When to shove in tournaments ??? Also, tournament strategy

dackler

dackler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the way you are trying to play is not suitable for a winning player.

Even if you double up, it doesn't mean that you're going to win the tournament.

I'm guessing you're focusing on the average chips of the tournament. Instead pay attention to your table and how many chips does everyone sitting around you has.

Even if you want to shove pre-flop, only shove if you have less than 8-15 blinds depending on the table aggression and your position.

I'd suggest you read some books/articles on how to play pre-flop for whichever level you prefer.

I am a winning player though? lol:D

S

Skillet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls I've found you have to pretty much shove when you have a decent hand preflop or on the turn, especially early. If you can't make 5 times your stack within the first 4 blind raises, you will be unlikely to place. Playing too tight or conservative will limit your opportunities to gain chips, and will let your hopeful opponents catch half a hand and raise you out of the pot.

Everyone has their own way of playing tournaments, I tend to be more aggressive than I would be in any other situation, even playing in person.

R

roberth225

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for all the great info really helps

dackler

dackler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls I've found you have to pretty much shove when you have a decent hand preflop or on the turn, especially early. If you can't make 5 times your stack within the first 4 blind raises, you will be unlikely to place. Playing too tight or conservative will limit your opportunities to gain chips, and will let your hopeful opponents catch half a hand and raise you out of the pot.

Everyone has their own way of playing tournaments, I tend to be more aggressive than I would be in any other situation, even playing in person.

I'm playing a couple freerolls right now.

You are definitely right in saying that there is alot of shove action going on in freerolls. I think it is because people dont respect the tournament due to the fact that it is at no risk to them.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in my opinion the most important thing is "stack managing" that means to take decision taking your stack as consideration. i won't talk about this but is related with the thread question, when you have a stack below 15bb you should push all-in with any strong hand, but i don't recommend to call if your hand is not good enough (something like A-9, K-T) you can push but not call, but if you have a critical stack below 7 blinds you can call.
when you have strong stack you can play a bit loose if you want you can even play agressive but you can't risk more than 40% of your stack if you're not sure you're going to win that hand, it's a huge mistakes ( i learnt from my own bad experiences) to gamble coinflips when your stack is good. if you have a big stack and you play a hand against another guy with a similar and he/she shove you can call if you have a really good hand (or nuts) or if he's just a maniac that got many chips with luck but still you need a good hand but not neccesary nuts in that case to win.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play Position Lighter

Try calling with some s:Duited connectors in position

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the start of a tourney when the blinds are low and the chips are plenty, instead of waiting for a great hand to double up. I have been min raising or limping with the crowd with low suited connectors, or not suited. If you get a nice straight with them, someone with top pair and good kicker will call a good bit of chips.
Like you, I have been trying to figure out when to shove before getting too low. I was waiting too long and getting called by more than one player. Sometimes good, not usually. I started shoving while I thought that I could hurt a player if he loses the call. Always better to bet than call. Instead of watching the average, which I used to do and did well. I am starting to play again after not playing for a while. So it will take me a little bit more to get comfortable.
I find that if the players are not too aggressive or call anything, you can get away with a few. I do notice in the stats, if I don't get any hands won without showdown I don't do nearly as well as when I do. I am starting to remember different things I would keep track of before.
Good luck.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only go all in with 12BB down in the pre flop, and with a range of hands with fairness to shove .. near the bubble if I am deep stack, I put pressure on the table because a lot of players are very confident I take advantage of this normally

dackler

dackler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only go all in with 12BB down in the pre flop, and with a range of hands with fairness to shove .. near the bubble if I am deep stack, I put pressure on the table because a lot of players are very confident I take advantage of this normally

Solid strategy. I play similarly.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never shove. I just go all in :), and it does not matter what the average stack is, the only thing that matters is if your cards hold up or not. Think about it, if you wait to go all in until your stack is a certain size vs the BB, you will lose value from missed opportunities of doubling up earlier when you had premium hands, not to mention that it is quite possible that if you went all in earlier you would have doubled up, but now when you finally decide it is the perfect time, your cards don't hold up and you bust.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to think about Harrington's M - M is just the sum of the blinds and antes, so it's a measure of how long you can survive at the table at that blind level. If I am rapidly approaching 5 M I look for a spot to shove, I might start to look for a spot a few rounds earlier.