When would you fold AA preflop

J

james bright

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all, just wondering when, or if, you would consider laying down AA preflop?

I think I would if there were 3 or 4 all ins ahead of me and I didn’t have a large stack nor was I short. After one or two opponents AA I feel isn’t super strong. Even if you were against 3 or 4 lower starting pairs, there’s a good chance one of them will hit (about 20% each).

I think I would rather have suited connectors if I’m in a multi all in pot.

Thoughts?
I take my chances with the best hand always thats poker get it in good just pray harder if 4 players or more lol!!

T

twaynesworld

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I will never fold preflop AA even if the whole table will go all-in :D
Couldn't be said any better. You may not win, but statistically, which is what we are counting on, you can't be in a better starting position.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only on the bubble in a survivor tournament - how big your stack is doesn't matter in this structure. ITM is ITM in survivor.

Otherwise I'm never folding AA preflop.

Good luck !

BlackMember

BlackMember

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If this is the usual stage of the tournament, then It makes no sense to fold AA preflop. If it is a bubble of a tournament or a satellite, then in certain situations it is possible to fold AA preflop. For cash tables I think no options to fold AA preflop.

H

Hunterlewis31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never, ever would i fold AA pre flop

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won't fold AA anytime. Its an all in if I get raised by one and many. Its the monster hand and if far from getting dominated. Good Luck at the tables!

M

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I would never fold preflop with them, so the whole table went all in, I will die in the attempt if necessary, it is the best pair, of course that does not mean that I will always win with them, but I would never fold

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think AA pair is a strong hand to fold pre flop, sometimes lose, but most times you win.
For example if 4 or 5 players are all in pre flop, perhaps if fold AA pre flop.

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't fold AA pre flop never. Is the best hand pre flop and your chance of win is the high even if you are short in stack can be your oportunity to double up or more. Or what you are waiting for ???...Go luck in tables !!!

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm top 10 in a MTT on the bubble, and a larger stack goes all-in, I would probably fold AA unless I know he's a bullshitter.

Reason being that I might get killed by a bad river, but if I fold I am nearly guaranteed to hit the cash. So it's not worth the risk regardless of my pre-flop odds.

But that's about the only time I'd fold the best hole cards in poker

Last edited:
Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless it's a satellite this hand should never be folded preflop. No exceptions

F

freddy the monster65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well it all depends on how bad you want to cash in a tourny how many are left but i probally would never fold aa ever

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FOLD AA

I'll just desisitir AA if the near bubble case for itm and is low on BIG BLINDS but near anyway example tournament over 1,000 people and there are less than 20 to get in the ITM yet if you have a 20 BBs or I'll give up all in.
:jd4:mateuspoker

Wiltz82

Wiltz82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold AA preflop and being short stacked you have a really good chance of taking a huge pot and if you loose it’s just how the cards play out but having the best hand possible preflop how could you not play it.

B

BuffSabres09

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve folded AA preflop a few times. Cash I never will but tourneys I have if there’s a few All-ins before me. You’re now playing against 6-10outs instead of 2-4. It makes a big difference. I have only done it with an average stack, where if I lose it’ll put me low. Short stack or high stack I’ll take the risk. AA gets cracked way too easily to make it worth it with several other people risking their tournament life.

M

MadPanic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we are 1 before the bubble pops and four people go all in, I might fold AA. Maybe?.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold with pocket aces on the preflop I will not throw...

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once in a 1000 times. Sometimes the situation is so complex that it requires from you some imovative decisions.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA has the highest percentage of pre-flop wins, so I never !!!! and do not under any circumstances do not fold AA preflop. And moving and dispersion has not been canceled..

R

roadmanraja

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've folded aces pre-flop once (correctly) - it was definitely a +EV spot but maybe not in ICM-wise on a final table. I had two people before me all-in who both had pocket pairs (one got a set on the flop) - there are other factors to look at when folding aces preflop potentially but most of the time you shouldn't even be thinking of folding aces pre.

JusThieF

JusThieF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At main event if many players would went all in in earty stage i would fold it.

Krypton173

Krypton173

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
99% Never, 1% maybe in a satellite because of ICM.

bighert2

bighert2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would never fold AA pre-flop. Would standard open from any position and be willing to re-raise/push. Less than 15 bb would gladly open shove.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
never, much less preflop, I always play with them, the only way is that I already see the flop and it is very evident that I lose but I never fold with AA, it is one of the strongest pairs that there are and they should take advantage when they give them

Folding in Poker