Why do players change their behavior in freeroll tournaments?

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the freerolls have 1000+ players and small payout,so its reasonable to fire with your bullets trying to build massive stack, if it works,I slow down and play better

H

Hcd91

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll behavior

Its because a freeroll lasts so long and there are so many coinflips...whenever anyone feels they have an edge they go all in lol

D

DavPerz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously I agree with everyone trying to get their post count up here, but here's a good take:

Use that loose play style against them. You know people are going to be playing this and that, so things like position are even less important, 'cause they're all who cares! They'll shove that 26o! So all you have to do is just wait. Pick your spots. Tighten your range and play conservative. People are likely to go all-in at any give moment so when you get the nuts, check, check, check, and let them fall into your traps.

W

WHAKAORIORI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think because they go for ages or the registration is open for long time . Or ppl that buy in to them and just all ins / re buys get on ya nerves a lil ha

S

souza155

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that in the freeroll tournaments the biggest payout is at the final table, due to the large number of players it is necessary to play more aggressively to accumulate chips from the beginning. Certainly, as it is a freeroll tournament, there are players who also play more fluidly. I think these two factors make the freeroll tournament different and unpredictable.

wsumiesum

wsumiesum

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
because if they have nothing to loose thay can play loose aggressive with no worries about bankroll..

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More than one side to a player in a freeroll..

People do change for freebies, they have nothing to lose. Serious players, change into the looser form, they might want a break from real money, lose the bankroll pressure.
If you analyze it, why shouldn't a free-roll player do the opposite of everything poker's unwritten rules say a player "should" do in certain situations, ex: 27O, 38O , etc?

rusyamingazov

rusyamingazov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
because its free and they haven't any to lose

demonsinmyhead

demonsinmyhead

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I noticed such a thing. When you play in a tournament small and large, the hands are different. If in the big one it often reaches you, then in the small one it does not

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not all freerolls are the same.
This way of playing some players is common in freeroll tournaments whose password is no protection because it can be found on many sites, so the number of players climbs to thousands. The prize pool is usually $ 10-50 and entering the prizes is an impossible mission for many who have registered. Freeroll players who have an account in multiple poker rooms are often in a situation to have more tournaments at the same time than they are able to play them well. They then "sacrifice" worse tournaments by reducing the number of tournaments to a reasonable number, and if they are lucky, they are put in a position to have chances for ITM in those tournaments.
Freerolls that are better protected from leaking passwords are played much more seriously, "bingo" players are rare.
I don’t understand players who have the attitude of not losing anything by early relegation from a tournament where they didn’t pay the buy in. The lost earnings in such a tournament is an absolute loss.
I try to play all tournaments with equal seriousness regardless of the buy in, even those for play money I play extremely seriously.

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found myself asking the opposite question which is ultimately the same. When you pay you care but when you don't pay you simply don't.

KasyakoFF

KasyakoFF

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
each tournament involves a certain number of players (each with their own style of play, depending on the rank), so you have to adjust!

G

gazdagleszek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My thoughts

I also think the main reason is, that if you do not play with your own cash, you take it less seriously. But for me every tournament is important mainly I play freerolls, and that is how I make some money which I can use to the sport bets. And happened not so far that I won 2 MTT ticket then won with it money a real good one my new record. So I think you have to take seriously beacuse never know.

B

billiamwedge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fields for freerolls is much much larger, with a lot of people half paying attention because it's easier to do something else and shove when they see an ace no matter what. I usually stick to my solid abc poker to make the min cash at least, but when I'm tired or over playing poker, sometimes I catch myself just shoving for the hell of it or bluffing with 0.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably not related, but I worked security on and off for years, and when people were in their cars, they always acted different, and when I needed them to move their cars they acted in the same manner (outside of their car)...people in their cars, are not the same people outside of their cars. (Unless you need them to move their car lol)

Some of the nicest people I have ever known were complete jerks when they were in their car lol (absolutely mind boggling)...I never understood it, the connection I mean, but I assume there is a same connection when playing poker...somehow in ways..

Costy69

Costy69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do people chamge in freerolls

People changr in freerolls because they didnt risk any money so they dony care as much.

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easy , nothing to lose and a "lot" to win ! risk free !

J

jjpaanakker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
unthankful

Because they are unthankful cheap nutters probably on benefits. Time plenty to all-in and skip onto the next freeroll.

barba332

barba332

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,it`s simple,the behavior of the players in a free entry tournament is low or crazy just because it is free,there are low-level players and they want to pay and go all in with any hand,the game will just be leveled by entering to prizes.