Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Smoothly done!

You should be very pleased with that return, you did great and deserved every cent & more! :icon_thum

:congrats:

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got me some sleep, finished my morning routine which mostly consists of obeying to some hungry cats commands and made coffee...

Then i opened Bwin, looked at my balance and now i have this big smile :)

Ended my first high buy-in tourney and even if i had paid the full buy-in myself
i would have made a small profit. Not too bad. The main objective of a MTT fulfilled...

There sure is room for improvement in my game, but i guess i knew that before.

The biggest surprise to me was that i wasn't really nervous while playing. I was super nervous during the $33 satellite, especially during "crunch time", when like 15 people were left with 11 getting a ticket. But yesterday i was really having a good time and felt comfortable.

I'm super happy with the outcome. I don't often get paid $80 per hour for
having fun !

NOW COFFEE!!!

And then tonight i am going to destroy all
you micro stake donks in the CC freeroll ;) ;) ;)

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi folks. I need your very best advice again!

I accidently stumbled upon a promo email from Bwin a few days ago
and for some unknown reason i didnt just delete it. So a Spin&Go and
a satelite later I am now the proud owner of a $320 tournament ticket
that didn't cost me a single cent.

I usually play micros. Have played a few MTTs with buy-ins of 20 -50.

SO what's your best tip for someone playing for a high buy-in for the first time?
It's a Knock-Out Tournament with 50% Bounty/Prizepool Split and a very slow
structure with 20 minutes blind levels. And it is a multi-day event!

My idea is that i go through this thread tomorrow, play Day1 of the MTT and then
come back here to tell you how all your great tips were exactly what saved my tournament :)

And to motivate you a little more: It's a 1 Million Guaranteed. If I win it I'll sponsor a
$1000 freeroll for CC members. The better your advice, the more likely this will happen ;)
Play without thinking about money, just try to play optimally and everything will be fine. Good luck.;)

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't think about the buy -in when you're playing

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Got me some sleep, finished my morning routine which mostly consists of obeying to some hungry cats commands and made coffee...

Then i opened Bwin, looked at my balance and now i have this big smile :)

Ended my first high buy-in tourney and even if i had paid the full buy-in myself
i would have made a small profit. Not too bad. The main objective of a MTT fulfilled...

There sure is room for improvement in my game, but i guess i knew that before.

The biggest surprise to me was that i wasn't really nervous while playing. I was super nervous during the $33 satellite, especially during "crunch time", when like 15 people were left with 11 getting a ticket. But yesterday i was really having a good time and felt comfortable.

I'm super happy with the outcome. I don't often get paid $80 per hour for
having fun !

NOW COFFEE!!!

And then tonight i am going to destroy all
you micro stake donks in the CC freeroll ;) ;) ;)

In which case, it sounds like my post's pitch frequency was tuned as intended and had the desired effect. :biggrin:

It's amazing how often people forget to just breathe and relax... :)

I'm sure all the responses helped you get in the zone but ultimately, you went out there and walked the walk- the achievement is all yours.

Bravo again. :icon_thum

Will keep an eye out for you in ze freeroll. :wink:

Regards,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Play without thinking about money, just try to play optimally and everything will be fine. Good luck.;)

don't think about the buy -in when you're playing

Gonna take a wild stab in the dark here and hazard a guess that you two didn't read the thread before posting... :rolleyes:

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I
Gonna take a wild stab in the dark here and hazard a guess that you two didn't read the thread before posting... :rolleyes:

No, I did. Your overall general question was what would be the advice given to someone playing a high buy in tournament for the fist time. That your circumstances got you into the tournament via satellite doesn't negate the overal question. In fact, I'd still administer that advice as players sometimes tend to think that higher buy ins are somehow associated with better players. That's b.s. Plenty of bad players. So, if you don't think about the buy in, regardless of how you got in the tournament, and simply play the player like you're supposed to, hopefully you'l end up with some extra money in your pocket.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No, I did. Your overall general question was what would be the advice given to someone playing a high buy in tournament for the fist time. That your circumstances got you into the tournament via satellite doesn't negate the overal question. In fact, I'd still administer that advice as players sometimes tend to think that higher buy ins are somehow associated with better players. That's b.s. Plenty of bad players. So, if you don't think about the buy in, regardless of how you got in the tournament, and simply play the player like you're supposed to, hopefully you'l end up with some extra money in your pocket.
My point was more the fact that you offered your advice after the OP had already posted his finishing results in the tournament you were offering advice him for... :p ;)

MauroMMMM

MauroMMMM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

SO what's your best tip for someone playing for a high buy-in for the first time?

My idea is that i go through this thread tomorrow, play Day1 of the MTT and then
come back here to tell you how all your great tips were exactly what saved my tournament :)

And to motivate you a little more: It's a 1 Million Guaranteed. If I win it I'll sponsor a
$1000 freeroll for CC members. The better your advice, the more likely this will happen ;)
I have never played a tournament with such high buy-ins. But if I had to, I would try not to rush, have patience, no anxiety and play smart, without risking more than necessary. Let time pass and take advantage of good hands. good luck!!

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My point was more the fact that you offered your advice after the OP had already posted his finishing results in the tournament you were offering advice him for... :p ;)

Forgive me. I will be sure to check with you before I post again to ensure that the proper geneology protocol of a thread is followed. Since I did not in this case, consider it instead advice for others that see the title of the thread and want answers to OPs original question. Surely, that will pass ? :D:D:D

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Forgive me. I will be sure to check with you before I post again to ensure that the proper geneology protocol of a thread is followed. Since I did not in this case, consider it instead advice for others that see the title of the thread and want answers to OPs original question. Surely, that will pass ? :D:D:D
Haha, I like it- sounds good to me! :five:

I reckon most will make their own topic asking though... :wink:

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My most important tip is not to get overly aggressive at the beginning stages of the tournament. There are a lot of loose players at start waiting to call you down with low pairs when you attempt to steal pots.

My advice. Be tight with hand selection. But be ready to bet when you do have a hand to get paid off by looser players

A

alsorory

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i know it is late, but first 20 hands you must win double your opening chips even if you go all in then play wisely when you have power cards

R

rapione98

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only play if you are comfortable, play carefully and think hard about which hands to play and how you should play ... always remembering your position at the table and ICM.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
i know it is late, but first 20 hands you must win double your opening chips even if you go all in then play wisely when you have power cards

This sounds like terrible advice to me. Might be useful in a hyper-turbo freeroll.

L

Laynester

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1 drink (alcoholic) has been proven to sharpen your skills

....Then..... Meditate.

Contentrate......you are going in to a deep sleep.......

Watch my hand .....slowly drift in to a warm place.......

Visualize yourself WINNING that LONG tourney. Imagine yourself winning that JUMBO amount.......

You're next move: Take all that $$ and login to BCP and donate all that to 'Blufford'......

You have your instructions.....Mr. Crawford (spy name).

This tape will self destruct 10 seconds after reading this note.....

Cardschat Rocks!

Thanks for listening.....

:icon_bigs

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play your A game first and foremost. You got there by winning so just keep winning.

Pay attention to how they play and adjust to what's different. If they 3 bet more play tighter from early position. If they defend their blinds more when stacks are deep it will be unprofitable to steal them. If they call Cbets more fire on the turn. You will have to meet aggression with aggression.

But don't make changes to how you play if they don't seem to play different. Just play your best.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For high value tournaments where the ticket was obtained through a freeroll , always look for a bounty option as opposed to a regular freezeout tournament . More likely to get at least some cash out of it that way compared to needing to finish in the top 10-15% to receive anything

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: My most important advice is to never clean, in first position, whenever they are going to play a strong hand in first position, that is aggressive, you can never clean in initial position, with pair of AA or with AK, generally you will to eliminate, and also when you are in the straight of an important tournament, always try to get involved with good hands, you never play bad hands or with bad cards, remember that poker is given by tables, and by positions.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
My advice is that you have a lot of patience, the tournament will be slow in terms of the blinds, wait your moment, do not focus on wanting to eliminate the players just because of the bounty, that can cost you the tournament, try to be very attentive to your opponents, relax and have fun

inox73

inox73

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
luck and good aggressive blind stealing is important to earn something
dont bluff to much it is not so important to win! coming in the payout is a great finnish

pribalt49

pribalt49

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My only important advice is to listen to your intuition and only thanks to it, you can achieve great results in poker.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your blinds need to be protected more... and it's worth chacking more to gather information!

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important tip is that you should have a lot of patience and wait for the right books.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

When I first started playing MTT, I played to get into the prizes. It was a perfectly safe bet. It gave my money back, brought a small plus and kept me alive. But you will rarely win if you just aim to get into the money. From the moment you hit the registration button, you should only aim for victory! By playing in first place, you will play well and do all the necessary actions to get to the very top. If you are playing for “some place,” then you can easily let your opponents trample you. And only then you will begin to lament in the "what if?"You can get into the prize zone 10 times and win a few dollars, or you can play these 10 tournaments for real and climb the podium once, hitting a big jackpot. Did you really sit here for 4 hours to take those unfortunate 10, 20, 100 bucks of winnings with you? I hope no. If so, then perhaps you shouldn't play in big tournaments. Just give yourself a chance to win and it will happen!

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^i like what nuttea said
Boiling down to...
don’t play scared cuz it’s big money, play like it’s a freeroll and play for 1st