What hands to play in Omaha?

k0k17

k0k17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey ! I recently started playing PLO8 Omaha and would like to know which hand to open with more often? As far as I understand, you need to play :ad4::ad4:-XX, I :10h4::9h4::qs4::ks4: like these hands to go straighter and preferably with suited. Advise people on how to play the hand and the beginner's mistake:):smile::rolleyes:

CowboyStomp

CowboyStomp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best hands to play in PLO8 are the ones which play high and low and are suited.

AA23 double suited is a great hand as is AA2K double suited

You want all four cards to work together for the best hands.

PLO8 is a game of having the nuts. Be careful of committing your stack if you don’t have them. Flopping the nuts doesn’t always mean a win because many hands do improve.

Big mistake that beginners make is to get “quartered”. That’s when you lose half the pot outright and spilt the other half. Be careful betting only the low pot.

Don’t be afraid to lay a hand down. bluffing is a part of PLO8 but the number of times people bluff with huge bets are small.

Low stakes PLO8 players treat the game like bingo. Play the good hands and bust them.

Navin Sarabjeet

Navin Sarabjeet

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
SR
Chips
Hey ! I recently started playing PLO8 Omaha and would like to know which hand to open with more often? As far as I understand, you need to play :ad4::ad4:-XX, I :10h4::9h4::qs4::ks4: like these hands to go straighter and preferably with suited. Advise people on how to play the hand and the beginner's mistake:):smile::rolleyes:

I've noticed you mentioned plo8, in that case 109kq double suited is a very weak hand to open in plo8.
Try to have at least an ace with a low card and two high cards for ex. a2kj double suited is a very strong hand to open with, because you can connect with either the low or the high cards.
In plo8 this is very important, because the person with the winning high hand wins 50% and the person with the winning low hand wins 50% and if you have them both then you can scoop the entire pot:)

So in short any suited ace with a low card and high cards are good opening cards.

Have fun:)

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hands like aa22 aa23, or aa24 double suited, or even one suited are very strong hands to raise preflop in 8 low omaha. also hands like aakk, akqj, or aaqq double suited or one suited are still strong hands even though they lose same value because you cant make a low hand with these cards. your hand for example is a reasonable hand to enter the pot however you shouldnt be raising with these hand since you dont have a nut flush draw or any ace so you can just limp and wait to see a cheap flop and fold/call if villain bets preflop.

CowboyStomp

CowboyStomp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This happened tonight Here is a great example of overplaying AA without other cards. I also quartered someone as well by flopping the stone nuts. The guy I busted always bets big with unconnected AA. I had one of the best starting hands here as well... ACR Replay

Last edited:
darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In Omaha you target full house, flush or straight.
Then the strong hands are with a pair ( that could also lead to four )
or with suited cards
or a sequence like 10,9,8,7
of course the higher rank the better.

In High-Low version valuable also are the cards that lead to the lowest nuts
A,2 or A,3 or similar combinations

It is worth remember that in Omaha the hand strength differences are lower that in Texas where AA gives you the big advantage, similar hand AAxx in Omaha is just a strong hand.

k0k17

k0k17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
такие руки, как aa22 aa23, или aa24 двухместные, или даже одномастные, являются очень сильными руками для рейза на префлопе в 8 лоу омахе. Кроме того, такие руки, как aakk, akqj или aaqq, двухмастные или одномастные, по-прежнему являются сильными руками, даже если они теряют такую ​​же ценность, потому что вы не можете собрать низкую руку с этими картами. ваша рука, например, является разумной рукой для входа в банк, однако вы не должны рейзить с этой рукой, поскольку у вас нет натсового флеш-дро или какого-либо туза, поэтому вы можете просто лимпить и дождаться дешевого флопа и сбросить / уравнять, если оппонент сделает ставку префлоп.

Thank you very useful information. Now I often open my hands type A2JK-KQ:)

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
A2KX, A3KX are good hands, those can help you get the low and the hi but you should not trust yourself, in this modality the variance is much greater than in holdem, so you must be careful and analyze very well what you do

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank you for posting.

So the first mistake we make is to think we open the same hands in every position vs every player type.

So AAxx in PLO the xx matters it is very important- in fact in PLO8 a good player will fold some of those AAxx hands preflop rather than open them in EP vs good villains.
Why fold in PLO8? If we make a set the V often has the draw to the low or a made low already- which means we can only win half the pot. If the flop came A25 we make a set but the V may already have a straight and a low which would mean we would have to put in most of our chips trying to hit a boat to win half.

Often when we open EP the hand goes multiway so only very specific flops are good for us to win the whole pot.

So again the xx matters AAT8 rainbow is a fold EP PLO8. AA77 single suited ace is a very weak hand from EP and can be folded vs good players. If we did open we would limp open thinking no one will raise behind us.

Hope this helps
:):)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands