Why people still play in a tournament with ridiculous structures?

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not keen on these structures either.
Like others, I take care on what tourneys I enter and they are becoming fewer and fewer.
The world has turned into a microwave society, wanting instant gratification and success with everything they do. I suppose poker is just following along with this social phenomena.

Yeah there were to many negative changes affecting poker lately.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i see mtt,s on acr with a 5 hour late reg-thats much to long for late reg-i normaly dont play mtt,s with a late reg like that-its slim pickins for usa ppl playing these days not much to choose from -once poker is legal im sure alot of the sites that let usa ppl play will get smaller and without the bullshit late reg

Yeah I understand how you feel.:)

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't get it either..lol?:confused:

Yeah I agree,most of the mtts structure these days lean toward higher variances reaching to the point of either push or fold kind of mentality.It is almost impossible to find a good structure tournament ie. 3000 chip,10 min. blind with 6 level of late registration.

Yup BINGO is the best way to describe it,as lucks factor involved are significantly high.

what do you need to win a bingo? It is nothing but luck, without luck factor gain nothing,
do not tell me to play a 72o is not played bingo

M

mauroc711

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck increases its importance even in these tournaments.

But when the number of players decreases, the position, reading, intuition, become decisive.

I

ItryhardAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like turbos

everybody likes faster paced games and for late registration games if you are join earlier you see more hands and more chances for premium hands to double up so easier to be on top of others after late reg is closed

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everybody likes faster paced games and for late registration games if you are join earlier you see more hands and more chances for premium hands to double up so easier to be on top of others after late reg is closed

Most of the players would rather choose the regular speed and non excessive late registration because of the variances factor.

Kavaleits

Kavaleits

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT: small buy-in, bigger prizepool. Some pokerooms offers a lot of mtt(from hyper turbo to hyper slow ), so you can chose best for you.
I like mtt its very exciting to play mtt, because of spirit of competition. So you can see how good you are or how lucky.:D
If you dont like structure, paid place then dont play it.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT: small buy-in, bigger prizepool. Some pokerooms offers a lot of mtt(from hyper turbo to hyper slow ), so you can chose best for you.
I like mtt its very exciting to play mtt, because of spirit of competition. So you can see how good you are or how lucky.:D
If you dont like structure, paid place then dont play it.

Most of the poker sites these day are increasingly going into the path of this hyper/turbo and expressive late registration type of mentality because of the factor of rake.Faster game mean faster profit in term of rake collections.Also,more players in a tourney with excessive late registration mean more rake collections disregarding the huge factor of variances involved.

The main problems is,these days we are actually running out of option because there are fewer and fewer game available to choose from and most site are reluctant to offer it anymore because of the factor of profit.As this rate the only games you could look forward to are the flip All in or Fold tournaments or 20 to 30 level of excessive late registration.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have wondered this myself.

Poker room are no longer interested in offering the kind of game that you can actually make an EV+.They are heading into this flip ALL-in Or Fold/Scratch card kind mentality because profit is their main priority.online poker is not what they used to be.You can't hardly find a beatable game these days.

qkamara6ina

qkamara6ina

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely right

I agree with you. I don't understand it too. The main point is that you can't show or to see any normal game in those tournaments.

max_cool20

max_cool20

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think people are looking for faster ways to earn money, as in my case.

IronHaji1989

IronHaji1989

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally enjoy the turbos right now. Part of the reasons are just low buy in. Like 10 cents sit n gos are action packed and they are really exciting.

I like to gamble it up with any two cards basically but hey I am only risking 10 cents right?

Viera56

Viera56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because some players dont have much time to play long tournaments.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are a ton of reasons why players, both good and bad, play these tournaments. These are games that can be very profitable, but also require you to make tons of adjustments in order to play them profitably.

If you're playing a hyper turbo MTT the exact same way you would play a tournament with 20 minute blinds, you're just setting yourself up for a loss.

The best short answer I can give is because they enjoy them.

H

hoffs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It basically comes down to time to prize ratio. Turbo's are great way for people who only enter 0.10 tourney as you don't have to sit all day long just to win 20usd. Furthermore people don't really have time to sit all day long playing nothing but poker, so turbos are great option as well.

blackdevil724

blackdevil724

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Why don't you like long reg?? If people wants to give their money in prize pool entering with 10-15 bb i don't care, especialy because i play a lot off bounty tournanents, so i see them as a chance for quick buck withouth risk big chips!!!

vita087

vita087

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
each plays what he wants, who like poker will clearly play tournament where your game is best suited the structure, but many not have a bank roll off can not choose tournaments which has the best structure, but the prices are high

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those tournaments are not that bad. Some players and I mean the regularly ones actually make good profit from this tricky tournaments, not only the cardroom, taking in consideration the rake factor.

H

Haemophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my views are that i enjoy a hyper turbo STT but not a fan of the MTT version as the variance is just too high for my style of playing.

Ivab

Ivab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad structures for tournaments does not exist. Just who do not fit some tournaments. Most often this occurs because of the style of play. Or some do not know how to choose the right game plan for a specific tournament. Everyone must decide for himself where he is comfortable playing. And say there are bad tournaments is wrong. Maybe for someone so bad tournaments is a treasure of happiness.

Abramo Della Luce

Abramo Della Luce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like the (hyper) turbo MTTs either. If you don't get a decent hand in 20 hands (or sometimes even less if people play slow) you're out. Sadly enough, at lower stakes, they seem to be all like this.
About the pay out structure, I don't think there are to much problems. I think there is still a good variety around, with usually between 10 and 20 percent payout, something in the middle of that seems the best for me. Less than 10 % might be the best for the top payers around that manage to reach this often, more than 20 % gives to less payout for a deep run imho.
Long late regs are no problem for me, with very short stacks coming to the table, playing push fold with mediocre hands and helping me to chip up, putting more money in the prize pool and making more people getting paid.

L

Lance Webster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes you show up alittle late it's nice to still be able to register. i'm the type of guy that believes if you don't like something don't do it

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad structures for tournaments does not exist. Just who do not fit some tournaments. Most often this occurs because of the style of play. Or some do not know how to choose the right game plan for a specific tournament. Everyone must decide for himself where he is comfortable playing. And say there are bad tournaments is wrong. Maybe for someone so bad tournaments is a treasure of happiness.

It comes down to the definition of bad (which you did allure to..... but....)

Do you want to gamble, with skill factor being a minor to nonexistent part of your strategy? This is what most poker players I know would not call poker. So, by definition, BAD.

Poker is arguably a game of skill, and when you take this factor away, it is no longer poker.

So short stack and 3 minute blinds are no longer poker.

Thus a bad structure. For a "poker player".