Why has Sunday always been the "major online tournament" day for online MTTs?

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've often wondered the history and decision to put most major online poker tournaments on Sunday afternoons and evenings. Instead of Friday nights or Saturdays.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It is probably to attract the most recreational player volume possible, by putting it on a day that most people should have off of regular work.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Is a good questions, because if this will be Saturday there will be more players. I think will be good to start Monday quietly.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is probably to attract the most recreational player volume possible, by putting it on a day that most people should have off of regular work.
Perhaps, but many people work Mondays so many might not want to be up until 2am playing on a work night.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Yes, Sunday is the day where the most important online poker tournaments are played; although the other days there are some important tournaments like super tuesday although it has lost importance

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've often wondered the history and decision to put most major online poker tournaments on Sunday afternoons and evenings. Instead of Friday nights or Saturdays.
I dont honestly know the answer but i think Sunday is the one day many people do have off all over the world and just happened to be the day they picked. Friday I think would not be so good as many people do work nights and with time diffences around the world many would be working when the game started. Saturday is more of a family day. For me my kids take up Saterdays and I know many would say the same Just mt 2 cents on this one

hi_im_grimm

hi_im_grimm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
I think sundays everyone at home, in the weekend a lot of the people are in holidays ..

choprav

choprav

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Historically Sundays were "The Lord's day" people didnt work, went to church or temple, all the shops were closed so this would give the sites the biggest pool of players at home available to play. It was a day of rest, prayer and reflection - I guess a smaller percentage of people are religious these days, because it's all just stories and we're better educated. poker sites should catch up to modern day and have all days and times pretty much the same, because even like peak time 1 place is the opposite at the other end of the world. And not all people work 9-5, you've got night shifts, patterns, split shifts etc.

Oh yeah and friday, saturday evenings/nights most Monday-Friday workers would historically hit the town!

Also people like me just dont sleep haha(like 4-5 hours, if that, a night Max!)

So you defo bring up an interesting point. Sadly, I doubt if they'll do anything about it though...

Viz

Last edited:
choprav

choprav

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
See my reply..

Garik777

Garik777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Because most people have free time on this day

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Apparently tournaments on Sundays are designed to lure as many new players into the game as possible, who these days are just relaxing!!! Seeing opportunities for big wins, some of them will stay in the game!!!

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's because Sunday is a day that most of us don't have to work and many people just stay at home, which make Sunday a good day to play poker for recreational players.

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
because most recreational players don´t work on sundays so they play online.

ElScorcho008

ElScorcho008

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm sure it id because Sundays are the most common day off for everyone, so most potential entrant's possible

seiya1989

seiya1989

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello, I think the biggest tournaments are played on Sundays, for reasons of time availability, since Sunday is the non-working day par excellence and you are more relaxed and with more time, greetings

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, its because the main market for online poker was originally the USA, and there (as I understand it), a 6-day working week is still pretty common. For that reason sunday is better than saturday, and the starting time is also picked, so that its convenient for someone living in the american time zones. And then it has just kind of stuck, even though the biggest sites no longer operate in the USA :)

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't know about this tournament, so I'll try to find my ticket to play.