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is both..you have to know how to play your cards to maximize your winning...fold good hands and read players .... Also gotta have luck I know I have got all my chips in and was a heavy favorite and lost many many times and I have also been behind and hit and am able to make deep runs into tournaments

kolecgoclaw

kolecgoclaw

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tournament is a 100 with 400 .. and gets a pair of aces. 1 guy before me put allin 16 k - I have 8k ... without thinking I put too.
It has a few ladies - falling t, 6, q, q, 9
and yes - is about the skills ... situation like this killing me.
no similar luck in poker does not win

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck 100% when it depends on TURBOS and HYPER TURBOS also 80% luck at low limit games, and 90% skill to all left, unfortunately i play mostly turbos and hyper so i am really unlucky ::)))))) Still pokerstars is a joke!

redcross

redcross

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's both! I'm the long run it's a game of skill but to those shove and pray players it's all a game of luck. Don't get me wrong the better player doesn't always win. (Otherwise I would win every tourney I enter)

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It´s skill in the long run, and for instance an agressive player doesn´t need luck: he bluffs and wins the pot(s), no matter what his hand is :)

curtinsea

curtinsea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let me throw this out at you. I was using this example as a way to explain to a layperson how you profit in poker, and I think it also illustrates the skill/chance issue quite well . . . .

Let's play a game. I have a six sided die, and we will gamble on the outcome. Now can we not all agree that it is completely chance what the result of the roll will be? Definitely we are playing a game of chance.

Now, I tell you "you pay me a dollar per roll, and if your number comes up, I'll pay you $5". You agree.

I have out played you, as long term I will win a dollar every six rolls. I have used the odds to my advantage and made the correct mathematical decision, and my long term results will show a profit. But we are still playing a game of chance.

Now, instead of agreeing to my terms, you counter with "No, if my number comes up, you pay me $7" and I agree.

Now you have outplayed me. Long term you will make a dollar every six rolls. You have made the correct mathematical play, and your long term results will be profitable. But we are still playing a game of chance.

This is what we do in poker, we make decisions based on the long term expectations of a particular play, but the result still holds that element of chance. So while we are using a skill to be profitable in the long term, the element of chance is not and cannot be negated.

Top 10 Games