What would you do?

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally, I wouldn't say that there's anything wrong with making a 5x call with A-Q. But you know the members here always like to say that it depends. In this case it depends on what type of player this guy is and what he's shown you so far. Has he been passive up to that point? I don't mean inactive. I mean limping, flat calling, hesitant to initiate any action. When that kind of player suddenly opens up for 5x, it could definitely indicate that he is very strong there.

You have some players who value their chips in relation to their stack size and not relative to the blinds. To me 5x is 5x when the blinds are 10/20 and it's 100 or when the blinds are 100/200 and it's 1000. But some players will raise to 5x when the blinds are 10/20, but will only raise to 2x with the same hand when the blinds are 100/200.

Then you have player that are just super aggressive, to the point of being overly aggressive. Being an aggressive player, I respect aggression. But some people get carried way with it. They don't know how to pick their spots. Instead they constantly try to run the table over. It works too, that is until someone looks them up. For example, I was in a game last week. It was still pretty early. I had open to 3x from MP with K-10 suited. The player behind me re-popped it up to 12x. After action folded back around to me, I folded and let him take it down. The next hand was folded around to him and he open raised to 7x. At that point I knew he was just a super aggressive player. A couple hands later I raised with A-Q and was again re-raised to close to 12x. I called and flopped top two pair. I bet and he called on the flop. I bet, he raised, and I called on the turn. I checked to him on the river, both hoping that he would bet for me and not wanting him to fold if I bet. Instead he checked behind me. I took the pot down with my two pair and won a decent pot. But almost as valuable was the information that I gained. Because the hand had gone to showdown everyone was able to look at the hand history and see that he had 3-bet me with A-7 off. From there it was just a matter of time, Either he was going to slow down or he was going to have a short tourney.

That's why I say calling 5x pre with A-Q is fine. But, with nothing invested in the pot yet, folding it and keeping an eye on this guy is an acceptable option, especially when one of those other players that sees his raise as only a small portion of their stack, instead of five times the blind, will probably make the call. All you have to do is pay attention.

Last edited:
shomy21

shomy21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call pre flop there or even all in when you are low stack. In this situation call is just fine.

V

vassiriki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early stages w/ room to play, this is almost always a call just to see a flop for me.

this. at early stages there's not so much meaning of being too tight. just call and see a flop. also, there's not any logic behind reraising it because we don't have any idea what he has and we don't know if he reraises if he's bluffing or actually having a hand.

AntonEast

AntonEast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's definitely a hard one, but I lean to at least call and see what he does after the flop comes. AQs is a very good hand but AQo is for me more likely a fold here, because we don't have a read on him. In my opinion the read on your opponents is one of the absolutely most important skills in poker and a skill you need to apply, so early in a tourney I play very tight so I don't make huge mistakes.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i prob would of pushed all-in as im a aggressive player,,,but that`s just me:cool:

ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if the chips allow it count. If not then fold.
Is there any information about the enemy?
And although only the beginning of the tournament... by far the fold.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good fold! No one be raise 5BB with a hand AJ, AT, A9 etc. It will be AQ+ or some pairs. Call gives you coin or domination.

Speedbruce

Speedbruce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally, I wouldn't say that there's anything wrong with making a 5x call with A-Q. But you know the members here always like to say that it depends. In this case it depends on what type of player this guy is and what he's shown you so far. Has he been passive up to that point? I don't mean inactive. I mean limping, flat calling, hesitant to initiate any action. When that kind of player suddenly opens up for 5x, it could definitely indicate that he is very strong there.

You have some players who value their chips in relation to their stack size and not relative to the blinds. To me 5x is 5x when the blinds are 10/20 and it's 100 or when the blinds are 100/200 and it's 1000. But some players will raise to 5x when the blinds are 10/20, but will only raise to 2x with the same hand when the blinds are 100/200.

Then you have player that are just super aggressive, to the point of being overly aggressive. Being an aggressive player, I respect aggression. But some people get carried way with it. They don't know how to pick their spots. Instead they constantly try to run the table over. It works too, that is until someone looks them up. For example, I was in a game last week. It was still pretty early. I had open to 3x from MP with K-10 suited. The player behind me re-popped it up to 12x. After action folded back around to me, I folded and let him take it down. The next hand was folded around to him and he open raised to 7x. At that point I knew he was just a super aggressive player. A couple hands later I raised with A-Q and was again re-raised to close to 12x. I called and flopped top two pair. I bet and he called on the flop. I bet, he raised, and I called on the turn. I checked to him on the river, both hoping that he would bet for me and not wanting him to fold if I bet. Instead he checked behind me. I took the pot down with my two pair and won a decent pot. But almost as valuable was the information that I gained. Because the hand had gone to showdown everyone was able to look at the hand history and see that he had 3-bet me with A-7 off. From there it was just a matter of time, Either he was going to slow down or he was going to have a short tourney.

That's why I say calling 5x pre with A-Q is fine. But, with nothing invested in the pot yet, folding it and keeping an eye on this guy is an acceptable option, especially when one of those other players that sees his raise as only a small portion of their stack, instead of five times the blind, will probably make the call. All you have to do is pay attention.

Very well pointed. It depends a lot on your villain.
But overall it's a call.
You have position, 5BB will wont mess up your torney.
Folding here is not criminal and is much better than raise, with a hand that flops so good like that you don't want him to shove back and you'll have to fold.

Ivab

Ivab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this situation, I definitely choose to fold. Raising the rates are very expensive for a 40bb stack. And this is a weak hand to risk at this stage.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly such a situation was.Have to fold,make a fold.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i prob would have called,but like you sais,,would of wiffed on the flop so i prob would have folded then. hard to fold a-q s at anytime,,,lol,,but i consider that a premiem hand ,so:)

ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good fold! No one be raise 5BB with a hand AJ, AT, A9 etc. It will be AQ+ or some pairs. Call gives you coin or domination.

not the fact!
Depends on whichever of the tournament. And then rearrange without problems...

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it was a freeroll that I would make a call to look at the flop. Then act on the circumstances. When money tournament would be thrown out.

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would've called and fold to a 3bet. too early. I'll probably still be waiting for my coffee lol

D

DrakeM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I would at least have called in your position. AQs definitely is a strong hand and by just calling a 5BB that early you wouldnt make a stand which u cant return from if its going bad.

DontAskWh

DontAskWh

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think i'll call on this situation , to see the flop , and then if I have nothing , i'll fold if he continue to bet.
And you can play this hand with a raise , but is depends of your oppenent, and if he gonna to re-raise or to push. I will fold AQ , because is a early stage.
Anyway think better ;) you have 40BB , and you're folding on a 5BB raise , since you feel that hes better than you , but you played wrong your hand AQ.
Thanks.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would have call. aq is a very strong preflop hand and with 40 bb you can fold after the flop if neither an ace or queen, or staight or flush draw comes on the board.