• Poll closed .
B

brenoids

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
skill

I need your opinion on this one guys.What do you guys think,is Poker a game that depend entirely on lucks or skill?And what are the percentages that we are looking at?

70% skill and 30% lucky i guess

B

Bowman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well bluffing is an art, nothing about luck to do with that. If someone folds or calls your bluff/fake bluff then do you consider that to be luck. As if someone else, anyone else, they would have done the opposite. Is that bad luck or good luck.
Sometimes there is no luck or skill involved. And that happens very frequently imo. For instance, maybe im there to have fun or pass time. Maybe I feel lucky so I will play my crap which turns into gold. All at your expense. So I consider poker to be all skill. Luck is nothing, its going to happen or not happen. If one loses, they say they had no luck. But what if with those winnings you would have bought something that caused a catostraphy. Is that not good luck that you lost.
Learn to play poker, have a good mind and go from there. Luck, who need's it.

kolecgoclaw

kolecgoclaw

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you play carefully - very much depends on the skills.
do not you admit fast allin (then unfortunately more depends on luck) if you are focused on the game - skills 80% and happiness leaving only 20%.
when you're trying to be more trust happiness, you will quickly fool. sometimes even a pair of aces in the hand does not turns out to be the best final card!
I greet

G

german9011

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the two factors must be taken into account but the ability will always be the most important difference between the two, luck plays tricks on us but if control is maintained skill always win.

T

terryg642

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your talking of poker as if it's all one game,there are different games of poker the vary in skill and chance.I believe texas no limit holdem is a gambler's game ,especially in tourneys.You can use luck as a weapon,for example, say you have a huge stack two smaller stacks call they both go all in you look down and see J7 your chip stacks 5 to1 on both of them what do you do,my answer in a tourney call ,in a cash game fold,you have the chips to gamble and the moneys at the top, roll the dice.Call me a donk whatever,but,if I win one tourney that's a lot of buy ins.

S

Smiley2288

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it has some to do with skill but more with luck i say 40 60 luck

W

Wickedonesin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let me throw this out at you. I was using this example as a way to explain to a layperson how you profit in poker, and I think it also illustrates the skill/chance issue quite well . . . .

Let's play a game. I have a six sided die, and we will gamble on the outcome. Now can we not all agree that it is completely chance what the result of the roll will be? Definitely we are playing a game of chance.

Now, I tell you "you pay me a dollar per roll, and if your number comes up, I'll pay you $5". You agree.

I have out played you, as long term I will win a dollar every six rolls. I have used the odds to my advantage and made the correct mathematical decision, and my long term results will show a profit. But we are still playing a game of chance.

Now, instead of agreeing to my terms, you counter with "No, if my number comes up, you pay me $7" and I agree.

Now you have outplayed me. Long term you will make a dollar every six rolls. You have made the correct mathematical play, and your long term results will be profitable. But we are still playing a game of chance.

This is what we do in poker, we make decisions based on the long term expectations of a particular play, but the result still holds that element of chance. So while we are using a skill to be profitable in the long term, the element of chance is not and cannot be negated.

I agree 100% with this explanation. I'd like to add that in poker, we can essentially be the $7 guy/gal by choosing the proper game for your skill level.

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything in poker is a skill even if it lucky!

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I would say 80% skill, 20% luck
and more skilled player more lucky you think they are

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To win such tournaments as wsop you need some luck, but... you also must have a lot of skill. So i would say both.

Sippy

Sippy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both Skill and luck are involved. You may 2 7 when the price is right and flop 77. But then AA may be in a hand an and A will beat you.

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say poker is some of both. Bad luck trumps excellent skill. Bad beats do happen and its not always in your favor. The skill levels start to even out a little more as the tournament dwindles down in the number of remaining players.

I

IamTheGrinch

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill overrides luck long term. But is sure seems like bad players get most of the good luck.

kolecgoclaw

kolecgoclaw

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tournament for 180 people - is our 15th gets a few ladies (I have 20k), the guy before me as the only gives allin (12k) :) calmly checking - we uncover the card ...
I pair qq, he a7 --- flop 577, turn j, river 3 :)))
sometimes no similar luck will not get far!
is my 8k - falls on my hand qj - enter him again after 1k - falls 3q6 - he gives allin-check with qj hands :) It has a pair of AA batteries.
so just in 2 hands 2h missed the game :))
you must have a lucky :)!

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FATE vs LUCK vs SKILL

You look at how some people have won their WSOP bracelets and it makes you wonder.

As an example, Doyle Brunson won the WSOP bracelet two years in a row with one of the most worthless hands in texas hold'em: 10-2. In the first case his 10-2 hit two pair on the turn while in the second case his 10-2 hit a miracle hand made on the river.

Fate? Luck? Skill?

I'm not doubting Doyle Brunson's aptitude as a poker player. However, it would appear that variance gave him at least two of his bracelet wins.

I do agree that luck favors the bold. To what extent, however, does one attribute one's success to FATE, LUCK, or SKILL?

Sometimes one merely needs to be in the right place at the right time to achieve success. I sometimes wonder whether how things pan out is predetermined; in the case of doyle brunson's 2 year in a row win, I would have to say the empirical evidence suggests that FATE did in fact play a major role at least in the outcome of the final hands for those two WSOP tournaments. The WSOP bracelets were there for Doyle just waiting for him to push all his chips in with 10-2....

W

Wickedonesin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doyle had more skill than most at the time when he won those 2 bracelets. Good Poker knowledge was not easily found yet. Even with smaller fields, he had to get to the final table first before being able to hit the lucky hand with 10-2.

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it takes a lot of all 3 to be very successful at poker. If I had to rate them on a percentage base id say 40% skill 40% luck and 10% fate

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No such thing as fate.

And what everyone always ignores about Doyle winning the Main Event twice with T2 is that you've got to be heads up to win any tournament, and heads up, just about any hand goes. It was just random chance that it happened to be that same hand two years running. I've won tournaments with T2 before, doesn't mean it was fate.

Aside from that the breakdown of skill and luck depends very much on the player and how skilled they are. Someone like Darvin Moon making the final table of the main event was almost all luck, because he had very little skill. In Phil Ivey's case he needs less luck because he's got a lot more skill.

PrOKatana

PrOKatana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it takes a lot of all 3 to be very successful at poker. If I had to rate them on a percentage base id say 40% skill 40% luck and 10% fate

and I'm kind of the same opinion with no luck and being at the time protivit is very hard but still we do not doubt its value player Doyle Brunson [me it seems a player with Good quality poker]

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing solid just wont be enough to get you there adventually you will get a cooler in a big MTT if its push/foldy and alot of the time it will be for most of your stack.

I always AlWAYS! go with my gut in big tournaments, if im playing in a WSOOP or Sunday Million I'll be alot more reserved. But every smaller buy in huge field tournament i've made Final table I've had to get lucky with a cooler or 3 (and play very well)

P

PinkTriangle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all math in the end unless someone is cheating. So there is no" Luck or Fate" in that sense.

But someone has to get a winning hand and the others have to be the loser (if no tie). So the guy got a full house.. big deal.. I've won huge pots with weak pairs and High cards.

Last edited:
JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all math in the end unless someone is cheating. So there is no" Luck or Fate" in that sense.

But someone has to get a winning hand and the others have to be the loser (if no tie). So the guy got a full house.. big deal.. I've won huge pots with weak pairs and High cards.
yea no luck involved at all:rolleyes: you know, when you flop a set over a set, or vise versa all skill.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've got just barely enough skill to get lucky,,,,,:cool:

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea no luck involved at all:rolleyes: you know, when you flop a set over a set, or vise versa all skill.

That comment made me smile. Luck is plays a role EVERYTHING, even the most risk-averse activities. For example, I plan a picnic and there is a chance that a tree will fall on me. Now the risk of this actually happening is not zero even if the park I choose has no trees (a non-zero, however small, probability can be calculated for this event...i.e., the probability that a tree blows in from a few miles away and falls on me). From the point of view of probability, I would be lucky if the tree did fall on me but from my own point of view I would consider myself lucky if it did not.

As long as the probability of something happening is not 100%, that something is a slave to luck. What can we say we know with 100% probability? How do I even know, with 100% probability, that I exist?

Top 10 Games