Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok
so your in a tournament
and its been a long and grueling session
thats has lasted for 5-6 hours
you are in position 5th/28 remaining from a field of 400+

at what stage do you believe that you may be in a good position to win the entire tournament or do you just stay humble and take it as it comes?

P

paapcity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think i start to believe i could win the tournament when im stillin good shape at the FT, before that i dont think about winning.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe I could win it when all the chips are in front of me. Thinking you have a good chance of winning can lead to complacency just keep playing your A game and see what happens

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to play optimally in each hand, and I don’t even think about winning even playing at the final table. Only an optimal game.:cool:

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok
so your in a tournament

at what stage do you believe that you may be in a good position to win the entire tournament or do you just stay humble and take it as it comes?

I usually set myself goals along the way. In this example I would probably set a goal to finnish on final table. Once I would have achieved that goal, I would percieve anything more to be a bonus and therefore play more relaxed, which I believe leads to better games.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was 1st place in the tourney through most of the midtourny, before the money, and kept that spot well into the money. During the final three tables I had a couple bad beats, such as AA getting beat by 999 and AKQJT getting beat by flush. By the time I got to the final table I was in 3rd place and managed to move up to 2nd. Had another bad beat with number 1, and finished 9th.

I usually tell myself to feel good once I make it to the money, cuz then I didn't lose money at least. Then again once I get to final table congrats to myself, cuz now it's good money (profit) no matter what else happens. Of course this only applies if there are multiple payout positions. In a tourney where there are only 3 prizes or 6, then even getting to the final table hasn't won you anything yet. So much random stuff happens at final tables and you rarely see the flop, that it is hard to say how anyone will place there.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe I could win it when all the chips are in front of me. Thinking you have a good chance of winning can lead to complacency just keep playing your A game and see what happens

This makes sense to me. I focus on each hand and try to make the best decision I can.

AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i believe from start tournament in my winn ;):jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was sitting on 400k with 5 left last night, 2nd largest stack and i started to believe! Everyone was playing extremely tight. Blinds 4/8k chip lead has like 480k and the other 3 have 200k.. My bets and raises are all being folded to..AJs in BB against button raise i ship it expecting the short stack to fold but he calls with AQ. I flop flush draw but never get there, a few hands later i get AKh on Button, i raise and get jammed on by the bb... I got him covered and call his 1010 Holds and i'm down to 85k. I start jamming wide and got back to 150k, blinds 6/12k at this point. I jam utg with 33 called by 66 and gg. Then i took my prize and gambled it all on black and lost lol. Had a nice stack/respect/patience and everything was going so good, then boom boom boom eliminated in 5th.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I dont even think about it until late at the final table. All it takes is one bad beat to change everything and you go from being a chip leader to just holding on.

S

sparky112

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker

i believe from start tournament in my winn ;):jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

I was sitting on 400k with 5 left last night, 2nd largest stack and i started to believe! Everyone was playing extremely tight. Blinds 4/8k chip lead has like 480k and the other 3 have 200k.. My bets and raises are all being folded to..AJs in BB against button raise i ship it expecting the short stack to fold but he calls with AQ. I flop flush draw but never get there, a few hands later i get AKh on Button, i raise and get jammed on by the bb... I got him covered and call his 1010 Holds and i'm down to 85k. I start jamming wide and got back to 150k, blinds 6/12k at this point. I jam utg with 33 called by 66 and gg. Then i took my prize and gambled it all on black and lost lol. Had a nice stack/respect/patience and everything was going so good, then boom boom boom eliminated in 5th.
It is designed to do it to you good lol good luck next time, be patient and fold a lot

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

be careful around that red/black game at the end. It takes lots of people's money.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just take it as it comes. I play every hand as it own and if I'm still in the tournament after it than I'm happy and I'm set up for the next hand. So much can happen from hand to hand in a poker tournament you have to play it one hand at a time and that is all you can do. If you want to win the thing you have to keep your mind on the current hand and nothing else or you'll get crushed.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the final table, even when a small stack. The final table is always a chance to quickly ramp up the stack. Then you are more than ever for all the tournament close to winning it.

Dchoyt82

Dchoyt82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok
so your in a tournament

I would say when there is around 12 players left and you're first in chips lol.

Honestly always stay Humble.

I can't tell you how many tournies I busted when I was chip leader deep.
I had to look back every time in disgust with myself like wtf just happened...

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
If you are in a 5th / 28 position, of course you can and you must believe that you can win the tournament ... but you should not take unnecessary risks ... choose the spots you are going to play well, and mainly attack those opponents who have less than 10BB ... pay close attention to the movements of your opponents ... and never discard any opponent ... I have seen dead resurrect and win tournaments ...!

R

roman5551993

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just play and not in a hurry waiting for the result.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
for me it depends on how good my game is to a certain point in the tournament, it often depends on how solid I am playing and if we are 20 or less players I can think that I have a chance to win the tournament, I just try to set goals to throughout the tournament, and as I get it I think more than I can win

D

donkey2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say when there is around 12 players left and you're first in chips lol.

Honestly always stay Humble.

I can't tell you how many tournies I busted when I was chip leader deep.
I had to look back every time in disgust with myself like wtf just happened...

Omg yesss I was 1st of 9 in a 5k tourny and had 15x chips of the highest stack. Got way too ****y n was trying to bluff every hand thinking they can't kill me even if they do have it! I finished In 8th place for $58 when I really should have won or placed 3rd minimum. But I learned from tht

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With that many people left there's still a lot can happen the amount of times I've been big chip leader with 15 left only to finish 8th. Just take each hand as it comes and try to make the best decision each time. When I've got really deep and eliminated in 11th or whatever after being the chip leader with 20 left hurts more than anything else. I once lost with AA v A4 all in with 12 left we were the two biggest stacks in the tourney and he rivered a wheel hurt for weeks

Dchoyt82

Dchoyt82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omg yesss I was 1st of 9 in a 5k tourny and had 15x chips of the highest stack. Got way too ****y n was trying to bluff every hand thinking they can't kill me even if they do have it! I finished In 8th place for $58 when I really should have won or placed 3rd minimum. But I learned from tht

It's a shitty feeling.

I just got burned again by a 2 out river ace. Got 5th place in a $300 gtd.

U on Twitter bro ?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Emotion is bad

ok
so your in a tournament

Thank you for posting.

When you start to speculate about winning you are introducing desire, which is emotion. We must continue to make objective rational decisions each hand. Emotion hinders us from doing that.

Besides being surprised at the end is so much more fun than expecting it.:D

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I get to the final table this is the time I think I can win the tournament