When you are the chip lead, should you play wider or tighter?

Mak7uS

Mak7uS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Hello! I play poker and I have a question. Sometimes it happens that I become top 1-3 in chips in a tournament, but then I still lose. How to dominate opponents when you have more chips? Throw more hands to maintain dominance (and chips), or vice versa - open more hands (even those not in my range) to have a better chance of hitting something on the flop? Thanks for your reply.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on cards dealt and on your opponents. If you have an aggro player at the table, you and your big stack will become a target. So if you open raise too often, that type of player is gonna reraise you or shove.
You can of course go on playing and raising but in position and carefuly if the aggro player is on your left.
If it's a table with less action you can regularly raise to steal the blinds. In case of reraise it can be time to fold if you don't trust your hand.

Mak7uS

Mak7uS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
I think it depends on cards dealt and on your opponents. If you have an aggro player at the table, you and your big stack will become a target. So if you open raise too often, that type of player is gonna reraise you or shove.
You can of course go on playing and raising but in position and carefuly if the aggro player is on your left.
If it's a table with less action you can regularly raise to steal the blinds. In case of reraise it can be time to fold if you don't trust your hand.
Thanks!

Fepitaph

Fepitaph

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
depending on which tournament, if you entered not on a bankroll, then you definitely shouldn’t put pressure on stacks of 40-50bb if you have 120+, because you will very often give away chips to players stronger, I rarely become a chip leader, and if all the same the field I'm even weaker in the tournament than I am, I can widen my opening ranges, push with bigger sizes, and just play the tough guy. but again, if I play in a more expensive tournament, I will play clearly by ranges, and no matter how many big blinds I have, the more when I have a really strong combination, then I very often stack my opponent, which is only a plus for me

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, if you have a lot of chips, you should put moderate pressure on the table, but this pressure should not be reckless!!! It will be difficult for you, especially in the early stages of the tournament, when players have a lot of blinds, to put pressure on players, especially from early position. Also, do not watch too many flops, as experienced players will see that you are playing very loose and will definitely take advantage of this! !! If you are not sure or do not know how and when to put pressure on the players at the table, then it is better not to do this at all!!!

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you are the first to get chips you must play very aggressively with your cards. But you shouldn't play every hand, that's a big mistake fans make.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello! I play poker and I have a question. Sometimes it happens that I become top 1-3 in chips in a tournament, but then I still lose. How to dominate opponents when you have more chips? Throw more hands to maintain dominance (and chips), or vice versa - open more hands (even those not in my range) to have a better chance of hitting something on the flop? Thanks for your reply.
Each player should have his own understanding of how to behave in such situations. But generally speaking, you need to do everything in order not to end the tournament early :)
And so, you need to play when there are the necessary conditions for this, when your position allows you, and when you see the weakness of your opponent.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think tighter, but be agressive. Too many players try to bully and loose there stack. Love those players

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It depends on the phase of the tournament, if we are in a prize bubble my recommendation is to play aggressive as well as being close to the final table. It is also very important to be attentive to the way others play

franciscomos

franciscomos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In that case I prefer to be patient with players that have a big amount of chips, but if I see that I'm in a hand only against one with less chips that me I prefer to go all in, so I will not lose to much chips haha

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello brother, your question is very good.
I asked this question exactly 3 months ago to a Cardschat poker pro.
This is a problem that we all have. We had 2 or 3 very good hands at the beginning of the MTT and we are in the first positions and then we are falling.
I think the possible solution to this is not to take advantage of others because your stack is the biggest, but to try to play some medium hands and read the game well. I think that's the base of the game.
I think you should be aggressive with your strong hands, and show some aggressiveness in some positions with weaker or medium hands.
Sometimes play BB hands that in general you would not play (for example, a 43s or 810s or things like that) and read the game well.
I also think that a good strategy is to see what opponents you have at the table, players who call all hands, players who limp, others who are very tight, etc.
But what you have to do is try to apply a strategy so as not to be stagnant and fall from position 1 to position 150 in 1 hour.
It's not good to despair either. In general, when I play MTT I try not to focus on the position of the tournament that I have, but I try to focus on my table and on the game of my opponents and myself. Because there is something that happened to me a long time ago when this thing of being very well placed in a tournament happened to me, I stopped caring about certain hands such as AJo A10 or KJo 66 55 etc. and folded. Now this has long since started to vary in my game, and I have realized that being in important positions, when you follow a solid strategy, you have to play medium or medium-high hands, because they can give you many benefits even against premium hands like It could be a QQ AKs or others.
Within this strategy, the basic and fundamental option is knowing how to fold when you have to. Another mistake of those who are Deep Stack is that they begin to pay how much hand they see and how much hick pair they fell on the flop or showdown, and they begin to lose the analysis of the game.
Suppose this example, you open from x position with an A4s and your opponent pays, at the showdown your Ace appears and the opponent at a certain moment overbet you and the first thing you say is... how am I not going to pay with my As high??? My opponent doesn't want to play against me with my stack!!! and things like that, and what you don't understand is that if your opponent has a strong hand against the player at the table who wants to play in particular, it's against you, because otherwise... who is he going to get chips from????
I think that a fundamental base is to use logic.
My humble opinion, greetings brother:):):)

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when you are the chip leader you must play as you have always played, but you can also use your chepleader status to put your opponents in trouble, especially when the prize bubble is about to burst.

hamon08

hamon08

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When I find myself in such a situation, I will almost always play aggressively because I have an advantage. My opponents who have fewer chips will be under pressure from ICM, so they have to fold often. I will make very wide 3-bets to scare my opponents. But I advise you to do this only with the right players and not very often, because if you are playing against a decent player, he will probably understand that you are just stealing the blinds and then he can move you very often or go all in. You need to choose the right situation and players and play aggressively, then you will dominate others and win tournaments.

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Hey there! I don't think it's going to be the same as usual. Different situations have different decision-making. It all depends on the opponent's performance. If you play in a tight way, you have to be careful about raking and drawing a big pot.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
when you have a lot of chips you have to knock players out of the tournament as soon as possible and the sooner the better so you need to play more hands because you have a lot of chances to win almost every hand because you have a lot of chips and you can take more risks than others, the main thing is don't be afraid and don't play a tight player with a lot of chips this will not be the right game

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Just keep playing the way you were playing before you became a chip leader. You don't have to worry about how many chips you have. Yes, you can call short stacks with a medium hand if you want. Or you can keep playing tight. There is no specific panacea or recipe. Poker is creative! :cool:

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I play more aggressive ,but be careful

GarotoMaroto

GarotoMaroto

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In the tournament or in the game,if it is in the final table then i think more agressive,but who knows XD

Mak7uS

Mak7uS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Looks like all of youre answers means, that no one actually know how to play as a chip lead, so the poker rooms save us from that:)

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will play pretty tight until I get in the $, then loosen up :)

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How I am going to play will depend on the profile of the opponents

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Should be wider but not too lose.

fryderyk

fryderyk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
It all depends on the players at the table. If you feel that aggressive raising will cause fear and fold, you raise. You have more opportunities to take risks, but you have to remember that they will always test you.

Falai_san

Falai_san

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Each person uses a different method from the other according to his knowledge and capabilities within the table.
For me, I prefer not to risk too much and benefit from strong hands only.