What level MTT Buyin to play REAL poker

S

SpookMBluffwell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree. It just boils down to who is going to get lucky with any given hand...no real skill just an all in fest. Gets kind of sickening.

S

SpookMBluffwell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's short-sighted to look only at the flips themselves. Where skill and knowledge come into play is having a stack where you can afford to take flips and in knowing when you should / have to take them vs. when it's in your better interest not to.

As for moving up to $5 games, it's not an all or nothing matter of move up or don't. For example, set aside your winnings at your usual $1 level until you have say $27.50. Then use that money to take a shot. See how you fare and gauge what you should work on so you can at least break even when you actually move up.

If you feel you're ready, then all you have to do is grind your current level until you have enough BR to play at the $5 level. If you're not ready to move up, then you'll probably learn that you're not without losing as much as you would have by simply moving up. And of course, you can work on your game and save enough to take another shot when you feel you've improved enough.

So basically sound advice is to move up in buy in levels when? After ZIm consistently winning 8 out of 10 tourneys at any given buy in or
???

S

SpookMBluffwell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What i mean is use the information you have available on them to determine how much of a maniac they are.

If you don't have a hud/tracker then I recommend getting one they are very useful.

Generally the range I posted is pretty much my standard calling range early when I know villian is a huge fish.

Also in micro tourneys you will find that a lot of fish will shove off there last ~20-30ish bb's if they lose most of their stack in the early levels.

Sometimes I like to pick these spots off in the right situation and isolate the tilted fish for the rest of his stack but you have to be aware of your position and who else is left to act.

As long as your calling range dominates the majority of their super wide shoving range then you will be fine.

What is a good HUD/Tracker? It seems like there are quite a few available but what one is the best?

T

turtelliusshellius

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, if you can't beat micros, you won't be able to beat the higher up games. The key to poker is being able to out think your opponent and micro players don't even think. If you move up to "thinking" levels and can't even beat the "no think" levels, then you are just going to wind up getting outplayed regularly and kill your value. Yes, in micro you have to play a little more conservatively post flop and you don't want to 3 or 4 bet as much preflop, but the opponents you run into will overplay their hands on a regular basis. You'll get them to 3 bet shove preflop with 50BB against your top 3 hands regularly. You'll get them to overplay top pair against your big hands. They'll call with mid level hands like two pair and sets when there are 4 straight and 4 flushes on the board. You just have to learn how to make a profit from each player. Track their play, take steady notes, and discover their leaks. Then once you've found the leaks, exploit them. A lot of people say "play to a specific level" or "play TAG nit." I disagree. Just PAY ATTENTION. If you see a guy 3 betting a lot preflop, he's probably doing it light and you can exploit this by 4 betting big with your big hands (which is extremely effective because these players hate being 4 bet and will call solely out of spite). Or you will see that guy who plays ATC and calls with any pair, exploit it when you hit by making him pay that "perfect" amount. Just pay attention. To me, micro is "real" poker. It's real with stupid players, which are the best to go up against. Once your BR is big enough to move up, then move up to the next level and continue to PAY ATTENTION. I hope this helps.

S

SpookMBluffwell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not sure I agree. It's definately easier to play against those who are serious about the game and people who have a $0.05 at stake as opposed to $100 at stake tend to play differently!

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not an all in fest until you go all in ;) XD LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So basically sound advice is to move up in buy in levels when? After ZIm consistently winning 8 out of 10 tourneys at any given buy in or
???
You can move up when (a) you've proven that you're a solid winner at your current level over a large enough sample to minimize the chance that you won because you ran good, and (b) you have sufficient BR for the higher level.

10 tournaments is nowhere near enough. Depending how statistically solid you want your sample to be, we're talking about at least a few hundred.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not sure I agree. It's definately easier to play against those who are serious about the game and people who have a $0.05 at stake as opposed to $100 at stake tend to play differently!
Have you ever played a $100 or higher buyin? You don't have to play many to know that they're in no way easier to play than micros.

Actually, just go watch one or two, preferably toward the end, and try to guess what the players' cards are on every hand. You'll soon see that the play is different from the micros, but that this doesn't mean the players are easier to read / more predictable. Also, you'll see that the play is more aggressive, which makes the opponents harder to play against because they will force you to make more marginal decisions, run you over if they see that they can, etc.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Study long - Study wrong is a saying I have heard forever. Usually first impression is best.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys, I am not complaining because I want easier more predictable villians. Obviously when you move up the competition gets harder.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dunno go play 200nl cash

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dunno go play 200nl cash

What it is that you don't know? Proper sentence structure?

You can keep your troll post to yourself, idiot.

Also, this is the tournament sub forum, so take your cash game talk elsewhere.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What level should I play at to play real poker and not shove all in with pocket 3's preflop poker? I have only played micro tournaments but I am thinking of moving up to $5 buy in? Would I notice a difference there or do people still not care if they lose?

There are heaps of situations where shoving 33 is the optimal play pre flop, I would suggest that you don't neccesarily know the proper strategy and are likely not as good as you think you are. If you move up in stakes the games will get tougher and you will lose a larger amount of money more quickly.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What it is that you don't know? Proper sentence structure?

You can keep your troll post to yourself, idiot.

Also, this is the tournament sub forum, so take your cash game talk elsewhere.

Didn't realise we had a grammar nazi in our midst. Apologies mighty one

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are heaps of situations where shoving 33 is the optimal play pre flop, I would suggest that you don't neccesarily know the proper strategy and are likely not as good as you think you are. If you move up in stakes the games will get tougher and you will lose a larger amount of money more quickly.

1. I don't think shoving with 33 would ever be an optimal play? Can you give me an example maybe?

2. I never claimed to be good and if I thought I was I would not be asking for advice like a noob.

3. Good point ;)

4. I am not really a grammar nazi, I just don't like being trolled.

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say avoid turbos.
For the most part theirs alot of post flop play after the initial donkfest boom or broke gamble in micro mtt's.

As you move up blinds/pots become easier to steal at the begginning of tournaments and towards the end it gets tough/aggro

almost the opposite of micro

T

The Nuder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Micros are still $5.00 games. Are you asking if you can't beat $1.00 games, can you beat $5? Then no you can't.

If your wanting to play games where people think more about hand ranges, play a much better solid poker game and not making terrible mistakes then you are looking at $100+ games.
In my experience there is quite a difference if you go up just a few $'s and it depends where you are playing and the tournament type. I used to play the 99c frenzy at 888 and it is a frenzy, there's plenty of people looking to ride their look and build a massive pot by consecutive all ins. But if you go up to a $5 MTT it's far less hectic. Go up to $10 and a noticeable difference again. Go up to c$25 and it's massively different.

I also don't agree that you must be able to win in the lower tournaments before moving up. I played a $75 freeroll at 888 today and came 25th out of 4000. With that many people it's not realistic to wait until I'm regularly winning to move up (if I wanted to).

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I also don't agree that you must be able to win in the lower tournaments before moving up. I played a $75 freeroll at 888 today and came 25th out of 4000. With that many people it's not realistic to wait until I'm regularly winning to move up (if I wanted to).

of course that you can't wait to be consistent winner at FR to move up to the buy in tourneys because first of all it is really rare case to be consistent winner at public freerolls...

but at buyin tournaments of course that you should move up in buyins as you Br gets bigger but strictly following BRM... you dont want to spend all you FR winning on one tourney and then back to the FR until you hit some money to work with...

Randall McMurphy

Randall McMurphy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. I don't think shoving with 33 would ever be an optimal play? Can you give me an example maybe?

If you are in the SB, M=5, it's folded around to you, jam away. I'm sure M could be higher depending on variables but that's one example.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you have 15bb on the button,
if someone opening wide with a tight calling range raises the co and you have 20bb in the BU/SB/BB

if you want to jam 10-20bb over a pile of limpets.

if you want to r/4bet shove over someone with a wide 3b/f range

O

OMGjustinBIEBS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heheh. When you get to the levels where you see name players, there no doubt it's real poker. However, as I'm sure you know, that's not the kind of real poker the OP is hoping to find. He wants predictable poker. Ironically, real poker at high levels is arguably just as unpredictable as it is at the lowest levels, although not in the same ways.

+1