When to go all-in as the SS

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always have trouble with this. My stack size gets smaller. I'm the SS at the table , at what point should I consider to go all-in before the blinds get me fully committed? When my stack size is 10xBB? 12xBB 15xBB 20xBB or higher?

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on a number of different things. Your cards, stack size, your opponents stack size, your position and how your opponents are playing. The best thing to do is to post your hand histories of spots you are having trouble with and people here will give you there advise on what you should do.

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 12bb or less, you can't really raise without going all in. Unless you have a big hand and you think someone will shove over your raise.

Less than 18bb, you have to consider going all in -- especially if there has been action in front of you. I'm usually shoving if my bet will leave me with less than 12bb behind.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It depends on a number of different things. Your cards, stack size, your opponents stack size, your position and how your opponents are playing. The best thing to do is to post your hand histories of spots you are having trouble with and people here will give you there advise on what you should do.

this ^

and, what game are you playing? STT-SNG or MTT or MTT-SNG?

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
15 bb or less.

If you still have over 15 bb, then there could still be some safe places to committ your chips, for eg, on the button c/o, no raisers before you, then the percentages are starting to favour you, go for it.

E

engman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should shove with an ace high type hand or a pair at least. Try to avoid shoving from early position unless you have a close to premium hand cause that's how you will get picked off. The closer to the big blinds, the better chance you have of at least taking the blinds

I

investshen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Should you consider all-in??

For more than 20bb,you should not consider all-in unless you have a monster cards.But for less than 10bb,you should go all-in on pre-flop whenever u have a decent cards as to get rid of some players and head-up with some daring player to increase your chance of winner.When you have become a small stack player,you cannot really play skillfully but try with the element of luck.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't believe some of the advice in this thread??
10BB is standard to start shoving, but up to 12BB is usually fine too. When you have 9 - 12BB you want to be shoving different ranges depending on stack sizes, players left, cards etc.
Some times you can shove 100% (an unexploitable shove) because it's always +$EV.
This topic is too massive for a single post but check out sources on the net to try and build the bigger picture (read Moshmans SNG strat. if you can get ahold of it)

ripclawph

ripclawph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would go allin with Ax if im in the final table. either win it by stealing or winning it to get a better position. assuming no other opponent raised before me.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some good responses,
I am not really to keen on Ax cause possible a pair or a higher Ax kicker will be out there to call.
I am looking to avoid a call with shoving so even nonpremium hands at the co,button or sb without any raisers might be a better scenerio to shove.
I hate being blinded out but I'm not willing to wait until 3.5 BB for premium hands. I think 10 BB - 12BB is reasonable to shove 100%.

I trouble I have is playing 10BB-20BB stack. One losing hand can cripple the stack to way under 10BB. I just find having under 5BB there's no respectable stack size left, and the BB with any two cards will call, and everyone else will be gunning for the SS.

Last edited:
D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So isn't it reasonable to have 10BB in "reserve" to shove 100% as the last "harah" and that leaves whatever left to reasonable play with so if I'm playing with 20BB then I really have 10BB to shove if my object is to steal the blind. I can steal with 3xBB or 4xBB that leaves me 3 chances and I if do not suceed then I willing to shove 100% with 10BB left.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some good and some really poor advice here.

First off, the MTT or STT question makes a world of difference. Also, if you find yourself constantly (regularly) being SS - or even simply going out - before or on the bubble, then you need to look at why this is first.

Other than that, it is always gonna be situation dependent.

As already said by another, this post:
"It depends on a number of different things. Your cards, stack size, your opponents stack size, your position and how your opponents are playing. The best thing to do is to post your hand histories of spots you are having trouble with and people here will give you there advise on what you should do."
kinda says it all.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's really hard to play a good postflop game unless one has 20BB or more.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's really hard to play a good postflop game unless one has 20BB or more.

So we are pretty obviously referring to MTTs here.......

As stated, there is no generic response. 20 BB can be a great stack for doing all kinds of things, it can be a terrible stack in a particular hand in a particular situation. Post HH. It needs to be situation specific.

20 BB is by no means SS, depending. if you have 1-2 <15 BB stacks as well as 1-2 25-30 BB you can become a terror in the right situation, but there is no way to say "!this is what you do" cause it will be different and changing constantly as well..............

Last edited:
pricecube

pricecube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Less than 20BB is when things like pocket pairs and suited connectors become less profitable to play although I wouldn't consider 20BB to be short stacked. When I'm down to 10BB I'm shoving any ace from late position and even king or queen high along with any pocket pair. You can look at who is defending their BB and who isn't and act accordingly.