What do you think of the "Small ball" strategy by Daniel Negreanu?

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well Daniel has definitely increased his chances by using the strategy. One can conclude that there is merit to the approach from his success. The strategy is meant to minimize your losses and get a lot of action at the table. You would still have to be selective with the hands chosen to play and let us not forget the importance of reading people. Daniel has a great nose for that.

My only problem with playing small ball is that the chances of getting out drawn is great since many do not fold to small bets. Every strategy has its upsides and downsides. Just have to learn the best spots to use them.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used small ball on some occasions and even got some early success. But after a while I started to consider it very risky as it is a strategy that can be broken easily with a re-raise if you do not know how to do it.
But Negreanu is the guy, he knows a lot

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't believe Daniel for a minute,,,, he lets everyone think he's playing "small ball" poker just so he gets paid-off at his table,,,, lol,,,, :rolleyes: (think about it) :rolleyes:
I don't believe anything the pro's say. In fact if they say 1 thing u should probably do the other. although if your deep stacked and catching a few hands and can win some at showdown. This can work very well and lead to many steals as well just have to know when your beat or maybe even fold just because you could be beaten. It really helps in online games where i'm catching on a lot of hands i wouldn't normally play and missing with the big guns.

Last edited:
JSeer

JSeer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Great as part of your game. Keep in mind, good opponents will adjust if they know you over use it.

Geyomobama

Geyomobama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never quite fully understood tbh...could someone explain to me what's the philosophy behind it.

Good Man

Good Man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never quite fully understood tbh...could someone explain to me what's the philosophy behind it.

The only problem with the Small Ball style is high volatility. The player watches a lot of flops and makes a lot of difficult decisions. You can save money in some hand, but you can also lose money due to the large number of hands being played.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

I can see it working 1 on 1, but in online tournament play, there are to many callers for it to work.