When to shove AA or KK preflop?

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With AA or KK you should going to put all in preflop. The best when it is against 1 or 2 opponents, but what when there is 4 callers? Close your eyes and wait :p

nobodysf00l

nobodysf00l

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when playing in a tourney do you want to risk your t-life on one hand? something to think about....

A

Allanjyork

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it was me I'd all in with both, unless I'm near the bubble. If I am near the bubble I'll play weak and fold if it gets too hot. After the bubble I'm back to all in for both

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise 4x +1x per limper in cash game 9 max and 6max. Also I think all in looks weaker than 4x. Though a 30 BB shove looks super strong.

C

Cazador twd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
largely it depends on the situation you are in

UberKadet

UberKadet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve been in many situations where it would’ve been better to shove AA or KK preflop but I have 30BB+ and the play would look too strong and get no calls so instead I’ll 3x or 4x but I often find myself with more callers than I’d like.

Is there any optimum time to shove large pocket pairs maybe UTG or late position when faced with many raises?

I hate having my AA cracked when I 4x to j10 and they hit a straight. I can’t get plays down for large pocket pairs when it comes to value/shoving. Any suggestions would help!
the optimum amount to raise preflop to get 1-2 callers with AA/KK is really important. it all depends on what each player stack is and what are the blinds. if im playing high stake i would have to raise more then when im playing amongst friends. since its best to go into a hand with 1-2 callers, i would assume 1/3 avg stack of all players would be a solid raise where u would get fewer callers

UberKadet

UberKadet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I raise 4x +1x per limper in cash game 9 max and 6max. Also I think all in looks weaker than 4x. Though a 30 BB shove looks super strong.
your def right...all in does look weakers then a 4x raise. most time when a person bets a lot (more then 70% stack) or allin, i feel they have a lower pocket pair or have high cards and are trying to drive away other players. naturally if u hit the nuts on the flop u arent going to go allin.

recently i was in a hand in which i had AK and opponent had AQ...Flop comes A92 rainbow. he bets 2000, i call. then he bets 5000, on turn which was a 4, i called. no flush draw and possible str8 draw. river comes a 8..so flops is A9248. I know im in a good position and overall pot is approx 16000. then he bets 25k in a 16k pot. now im thinking either he has hit trips or 2 pair. not being confident enough i fold and he show AQ..when i clearly had him dominated with AK. just goes to show big ass bets doesnt mean he has nuts or the best hand. in most cases they either have nothing or a weaker hand and are betting big to drive away any callers.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No perfect way. I will always three or four bet f I can with them I see lots of people trying to slow play them and get out flopped. It happens I just prefer to make sure I get beat by it by a premium hand also not some playing 9-5 suited.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This situation is in the grey zone and depends on the players at your table and their tendencies. You want to get one caller with your aces preferably, so find a raise size that achieves that. If 4x gets you 5 callers and 8x gets you 0 try 5 or 6 and see what happens. There will be a sweet spot.

drbottlecap10

drbottlecap10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to shove AA or KK if I ever get reraised. I don't like to get into a raising battles,I like to force my opponent to make a quick decision.

EllinLucky

EllinLucky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now I raise 4bb+ 1bb for each limper and go allin if anybody reraise me.

r_iiiichard

r_iiiichard

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It really depends a lot on the situation, the amount of BB you have, your position, if it is you who are paying.

Let's assume you're UTG with KK and open 3xBB and HJ shove all in 20BB SB and BB fold. Is it profitable to pay pre-flop? I do not think so and it would even be interesting to me if someone more experienced mathematically explained the reason.

Already in a standard scenario, with either AA or KK, I believe the best line to follow is a raise or 3bet preflop and continue the game on the other streets.

See you

Last edited:
ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not shoving them very often. Ill shove JJ before AA usually. 13bb and under Ill shove. Ill rejam a little more, maybe 17bb but this is headsup of course, Multiway pots, these big hands will go in fast but Im not just jamming in over 17bb unless its MW.

J

Jimboskie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2.2x it and hope that you get 3 bet. Depending on your image at the table somebody may 3 bet you wide. There are certain ICM stiuations that I've run across where I've folded AA preflop. Good luck at the tables!

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Premium pairs can be deceptive. You still only have one pair. You should raise or re-raise preflop, but if you end up in a multiway situation postflop, especially on a wet board, you should be disciplined enough let your hand go against aggression.

A

amine duc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the situation if there agrissive players or not

L

leon_fush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, you always need to raise and re-raise absolutely from any position, the meaning of their limping when there are 3 5 people in the game will necessarily move, just do not be afraid to go and all-in and hope that some kind of bot will not move with the offended 2-7)) )

UberKadet

UberKadet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This situation is in the grey zone and depends on the players at your table and their tendencies. You want to get one caller with your aces preferably, so find a raise size that achieves that. If 4x gets you 5 callers and 8x gets you 0 try 5 or 6 and see what happens. There will be a sweet spot.
the amount one raises whether its 4x or more totally depends on who all your playing with. ideally 1 or max 2 callers when i have AA or KK. So knowing the players and how much it would take to get 2 callers max is the trick. Sometimes if u overbet too much u will get no callers and thus not make anything on your high pocket pair.

UberKadet

UberKadet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Premium pairs can be deceptive. You still only have one pair. You should raise or re-raise preflop, but if you end up in a multiway situation postflop, especially on a wet board, you should be disciplined enough let your hand go against aggression.
letting your hand go when u know board is wet is key....as AA is just a pair at the end of the day. i know lot of ppl dont fold it and give it too much value even when a str8 n flush draw is on the board.

Anatoliy Tolik

Anatoliy Tolik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is more convenient for me to play the top pair from late positions when I can relay a player or players who have already put it. From the early positions, I mainly do 3 pockets on the situation, throw it away hard but sometimes you need

A

angelbelchev

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you play a freeroll at the beginning of the tournament, make a raise immediately in the 10 BB and after the flop , make all-inn

A

alezdsgs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I have some of those combinations, first I notice what position I am in. If I'm UTG, I do not place a strong bet because I give suspicion but in another position if I increase before the flop.

E

Ehusstle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Whatever you do just don't limp in I'll never forget the lesson I learned when I got cracked with 5/3 off suit and that's because I didn't raise preflop so whatever you do if you raise all in or raise 2 * a big blind just raise

D

DymaChymshyt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve been in many situations where it would’ve been better to shove AA or KK preflop but I have 30BB+ and the play would look too strong and get no calls so instead I’ll 3x or 4x but I often find myself with more callers than I’d like.

Is there any optimum time to shove large pocket pairs maybe UTG or late position when faced with many raises?

I hate having my AA cracked when I 4x to j10 and they hit a straight. I can’t get plays down for large pocket pairs when it comes to value/shoving. Any suggestions would help!
First thing you have to understand its the limit you are playing: in low limits you can get call from any opponent with any hand.

For example, in one cheap tournament I got call at my 12 bb raise from opponent with 27o. I had AA. Flop [2] [Q] [J], I raise 1/2 pot, he calls, turn [10], I raise 3/4 pot, hi calls. I'm thinking "do you really have a straight??", river [2], I shove all-in - he calls and win with trips of deuces((
So that, when I'm playing AA or KK I'm always put all-in preflop. If you are not so aggressive, you have to understand that if you have AA or KK on pre flop it doesn't mean that you have to play all in anyway, keep thinking about distance )):icon_stud