The worst mistake made by a poker player.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Don't make the mistake of defining a person's game by photo, country, nickname and any such nonsense.
Each living being on earth has its unique characteristics, despite using a similar strategic base, it will never find a logical line based on its growth or ethos.

Don't make this mistake because of a herd effect or simply momentum.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think the biggest mistake is thinking you're better than everyone else and have some sort of entitlement to a pot.
Kind of describes Phil H's play these days.
Probably best to treat each villain as an individual and assess their play over time.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The worst mistake in playing poker is to overestimate your abilities, overestimate the strength of your hand, and underestimate your opponent at the table. With their mini-raises, they will force you to make the wrong decisions.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Wise words akgross.
We have to put opponents on ranges, evaluate their skill set and read the board. Probably the worst mistake is whinging when you are beaten in a hand.
That train has gone, move on.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think it'd be a mistake to not take notice of any bit of info. you can... including country they're playing from.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you play online, you have a bad idea who you are playing with. Therefore, I rate everyone equally. And still, everyone mentally thinks why he was lucky and not me. Yes, because poker loves mathematical calculation, and then knowledge of the opponent's psychology comes into play. Even a lousy fish, throwing a small card, relies on the probability of success.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Don't make the mistake of defining a person's game by photo, country, nickname and any such nonsense.
Each living being on earth has its unique characteristics, despite using a similar strategic base, it will never find a logical line based on its growth or ethos.

Don't make this mistake because of a herd effect or simply momentum.
Such a mistake can be made only by players who have no idea about the game of poker. If there is anything that can be recommended to such players, it is only that they should never play cards for money at all :)

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you go into a Tournament, thinking the first Poker superstar you come up against is going to bust you out, then just don't bother playing, It is the wrong mindset to enter a game with because you are already defeated in your own mind.
True there are better players than you, but every dog has it's day and Today just might be yours, There have been some games I have played where I had no knowledge of any of my opponents other than they were all League Winners and runners up, Tournaments with 150+ players and I have not lasted more than a couple of hours, Others I managed to Final Table and make the money, I have Played in Regional Tournaments and Qualified for the Nationals.
But I don't let that go to my head,
We had a young lad in our League that did exactly the same and although he busted out on the very first hand in the National game he actually thought he was better than anyone else in the Pub game and when we had a new player join, he came up against this Big-headed, over confident National Bust out Champion and he even told the new guy, " I hope you realise who you are up against, I'm a National Finalist." The new guy busted him and we had the greatest laugh at any game,
Being over confident is a sure path to defeat and disaster. just as playing Poker Scared of your opponents and playing with money you cannot afford to lose (scared money) being comfortable in the knowledge that this game is not going to break you, and every player there is just like yourself hoping to play their best and last just long enough to make the FT is enough for me.