What's His Range?

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like so many thing in this game, there is no right answer. In fact there the term “entertainment value” is well-known and was coined by a very good, very skilled professional poker player by the name of Scot Fishman; maybe you’ve heard of him? I can certainly see your side of this one and don’t discount it, in the interest of FE maybe he’ll just fold but there is equal value to the opposing very point as well.

In a game of skill there is always a right answer.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a lot of tournaments with Scott Fischman. Remember when The Crew was going to take over the poker world? I think he's fat and busto now.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree, but there is a line unless you just don’t care about money.

What point is it for me to fly to Vegas, check into the hotel, spend $10K on the WSOP main event and be the first player knocked out because I had a big draw? I have a big enough stack to give myself a better chance than that!

As someone has already said, if you are bankrolled for z-tournament, then they will play each and every tournament in the same exact manner like the ME in las vegas.

Check out a top pro, who has made a fair bit of money in pokers. It's not that they don't "care" about the money, it's that they know what is a profitable shove/call of a shove in a tournament, even if it means there tournament life is on the line or not.

If they have more equity than the other player (or are very sure they do) they will call of their stack every time regardless of the buy-in if it's 1k or 100k buy-in and this isn't because they don't "care" about the money, it's simply because they know the best EV move.

They won't and shoulden't fold and wait for a better spot, IE: picking up Aces

because, they have already lost value in a previous hand which they should of played.

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a game of skill there is always a right answer.
Bullshit...I'm a Network Engineer, a very skillful trade, and there are constant and often conflicting opinions - poker is no different and you f-ing idiot if you think otherwise.

Stu Ungar could beat you me and everyone else in this discussion board without knowing what FE, +EV, or an M value is? The skillful can take a given situation and extract the correct answer every time - you can't possibly tell me what that answer is in this discussion board - who do you think you are?

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bullshit...I'm a Network Engineer, a very skillful trade, and there are constant and often conflicting opinions - poker is no different and you f-ing idiot if you think otherwise.

Stu Ungar could beat you me and everyone else in this discussion board without knowing what FE, +EV, or an M value is? The skillful can take a given situation and extract the correct answer every time - you can't possibly tell me what that answer is in this discussion board - who do you think you are?

Why don't you just go and join 2p2 or something and spout your bullshit over on that forum. It's getting a bit boring when every thread you makes winds up with you just throwing insults about.

Your network engineer example didn't prove that there was no right answer sometimes. Physics has many differnet, conflicting views with regards to the theory of everything but at the end of the day one of those views is right and the rest are wrong. Just because there happens to be alot of conflicting views doesn't mean there isn't one that is 100% right.

Stu Ungar may not have known the terms FE, M or +ev was but he certainly understood them even if he didn't know the word.

If you don't want to accept the help and answers people are giving you on this forum then I don't really understand why you want to post.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

First of, You're not a network Engineer. I'm unsure of why you have to lie.:eek:

Secondly, even if you was what on earth does a netwok engineer have to do in terms of skill and skill in a card game? This is a game of poker, not a trade..

Advice to you, is take the advice you're being given and accept it as correct or just continue to play your game and say how it's all bullshit, more money for everyone else then.

Clearly someone doesn't want the help, you should just continue donating to everyone else.

On another note, if someone can't tell you the answer in this discussion board, then why on earth are you posting?? How idiotic is that what you just said?

"I'm going to post something and ask a question(s) but don't won't actually accept any of the answers" < < That's very intelligent lol.

Did you think your play was good or something and wanted someone to acknowledge it as good play but actually have now been told it's the incorrect play and now your flaming?

Last edited:
B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At 2+2 he'll get have his threads locked and probably be banned after the second thread like this he makes.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably whats happened and thats why he has decided to post on this board instead.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The question that comes to my mind is whether the best strategy on a given hand is always best in the larger context of a player's tournament strategy. When and where does looking for better spots factor in? And how about the player's style; e.g. a smallballer vs a big pot lover?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The question that comes to my mind is whether the best strategy on a given hand is always best in the larger context of a player's tournament strategy. When and where does looking for better spots factor in? And how about the player's style; e.g. a smallballer vs a big pot lover?

..hmf..

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You mean could I have a meaningful discussion without understanding either the theory or the terminology of what it is that I was discussing? ... Probably not, but it doesn't seem deter others.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Stick to you day job!

It must be nice to be in a profession where all opinions are equally valid and all lead to the same outcome.

I will email Sklansky later on today, the fundamental theory of poker, .. its wrong.

Last edited:
S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What are you guys talking about…I said I understood the C/R – can none of you read? I was just pointing out that there are those, on the other side, who have credible rationalizations as well. It was then that I got told how there is always a right answer and there are never 2 opinions, and I am just a fish compared to that poster.

How was I suppose to react to that; constructively?

What I’ve learned in this DB is that I can learn nothing from certain posters that I can’t read in a book. I’m sick of getting insulted by people that insist they are right – is everyone on this DB 22 years old and mad at their father?

I’m done – theirs is nothing constructive that can come from this DB…bye!

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What are you guys talking about…I said I understood the C/R – can none of you read? I was just pointing out that there are those, on the other side, who have credible rationalizations as well.

Whom would that be?

-

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good call. Couldn't come up with anything other that douche bag for some strange reason. ;)

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

But in poker every single decision point has a best possible choice. Some of them are clear and some of them are less so. But even the ones that are not clear are often stark once you understand the logic behind them.

I like to think of the example of the beginner (or just poor) player who finds himself in the unfortunate position of being down to 2 big blinds and in the BB on the next hand during a tournament. They are dealt 94o and fold. If challenged they would respond (often incredulously) "I can't play trash like that... If I cant get a good hand next I have 1 orbit to pick my spot!". I am sure you realize why this is the wrong decision. It's simple math. But they do not. If you try to point out the flaw in their logic (which is -EV but nice if you are their friend) they can even get mad, or call YOU the idiot. Like you just did.

It is rare when poker decisions are so inscrutable that the BEST play cannot be found upon analysis. It might be hard to do in the moment. And this takes practice.

That is what we are here for.

What I’ve learned in this DB is that I can learn nothing from certain posters that I can’t read in a book. I’m sick of getting insulted by people that insist they are right – is everyone on this DB 22 years old and mad at their father?

I’m done – theirs is nothing constructive that can come from this DB…bye!

This is a worse mistake than anything I've seen you post so far.

You are unteachable, insecure in your own position, and likely have tilt control issues. You have on multiple occasions rejected analysis from seasoned, successful players. You are not sure enough of your own skill (which is a GOOD thing) to stand up to criticism, yet you become so defensive you are unable to hear something constructive when it is spelled out plainly to you. You let your emotional reaction blind you from learning.

I understand that the tone in forms like this can be a little aggressive. But let's examine that.

First, this is the internet, not church.

Secondly, the people here are under no obligation to help you or me or anyone. It doesn't benefit them to make weaker players stronger. They do it for whatever reason they do it for, be it to learn more themselves as they think about the game, or simple pride. And yes some folks might just like to needle people who are saying dumb things. But if you are going to swim with sharks prepare to be nibbled at if you smell fishy.

I have made the same mistake you made. For me the best solution was just to shut up and stop embarrassing myself. I have learned a lot over the years about this game. Part of that learning has come from reading opinions on this site.

Sure you don't need this "DB", but it's free, vibrant, up to date, interesting, and has loads of really decent players helping those who are less skillful for nothing other than whatever perverse pleasure it gives them.

Also... this might surprise you... CardsChat is by FAAAAAR the least rude poker forum on the internet. Many of the posters who have been helping you are proven long term winners who understand the game better than you do. I don't say that to insult you. I say that because I can see clearly and it's true.

I'd tuck your tail and hang around if I were you.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good advice cAPS but if he takes it, it would be the first time.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lessons learned in poker can/should be harsh. This is real money, and OP is not playing microstakes either.

FWIW, c/c premium draws vs. what is described as a good, aggro player is unlikely to be profitable and highly unlikely to be optimal.