When the blinds are high, should you play tight or aggressive?

dangbaonguyen93

dangbaonguyen93

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
In Poker, playing tight is understood as rarely showing cards, while playing aggressively means betting/raise/reraise but rarely limping/calling/folding. In poker, aggressive players always have an advantage.

pansipos

pansipos

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
In Poker, playing tight is understood as rarely showing cards, while playing aggressively means betting/raise/reraise but rarely limping/calling/folding. In poker, aggressive players always have an advantage.
My experience is that not for long. They fall out soon.

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Tight OR aggressive?
Tight = low % of hands played
Loose = high % of hands played
Aggressive = often/more Bet/Raise/Reraise
Passive = often/more Call
There is no decision between tight and aggressive to be made.
And tbh: I don´t understand the post under your headline at all.

dangbaonguyen93

dangbaonguyen93

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
Tight OR aggressive?
Tight = low % of hands played
Loose = high % of hands played
Aggressive = often/more Bet/Raise/Reraise
Passive = often/more Call
There is no decision between tight and aggressive to be made.
And tbh: I don´t understand the post under your headline at all.

Then when the blinds are high, should you play tight or aggressive?​

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
OR?
You should play your stack, your position, your opponent and use ICM.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
If your opponents fold their blinds too much and are too tight you should be more aggressive and looser in and attack them but tighter when they choose to raise since they have a good hand/range when they take action.

In general, you have to play looser and be more aggressive - especially if you are first to act - when the blinds or antes go up since you don't have time to wait for premiums.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the table, depends on what YOU want.

Sometimes folks are tight, sometimes they're donkey. Depends on the table makeup.

But more aggression = more variance = more risk. If you want that then go for it.

If you can outlast the folks in a tourn for a certain amount of time and don't care where you place and you're happy with it then go for it! lol,

Its all up to you and what you want to do and go on your poker journey.

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Problem with playing with quick blind increases is it takes away a lot of your skill advantage. It basically becomes mostly a preflop game which you can still have an advantage but your opponents will always have some equity when chips get in the middle, I play tight and try to play only good hands aggressively.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what is the average stack and your stack, the number of blinds determines the strategy and your range of calling or raising or pushing, but in any case, a more aggressive game should be more profitable

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It depends on many factors, but the most important thing for me is which bank and what I expect in this MTT. If the stack is large, then sometimes I go into a tight game, but with a small stack I try to spin the pot if intermediate goals are met, for example ITM. Yes, I always set intermediate goals for myself).

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When the blinds are high, I play tight and wait for the opportunity to push all in to double up.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends of your bankroll size, the stage of the tournament and your read of your opponents. If you have a big bankroll and close to the bubble, I always play aggressively. If I'm short stack in that same situation, I usually play tight, I usually wait for a good/premium hand and go all in.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if you play too tight then no one will pay you knowing that you are playing tight so you have to play tight aggressively then you will receive more payments from your opponents than wait for a strong card and no one will pay you and then wait for a strong card, and so you will lose over time

seiya1989

seiya1989

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It depends on the size of your chip stack

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Then when the blinds are high, should you play tight or aggressive?​

You should not play either/or. You should play even tighter and even more aggressive when you do play. For example. If you are a short stack, you should ideally wait for better cards or a better position, But when you do, you want to be shoving all in, rather than min raising.

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it would be good to use all types while playing, depending on the situation; an aggressive style of play alone won't get you far; other players will quickly understand this and block your raises with pushes.

Makarius

Makarius

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
you have to combine these two playing styles, as there are different situations and opponents

jproy444

jproy444

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I play tight at the beginning to feel the table. Loose near the bubble with a deep stack. A mix of both later in the tournament.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the size of my stack. I play very tight with a small stack and do anything when I get a good card. When the stack is large, I try to press players with small and medium stacks.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Play more hands when you have bigger stack , especially when blinds are very low . Some suited cards , Ace rags in position , low pocket pairs in position for set mines , etc .