What is your biggest weakness?

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest weakness is that I am human and a bankroll nit that hates losing money,:eek:
If I have thousands available to play poker can happily leave it off the poker sites and play freerolls all week long which is very limiting.
Maybe in July will risk a serious wad for a biscuit or maybe not.:confused:

alexand8r

alexand8r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way to improvement is the ability to recognize your own weaknesses, and work on them!

This is true in poker and in life.

So...let this thread be a way for you to focus your attention on your biggest weakness (right now) in your poker game. It could be a technical aspect of the game, or a struggle with balancing time/other commitments. Lets have an open discussion on our weaknesses. :)

Right now, I'd say my biggest weakness is playing a 15-20BB stack, mid to late in the MTT. I either play too tight, and allow myself to fold down to ~10BB where I feel more comfortable, or I play too aggressive and give away 5-10BB with weird steal attempts. This is the area of my game that I'd really like to focus on and improve.

How about you?
Oh, I have similar too. I think problem is that after good positions of previous tournaments we think in area previous tournaments. But now there are new players with us. Think about it when you want raise bet without knowledges about players and their tactics.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my biggest weakness is winner tilt, Whenever I'm playing really well in a tournament and get close to the money i always get anxious, and nervous and start making really bad decisions.

I need to focus on sit and goes, and or micro cash!

Kertooie,

Perhaps a smaller buy-in could help you confront your "winners anxiety." You are experiencing a very common emotion of not wanting to lose when you are so close to the money. It's very hard to describe how you should be feeling, but it's essentially a balance between understanding which risks to take (and not take) because of the proximity of the bubble, but not completely compromising your game just to do anything to cash. I hope that makes sense, you'll figure it out with more experience. I think keeping the buy-ins small while you work through the nervousness, you will help keep that anxiety at a manageable level.

You'll get there! :)

My biggest weakness (no matter how paradoxical it sounds) This is a game against weak players! Playing against them, I believe that I should win every hand and when this does not happen (which is completely natural) I very quickly fall into tilt!

Vittopio,

You have a common weakness with others above. :) This is good, because you can learn from others. Weak opponents are only an advantage, they don't guarantee anything. You are better when you are patient, pick your spots wisely, and keep the mindset of limiting your risk. If those players are really weak, you won't have to take 50/50 or even 60/40 flips against them. You can afford to give them all the thin spots, because you know you will completely hammer them once you have the right set up. :)

Probably thinking too much about my own hand and not enough about my opponents hand(s).

Wale (pronounced WAH-LAY), :)

This is a super common (mostly live instead of online) beginners weakness. You will progress through this with experience. Once you determine a standard for the types of hands you play and how you choose to play them, you can introduce the dynamic of your opponents holdings. This topic of "reading your opponent" has evolved so much in the last 15 years, that we could discourse on it for hours. So for now, just be ok with the fact that you aren't thinking about your opponents possible holdings right now. You can actually get by quite well (in the micros) simply playing your own hands well. :) You'll progress with experience.

My biggest weakness is post flop play.

I should play more cash games and study Harrington on Cash Game but I had no time so far.

At least I beat Zoom NL2 on Stars lol.

Daniel,

Post flop play is an art. It's constantly changing, and is very dependent on the table dynamic. If I could summarize it in a few words I would say: Predict what your opponent would do if she were strong, weak, marginally strong, etc. Come to a conclusion on what seems likely, given the pre-flop action and hand histories with the player. When multiple possibilities exist, but then would have the same action (i.e. my opponent either missed their draw or they have worse than top pair, either way they won't call a big bet so I'm going to either bet small or check to induce a bluff/stab) you have a clear decision. My philosophy on post flop play is to get as much information regarding my players hand with the minimum amount of chips at risk. This can also be discussed at great length, but I think my summary is enough to spark your thoughts.

Reading some books is always a good idea, but what is more important is to think about what you read on your own time. I like the shower for such occasions. I philosophize daily in the shower. :)

"I think you would benefit from a larger scope, or a broader view of the tournament structure and develop a strategy that ensures you are lasting as long as possible in the majority of your games. For some, this could be risk management (i.e. avoiding large pots where you only perceive a small edge, pressuring mid stacks instead of short stacks and chip leaders, etc.), and for others it could be simply folding more hands preflop.

I challenge you to think this one through and see how you can get "deeper" in your games."

This is good advice. The best thread for a long time.
I suffer from loss of concentration at the mid-point usually when I have built a stack. Do you have any more ideas. What else was contained in your etc?
My other huge weakness is curiosity. I see I have a playable hand and in my excitement I forget to put my opponent on a range of hands, and only bet what I'm seeing in front of me.
Then even worse is that if I know I'm probably behind, I can't find the correct play and fold.
Folding correctly actually works two ways. It saves you chips to make the right play with later, and it denies your opponent chips.
I used to believe people bluff a lot. I'm trying to focus on this thought. Most times the big bets go in, the Villain(s) will have us beaten
I will try and apply those ideas you have given.

Okee,

Thank you! This thread has quickly turned into something I look forward to daily. I'm certainly not claiming to know it all, it's actually the opposite. All I know is what I don't know. :)

My etc. could also contain, "finding ways to steal differently/more cheaply such as limping in the SB when its B vs B, and just min betting the flop (you only risk 2BB to steal but this method is shockingly effective), attempting some super tiny steal attempts post flop in multi-way pots, stop trying to win every pot, knowing when to just simply give up on a hand, playing the math more." The math point is in line with the broader scope concept. Seriously, once I decided to stop trying to win every tournament, I started winning more tournaments. :)

Curiosity, yes this one has cost me plenty of chips/potential money. Are you referring to a thought that goes like this, "Well I'm pretty sure he just 1/2 potted the river because he has two pair or hit that straight. Meh, whatever, I'll call with second pair."

I've had to make this big adjustment to my game, because I had the paradox of thinking I was good and I would pay these people off. There is a weird thing our brain does during poker. Our brain will almost always jump to the "I'm being tricked" line of thinking, when you are facing a big bet. If you are not cognizant of this simple neurological fact, then you can almost always easily justify a reason to call. It's simple, we don't want to be bluffed or tricked.

Don't be too curious! Of course you are going to call here and there, but when it's an important spot make the right decision. Sure, you are opening up the door to being bluffed more often, but this doesn't really matter as much as you would think. You have now conserved more chips for a future spot where you can get it in better, or at least more confidently. I hate "guessing" if my opponent is bluffing or not for my tournament life. That's a crappy spot.

The other concept to acknowledge and remember is that your big pair pre-flop is only best then. Post-flop is a different scenario where the number of players seeing the flop and the wetness of the board can changes everything. Again you must range your opponents and know their type of reaction.
An LAG may bluff a wet flop, but a tight player has nearly always connected if he is making serious bets

Okee,

I had a response further up this thread regarding premium hands. I'm not sure if you saw it, but you pretty much are in line with my way of thinking on this. Big pairs/premium hands are a slight advantage for one hand. Just play it well, and don't automatically assume it has to be a big pot. :)

I tend to over value my hand when multiple players are in the pot. I limp too often early in the tournament. I don't have the patience when the cards aren't coming, and I start trying to steal blinds with trash. I always open suited A rag, even UTG (knowing it isn't going to win). Too often I call oversized river bets when I know I am beat. I fold to min bets when I should stay one more street.

These might not be my biggest flaws, but they are the ones I'm working on this week.

Hang Dude,

Proper preflop hand selection is a solid foundation to build on. In art or music, one must know the rules before one can break the rules. Try applying this wisdom to poker. :)

My biggest weakness is that I am human and a bankroll nit that hates losing money,:eek:
If I have thousands available to play poker can happily leave it off the poker sites and play freerolls all week long which is very limiting.
Maybe in July will risk a serious wad for a biscuit or maybe not.:confused:

Hugh,

I have (and often still do) suffered from this same weakness. For me, I would always compare my current BR to the most recent high point. So, I became obsessed with always having my BR at the highest level it's ever been (talk about a recipe for disappointment!). My solution, to stop adding up my account balances on all three sites after every session! I know where I'm at right now, but I'm not so obsessed with keeping it above $1,600 or $1,500 or $1,000 or any other arbitrary number. This (like most other weaknesses) is simply a product of the mind placing importance on an abstract idea which truly has no meaning. So, you don't want to lose money playing poker? Good! Figure out a low variance style of play which provides constant feedback to ensure you playing correctly. I did this for myself with a unique style of MTT play. I mostly play buy-ins that I have well over a few hundred buy ins for, so the losses are insignificant. I do not believe that in poker you need to risk a lot to win a lot. It can be done differently than that. :)

Oh, I have similar too. I think problem is that after good positions of previous tournaments we think in area previous tournaments. But now there are new players with us. Think about it when you want raise bet without knowledges about players and their tactics.

Alex,

Ego is the enemy. Sometimes a good ole' fashioned beatdown is just what the consciousness needs to remain balanced. :)

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my biggest weakness is bank control.
I need to improve urgently.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight

I think my biggest weakness is playing to tight.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
my biggest weakness is that when i get involved in tournaments over the limits of tournaments above my bankroll and end up losing everything, it makes me angrier.

Tomacco

Tomacco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way to improvement is the ability to recognize your own weaknesses, and work on them!

So...let this thread be a way for you to focus your attention on your biggest weakness (right now) in your poker game. It could be a technical aspect of the game, or a struggle with balancing time/other commitments. Lets have an open discussion on our weaknesses. :)

Right now, I'd say my biggest weakness is playing a 15-20BB stack, mid to late in the MTT. I either play too tight, and allow myself to fold down to ~10BB where I feel more comfortable, or I play too aggressive and give away 5-10BB with weird steal attempts. This is the area of my game that I'd really like to focus on and improve.

How about you?

My weaknees is when a have 10 10, JJ, QQ or KK in preflop and the cheapleader goes all in..

I can't fold but most of the time, one A in flop makes me go home :vollkomme

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my biggest weakness is bank control.
I need to improve urgently.

Airles,

Yes, this is critical. Poker is an emotional game, without BRM it is very likely you will blow your money when you are upset. Also, you just need the cushion for the inevitable run bad. Only play games you are rolled for. Try it for a day and see if you can make it a good habit. :)

I think my biggest weakness is playing to tight.

Shrops,

Then loosen up! Play some freerolls or cheap MTTs and just try to play tons of small pots. This overexposure can help you find the balance between aggression and passiveness that best suits your game and can evolve to the table/tournament dynamics.

my biggest weakness is that when i get involved in tournaments over the limits of tournaments above my bankroll and end up losing everything, it makes me angrier.

Luan,

BRM, see above. :)

Also, you knew the risks when you signed up for the tournament, so getting angry over something you knew could happen is kind of a silly response. If you really didn't want to lose $50 or whatever the buy in was, you probably shouldn't have registered for that game. :)

My weaknees is when a have 10 10, JJ, QQ or KK in preflop and the cheapleader goes all in..

I can't fold but most of the time, one A in flop makes me go home :vollkomme

Tomacco (nice name!),

I don't think being coolered out of a tournament is a weakness, but it does SUCK!

Yeah, just look back at those hands and think them through now, while your emotions are settled and you are at your most rational self. Check them out for any areas where you might have missed something (i.e. was it extremely likely that my opponent had a higher pair and was this an unnecessary load of risk given the dynamic of the table/tournament). There are certainly spots where I will fold 10 10, JJ, and QQ pre flop in an MTT (not very often). It's extremely rare and would be an outlier situation where I'm folding KK.

So...cheer up. You'll go deep in the next one! :)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My newest biggest weakness:

Playing too much!

Poker (for me) is best when it is a hobby I do for fun and for the mental challenge of the game. I do not aspire to "grind" online. I do not have any financial goals or requirements. Poker is best played as a game. A game is challenging, fun and enjoyable. I need to make sure I keep poker in my mind as a game, not a means to make money.

:)

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Airles,

Yes, this is critical. Poker is an emotional game, without BRM it is very likely you will blow your money when you are upset. Also, you just need the cushion for the inevitable run bad. Only play games you are rolled for. Try it for a day and see if you can make it a good habit. :)

Shrops,

Then loosen up! Play some freerolls or cheap MTTs and just try to play tons of small pots. This overexposure can help you find the balance between aggression and passiveness that best suits your game and can evolve to the table/tournament dynamics.

Luan,

Also, you knew the risks when you signed up for the tournament, so getting angry over something you knew could happen is kind of a silly response. If you really didn't want to lose $50 or whatever the buy in was, you probably shouldn't have registered for that game. :)

Tomacco (nice name!),

I don't think being coolered out of a tournament is a weakness, but it does SUCK!

Yeah, just look back at those hands and think them through now, while your emotions are settled and you are at your most rational self. Check them out for any areas where you might have missed something (i.e. was it extremely likely that my opponent had a higher pair and was this an unnecessary load of risk given the dynamic of the table/tournament). There are certainly spots where I will fold 10 10, JJ, and QQ pre flop in an MTT (not very often). It's extremely rare and would be an outlier situation where I'm folding KK.

my biggest weakness and wanting to be rich in seconds kkk

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my biggest weakness and wanting to be rich in seconds kkk

Luan,

I don't think poker is a way to get rich in seconds. I would ask yourself, "Why do you want to be rich?" :)

Maybe you already are. :)

Tomacco

Tomacco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Airles,

Shrops,

Luan,

Tomacco (nice name!),

Thanks jordan, beautiful words!

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my biggest weaknesses:
when I think I have the best hand, and I raise and the bad guy follows me, I don't try to analyze his hand and I don't look at the edge,
when I raise with AKs and the flop gives 257 for example, I bet, the bad guy follows me and I can't stop
I lack the courage to follow postflop with a good hand, and when the bad guy goes allin I fold and groan when I realize that I had the best hand, for example yesterday I had JKo, flop j105, the bad guy did allin with j10 and I fold and the river gave K, grrrrr

S

stephan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

How about you?

I would say my weakness in poker is that when I am running bad and on tilt, I find it hard to take a break and realize that I should play the next day and let that day go.

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest weakness is becoming pot committed and calling when the pot gets too big. As such, I'm working on folding on later streets in tournaments even when a lot of my stack goes into the pot.

I'm also trying to lower the number of times I call raises on the river and turn.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would say my weakness in poker is that when I am running bad and on tilt, I find it hard to take a break and realize that I should play the next day and let that day go.
I have switched my thinking on bad beats. As long as I got my money in good, I can't be upset. I know the luck will come around sometime when I need it. Each bad beat is just addition saved karma.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing too many hands that are not good starting hands. Should really look into changing to a tighter image, but I like to see flops too much when it is cheap enough.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my biggest weaknesses:
when I think I have the best hand, and I raise and the bad guy follows me, I don't try to analyze his hand and I don't look at the edge,
when I raise with AKs and the flop gives 257 for example, I bet, the bad guy follows me and I can't stop
I lack the courage to follow postflop with a good hand, and when the bad guy goes allin I fold and groan when I realize that I had the best hand, for example yesterday I had JKo, flop j105, the bad guy did allin with j10 and I fold and the river gave K, grrrrr

Najjah,

Review the discussion above on overvaluing premium hands, and on post flop play. :)

Stephan,

This is why poker is such a mental game. Master this weakness, and you will improve your game dramatically. This is more important than any technical aspect of the game. :)

My biggest weakness is becoming pot committed and calling when the pot gets too big. As such, I'm working on folding on later streets in tournaments even when a lot of my stack goes into the pot.

I'm also trying to lower the number of times I call raises on the river and turn.

Nate,

Perhaps the solution isn't folding more turns/rivers, but preventing the pot from bloating up too much where you feel like you have to call later streets. :)

I have switched my thinking on bad beats. As long as I got my money in good, I can't be upset. I know the luck will come around sometime when I need it. Each bad beat is just addition saved karma.

Hang Dude,

That's a good way to look at it. Sometimes karma forgets about the credit balance we have built up, so don't take it personally if you always feel like you are owed something. :)

Playing too many hands that are not good starting hands. Should really look into changing to a tighter image, but I like to see flops too much when it is cheap enough.

Noona,

You can't go wrong with a solid tight approach to MTTs. A simple game will get you surprisingly far. :)

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
According to my dad who was the one who taught me to play poker, my temperament, I always pay attention to that aggressive player who takes advantage of his stack and is provoking everyone at the table, so I make the mistake that the cloudiness My judgment and I play badly, almost always when I do this I don't advance in tournaments, but when I manage to control this irrational anger, I play for the best and even have fun playing poker haha ​​lol :D

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
According to my dad who was the one who taught me to play poker, my temperament, I always pay attention to that aggressive player who takes advantage of his stack and is provoking everyone at the table, so I make the mistake that the cloudiness My judgment and I play badly, almost always when I do this I don't advance in tournaments, but when I manage to control this irrational anger, I play for the best and even have fun playing poker haha ​​lol :D

Aizen,

I'd recommend finding a good book (or two) On Anger. Most of my favorite philosophers have written at great lengths on the topic. :)

You'd be surprised how after reading about anger, you can pretty much eliminate it from your life. :)

I hope you can find the motivation to actually pick up a philosophy book on anger and read it. I really do. :)

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My only weakness

My only weakness is king, nine. When these are my whole cards I melt like butter. I know often when players have any pair in a low cost game they go all in, my self well king and nine I do the same. With me it is about 50-50 win loss ROI. So with that said thanks for your advice and I will work on my only weakness. Capo1014

J

Julez97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could probably give an entire laundry list, but lately I've found my biggest weakness to be over-bluffing against fish. For example, I will build a decent stack in a MTT and then I'll open a hand like AQo in MP and get called by the BTN. Flop comes K96r. I'll c-bet small, get called or raised. Turn 4. I'll double barrel. Get called. River. 2 that brings 3 to a flush, and I have the A blocker, I jam, and get called by KT and then have a short stack. I end up getting tilted and punt the tournament. I feel like I'm forcing the play too much, and it ends up burning me.

Also, a bonus point. I don't think I check-raise bluff enough. I pretty much always do it for value, so I really need to work in some bluffs to be more balanced.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have you heard the phrase "scared money don't make money"? That probably sums up my biggest weakness. Not wanting to lose money, thus making bad decisions just to avoid losing said money. It's a constant battle.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My newest biggest weakness:

Playing too much!

Poker (for me) is best when it is a hobby I do for fun and for the mental challenge of the game. I do not aspire to "grind" online. I do not have any financial goals or requirements. Poker is best played as a game. A game is challenging, fun and enjoyable. I need to make sure I keep poker in my mind as a game, not a means to make money.

:)

Why can't I listen to myself?

I played too much last night (I played 8-10 MTTs which is way more than normal) and lost all of my games (~$50).

Play less Jordan. Play less Jordan. :)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also, has anyone who posted about a weakness taken any time to think about it deeper yet?

I have. :)