When its bad!!!

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have heard many times about Variance etc, however, how can one deal with an extremely bad run where you can't win a race, a flip or even with the best hand by the turn...
I have just played 11 SitNGo Tourneys all $1 entry and 45 players..the closest I got to ITM was 9th otherwise I got booted with AQ, AKs,AA,2 pr flopped 3 times, JJ 3times and QQ, I just wonder do I keep donating or give it up for a while???:):):)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only 7 out of 45 gets paid in these tournaments, so 38 out of 45 does not get paid. This mean, that for an average player the risk of not cashing is 84,4%, and the risk of not cashing 11 times in a row is 15,6% or almost 1 out of 6. So what you experienced is not even that unusual, and it will happen to you again many times, if you continue playing.

So better get used to it and stop seeing it as something completely out of the ordinary. You will most likely also see streatches, where you dont cash 20 or 25 in a row, or maybe you get one min-cash, which almost does not matter. Basically this is why, you need a bankroll of up to 100 BIs to play this kind of events.

With that being said it can certainly be a good idea to stop for the day, if you played 11 SnGs without cashing. Most people will start to feel frustrated (tilt), and then mistakes tend to begin creeping in. You are not a professional player, so no reason to continue playing, if you are not enjoying it. As some other forum members say, when the fun stops, stop :)

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Different tactics, change can happen..

You are on a bad run, we've all been there. If I'm running bad at NLHE, for example, I'd try a little low stakes omaha hi/lo, for example. A different game than hold 'em, might bring the change in luck you are due for.
Also, you might switch it up, TAG for LAG, or total aggression.
You were spot on when you said, "maybe I should take a break.." Sometimes, we diagnose our problems with our advice; the hard part is following it.

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck and Skill

You need both and percentages are not on your side. Keep the faith as this game is always going round and round for good and a whole lot of bad beats. Just have fun and when needed take a break. Capo1014

WickedFRoST

WickedFRoST

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
11 SNGs is not that much, so relax and do not pay much attention to bad runouts.

If you cannot handle such bad beats, then, I would suggest switching to some other disciplines with less variance. SNGs in general are high variance games, and bad streaks happen quite frequently. You need to play 10 000 - 12 000 of them all on a decent level to have any sort of result.

Sometimes you will win 2-3 in a row, and other times you will have a run of 40-50 SNGos without cashing along the road. So being able to handle it psychologically is crucial.

So try to ignore such bad beats for now and see if you can still play your A-game. If not, then switching to cash games could be the answer.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi CDNMAN42. I just come through a 3 day downswing, and I don't know if it's over because I haven't played any yet. All I can tell you is the fact that if you sit there and fold, fold, and fold some more. That's the NOTHING hands, and when you catch calling hands, try to get in with the least amount of money you can. It's just a fact, when you are losing, you will lose with all kinds of hands. All you can do is wait it out. GL to you

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is better to take a break. A break will allow you to calm down and after the break you will have more patience and better concentration.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't do anything about it, the answer to this question is very simple, it's poker!

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
This has happened to me a lot and what I do is stop playing, personally it is the best I can do, I return the next day and I keep trying, sometimes I have to wait a little longer, sooner or later the bad streak improves

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have noticed more than once, that sometimes the impossible happens on Pokerstars.. Sometimes one's day, absolutely against you and it is impossible to win absolutely nothing... It doesn't matter how you play, what kind of hand you have and what opponent is against you. On another day, you may not get anything good, but knock out very strong hands of your opponents... I do not know how it works, but maybe it really is. I think it is right to do the analysis not in one day of the game, you need to look at it within one or two weeks..

To answer your question, I think when nothing works out, you need to turn off the client and go to rest)) On another day, you can get a lot of money)

If you keep losing at a long distance, I think you should study your mistakes and how you play, because SitNGo has its own characteristics and you need to find your own strategy for these fast tournaments)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are taking good spots and playing well, 11 SNGs in a row shouldn't concern you or affect you. If you aren't playing that well, the 11 SNGs in a row could be partially due to your play and a break is in order.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm fell like I'm having bad lcuk for in this month aswell. The worst is when you get a call from someone with a really bad hand and they suckout on you. My recommendation would be to play less games a day and focus more on them and once you start winning back you play more. It's really easy to lose control and end up wasting a lot of money trying to recover your losses. Good luck.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience, I want to say if you are now at a stage Where you are doing well, you need to maximize the number of games because this period can end ahead of the big wins more money.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Up to you, doesn't really matter, your sample is too small

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hear you. I lost today heads up with a 5:1 chip lead. Three all ins in a row. AQ<AJ with a J in river, 88>Q7 with Q on turn, then A9<K8 he hits runner runner straight after A on turn. Couldn’t believe the great cards I was getting heads up but guess you are supposed to fold pairs and Ax heads up? It’s getting ridiculous. Probably going to be time for another break. Been back a few months hoping things might have changed online but the above seems to be the norm. Even when I’m playing tournaments and others are all in with AA they usually lose more than they win. Oh well, I know everyone complains about the same thing but doesn’t that give it merit? If everyone believes that the best hands pre flop lose more than they should then.... When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.

Anyways, I’m still up couple of hundred mostly from the CardsChat freerolls and other freerolls I’ve played. Maybe time to cash out and just continue the CardsChat freerolls once or twice a week for fun. At least for a while.

Hope your luck turns.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Some people say that the 45s are the easiest way to get money. But you don't see that only 7 out of 45 get paid so it's not that easy a way. I played sit and gos for a while and noticed that it was easier to get money in the 90s than in the 45s, although I have already won some 45s and of course lost some 90s, I don't like the 45s that much. But I'm also very changeable when it comes to that. But sometimes it looks like you can't do anything then you just don't have any luck, no matter how or what you play and if that makes you tilt then you should probably take a short break and try again later or the next day or however long you need. Always remember it is just a game and as was said before when the fun stops then stop. I hope and wish you continue to have fun with the game and I wish you much success in your next games