What’s the strategy for tournament?

R

Rangoku2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
FR
Chips
Hi everybody, I played only in cash games, now I want to try myself in poker tournaments, so what should be basic advises for starting to play in tournaments?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Largest difference in my opinion between the two will be the stack depths you play. In cash games you arent probably playing in any hand with less than 100 BBs or you would be at least close to that. Tournaments will be mostly short stacked play even if you go deep. So know the adjustments to make playing shirt stacked. You will need to know push/fold with 15 BBs or so and less. You will need to be able to recognize re-jam opportunities over loose openers when you are 22 BBs ish (thats a debatable size but in that region) and lower. You will also need to adjust to post flop play when smaller stacked and your opponents are smaller stacked. You nor they should be folding as much post flop when shorter stacked so you adjust to the fact that you can and will go broke with one pair hands but its because you started the hand with 20 BBs or so and the SPR is 3 on the flop or whatever low number it is. Same for your villains, they should be calling off post flop lighter when short stacked (so dont bluff them at these small depths).

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would recommend you to start with regular tournaments, i.e. not hyper or turbo. Be patient, carefully follow the game of your opponents, and take your time, think carefully about each of your decisions.

almir nicolau

almir nicolau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Study first, put your full focus on:
-Position at the table.
-RF(open rease preflop), select the hands you play in each position and how the rangens behave in certain.
-Size bet of open rease
-Tournament phases (beginning, middle and end)
-Study how to behave with each stack range
Practically put all your energy into the open rease preflop, because if you open your hands correctly your profitability will be greater than your opponents and your post flop life will be much easier.

Tip: focus your study time on preflop, there are many free solvers just register and use it ex ODIM(free) it gives you preflop situations study a lot and glglgl.

R

Rangoku2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
FR
Chips
Largest difference in my opinion between the two will be the stack depths you play. In cash games you arent probably playing in any hand with less than 100 BBs or you would be at least close to that. Tournaments will be mostly short stacked play even if you go deep. So know the adjustments to make playing shirt stacked. You will need to know push/fold with 15 BBs or so and less. You will need to be able to recognize re-jam opportunities over loose openers when you are 22 BBs ish (thats a debatable size but in that region) and lower. You will also need to adjust to post flop play when smaller stacked and your opponents are smaller stacked. You nor they should be folding as much post flop when shorter stacked so you adjust to the fact that you can and will go broke with one pair hands but its because you started the hand with 20 BBs or so and the SPR is 3 on the flop or whatever low number it is. Same for your villains, they should be calling off post flop lighter when short stacked (so dont bluff them at these small depths).
Thanks a lot!

franciscomos

franciscomos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My advice for a tournament is to be patient very very patient and also pay attention of how many are still playing at the tournament, soy based on that and the amount of cheeps you have to change your strategy being more patient or taking small risks

T

tiptools

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
at the beginning of the tournament I risk and bluff more in order to build a big stack

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Patcience, don't go crazy on low blinds ... let it go. And also poker is a marathon not a race!

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Patience and watch position

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't see much difference, live you look at your opponents trying to detect some reaction, you try to hide your emotions, in my analysis, online, you have to study your opponents, write down as much information as possible, especially if you play regularly with them , be calm, patient, skillful and rely on luck

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello you can apply what you learned in regular tournaments in the MTT they are more relaxed and you can better apply a strategy because in the MTT the price is played in a way and as you go it changes. I recommend you, sir you just start playing the CC freerolls they will help you a lot. Good luck

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
first study because I think the difference between cash and tournaments is a lot, playing free tournaments is not that it can help you much but it can give you a little confidence, it can help you read players, then when you feel confident play tournaments micro, sng micro, I think that can help you

Jamil

Jamil

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
If you want to play tournaments, you must be patient and not get bored, and you must have free time suitable for that tournament

kosha_

kosha_

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Considering the strategy of the game, it is important to consider all stages of the tournament: initial (early), late and final. If you plan to win, it is important not to relax.

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
tournaments with a large prize fund are very valuable and the strategy of the game must be planned before the tournament, it requires time, calmness, patience, not to make gross mistakes while playing the tournament

CNXRegie

CNXRegie

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
I would likely adopt a strategy heavily focused on tight-aggressive play. This means I'd be selective, playing only strong hands, and then getting aggressive when I had them. Being willing to raise and re-raise when holding a premium hand is crucial. However, it's worth noting that this can be easier said than done, especially when emotions come into play.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Main, don't fly out from tournament in first hand, further try to keep average stack in the tournament, and most of main,
to try don't fly out from tournament on bubble! It's very sick! And after hit in prize zone, to play will more comfortable and easier!

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi everybody, I played only in cash games, now I want to try myself in poker tournaments, so what should be basic advises for starting to play in tournaments?
Cash games and tournaments are very different. Cash games are more difficult in my opinion. If you are just starting to play in tournaments, then you should understand that the average duration of a regular tournament is 3-5 hours and you need to be ready for that. Set yourself a goal to start with, just get to the prize zone, take your time and play patiently.

O

OstroLB

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
my strategy for a poker tournament first is to concentrate and be calm for the game and in the second strategy is to first reach the prize to be able to play calmer

bullkk

bullkk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The strategies in this case depend on the tournaments, each has its own.

nakiesQUensyyy

nakiesQUensyyy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Start to play tighter and build a stack, then play in ranges from your stack.