When do you realise that poker is not your thing?

D

DmitriM

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
EE
Chips
Honestly, I love playing poker. I can come up with some strategy. I can be patient. But getting kicked out all the time in the last 70-80 people, with some really bad beats.
Starting to think that maybe I should just bloody quit.
When is that moment in poker, when you should play some weak but potentially good hands? Especially in the last part of the tournament!?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a break from poker or consider changing to a lower variance format like cash games or SnGs. Large field MTTs is the most mentally challenging format of all, because the real successes are so few and far between.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I think when you feel that is not good for your emotions and your life, maybe you can rest or stop to play, because bad beats always be there.
Good luck.

exer888

exer888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
Honestly, I love playing poker. I can come up with some strategy. I can be patient. But getting kicked out all the time in the last 70-80 people, with some really bad beats.
When is that moment in poker, when you should play some weak but potentially good hands? Especially in the last part of the tournament!?
Its fine to quit regurarly, and play time to time when you feel good about playing poker. Dont force playing.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even the best players in the world go through bad runs. I would just take a little break then plug away again.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Jarrod Tendler has written a good book on how to change your mental state towards poker, here is aquote from it:

. A solid player is a mental game fish if they:
1. Change a proven winning strategy because they are running bad/hot.
2. Never recognize when someone has played well against them and/or believe everyone they play against is bad and just gets lucky.
3. Try to win every hand.
4. Think the outcome of a hand can be changed by shouting, praying, or playing a favorite hand.
5. Get frustrated when a bad player plays badly and they even educate them as to why they are bad.
6. Feel like a failure when they lose a hand that was played profitably.
7. Think the solution to running bad is to stop playing or change stakes.
8. Read a poker book cover to cover and think they know everything in it.
9. Watch some of Phil Galfond’s training videos and think they should now be able to crush the game like him.
10. Believe that they are cursed or that other people are luckier than they are.
11. Believe it’s possible to own another player’s soul.
12. Play more hands when they are winning/losing.
13. Play fewer hands when they are winning/losing.
14. Play badly when the stakes are too small for them to care.
15. Allow things to get personal with another regular.
16. Tell bad beat stories to anyone that will listen, while doing nothing to improve how they react to bad beats

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you enjoy the game, spend some more time studying. The pay off will be better results!

In time you will get more accustomed to bad beats, at crucial moments of the tournament. Don't focus on it... don't worry about it. Keep your thinking focused on making the right decisions & let go of the stuff you can't control (don't concern yourself much with the outcomes as long as you feel you have been making good decisions). We always have the opportunity to make better decisions & we can continue to make improvements. It takes time & effort. Some of this effort also needs to be put into 'not reacting or becoming emotionally attached to situations'. (a.k.a. 'sh1t happens').

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If at any point they told you it was going to be easy, they deceived you.

almir nicolau

almir nicolau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion, anyone who talks about badbeats is no longer a fan of poker.
Play 1000 games, e.g. tournaments and see your ROI, graph, etc. You will definitely know if it's your thing or not.
Definitely find out if poker is for you! You should look into how the professional game works, how ranges behave in certain positions, tournament times to play such a range, the nature of the game, just so you can see if it's your thing or not!!!

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For me it would be if I no longer enjoyed playing. I don't see that happening at my stage in life since I've played it for almost sixty years, and will have been playing tournaments for five years in October. However, anything is possible. Who knows, maybe I'll decide to go back to shooting competitively when I finally retire for good and have the time. :)

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Playing poker is fun, it's not a duty, it's not a job. Either you play and enjoy the game, or you're just wasting your time and need to find another hobby. You have to decide for yourself how you feel about the game. Only you yourself should understand what your goals are, and whether you are ready to spend your precious time for them.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
For many of us, any loss can have a major impact on our mood and mental state. And for some players, a loss causes an irresistible desire to win back, which ultimately often leads to dire consequences.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
You're probably in a pretty big hole right now. I empathize with the situation because I am the same way at the moment.
I've figured out that from now on I'll write down all the parties I play at. With one freeroll per day, it's honestly not a big deal. But I want to share what cards I get so that everyone can see that we don't start the game on equal terms... I'm not talking about one or two tournaments, but about what I've experienced in the last few weeks (based on about 20-30 tournaments).
You can talk about a bad series, but I think this goes far beyond that.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think everyone answered your question about the mental game, looking at the rest of your question... if you're "getting kicked out all the time in the last 70-80 people with some really bad beats" and you are wondering when is the time to play some weak but potentially good hands then one of two things are happening... either you're just experiencing more than your share of variance at the moment or you're playing too tight waiting for perfect hands and not looking for spots and taking those chances to chip up, when you're getting down to 10 or 15 bbbs you're going to have to take those chances anyway so start looking for spots to take those shots against certain players and stack sizes earlier when you still have enough of a stack to really play or you're going to end up going out again towards the later stages in yet another bad beat.... honestly poker isn't for everyone, it's a frustrating game if you're not having fun👍

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would advise you to take a short break and “reboot” - some short trip, an interesting book can help with this. Regarding your question specifically, you should stop playing poker if you see that it has too negative an impact on your emotional state, which can lead to poor sleep, irritability and nervous breakdowns. Until that happens, just enjoy the moment and remember that it's just a game. Good luck!

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Jarrod Tendler has written a good book on how to change your mental state towards poker, here is aquote from it:

. A solid player is a mental game fish if they:
1. Change a proven winning strategy because they are running bad/hot.
2. Never recognize when someone has played well against them and/or believe everyone they play against is bad and just gets lucky.
3. Try to win every hand.
4. Think the outcome of a hand can be changed by shouting, praying, or playing a favorite hand.
5. Get frustrated when a bad player plays badly and they even educate them as to why they are bad.
6. Feel like a failure when they lose a hand that was played profitably.
7. Think the solution to running bad is to stop playing or change stakes.
8. Read a poker book cover to cover and think they know everything in it.
9. Watch some of Phil Galfond’s training videos and think they should now be able to crush the game like him.
10. Believe that they are cursed or that other people are luckier than they are.
11. Believe it’s possible to own another player’s soul.
12. Play more hands when they are winning/losing.
13. Play fewer hands when they are winning/losing.
14. Play badly when the stakes are too small for them to care.
15. Allow things to get personal with another regular.
16. Tell bad beat stories to anyone that will listen, while doing nothing to improve how they react to bad beats
Oh yes, this is a wonderful book. In it you can find almost all the answers regarding the emotional component of poker.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
When we have bad streaks I think frustration gets the better of us and we have those types of thoughts or we say that it is not for us or I shouldn't continue in poker, but I always think that these are moments or a bad streak, we just have to keep trying, correct the mistakes in our game and continue improving, unfortunately we cannot always win or have the result we want, sometimes we have to take a break and keep trying

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think I'll ever believe that poker isn't my thing. The truth is that as entertainment it is great, I think that people give up playing it simply because it is not realistic that no one becomes a millionaire overnight playing poker and that what we often see on television is simply advertising as in any other business to attract more customers to poker websites. Regards.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Hello. I'm not an expert by any means but I wouldn't advise you to give up poker but I would say to analyze your game when you play well and move forward and your game when you make mistakes or when you sink worse and worse. The answers will always be with you, you just need a very realistic analysis.
Good luck!

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
every time I get thrown all-in from an early position and I have AA, I see that my opponent has 73 different suits and I lose threes to him, every time I think poker is not my thing)

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sometimes you may have doubts, but never give up, bad beats exist for them and for you too, enjoy and relax, when it happens, stop, analyze and play again, don't give up, always play. Good luck

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I know it's not my thing cause I haven't great achievements and winnings Still I am playing cause poker is my hobby