What do you do when card dead late in a tournament?

chisel

chisel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker about 6 months. And so I think that if you not have good hand for a long time you must w8 more. Because it must will be. OR you can try to bluff if no fear.

efgen

efgen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When your cards are bad, though, you have to know how to bluff. This strategy will pay off.

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
3bet when a player opens from late position (not used against tight players), when I am on the button or even the small or big blind. On the flop cbet almost always work.

Steal attempt, bet mini raise, if that doesn't work try 3x...

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Steal blinds and resteal opens when you can. Waiting for the best hand won't work often enough, that's a bonus on top of the the times you can win without the goods or consolation when you try to steal but fail. Find details about Annette Obrestad winning a 180 runner without looking at cards at all.

W

walid2578

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sit out for a period of 2 minutes

Stanislav

Stanislav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
twin

hello stil waiting for something maybe keep play allright raise whit some hands and bluff sometime if you wanna wait you will be destroed ;)

Bob McPherson

Bob McPherson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of great advice here . . .

I agree that it's important to look for opportunities to play, but at the same time, don't start lowering your hand standards vs position just out of boredom. I think it's a good test of discipline when the cards run cold for awhile. I guess patience is the keyword. Thanks again to everyone for all the advice.

Cheers . . .

H

Haanski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience is key. easier said than done but that makes a winning player

K

KGetsPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
waiting for position and having players min bet in is always a good way to bluff some chips out of someone.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with PapaC. Be patient. The hands will come.

ahil5000

ahil5000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is necessary to use the situation, especially if the opponents play poorly, with open positions within more hands if there are opponents style you often blinds, then protect them at a wider range of :)

Соглашусь, что лучше ждать хорошую руку. Блеф, не всегда хорошо заканчивается. Рано или поздно, из-за блефа можно попасть на деньги. А еще Скажу, что чаще выйгрывают средние руки, а не монстры.

Это англоязычный форум, так чего ты пишешь на русском языке?
In this site speak only in english ...

Last edited by a moderator:
K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess that the real question is what is a good hand? Maybe you are playing too tight. As you move closer to the blinds your hand value goes up. You should be trying to steal the blinds with hands like Ax, Kx, on the button.

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you haven't had any good cards in awhile and you haven't played any hands, your table image is now pretty tight. This is a good time to try a few bluffs, steal some blinds. Don't get carried away though, patience is still the key.

K

KGetsPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at some point you have to ship it. it takes a lot of patience to find yourself in the right position, but you can't wait for JJ-AA because it will likely never come. I would say use mid ranged hands and position to play into people. (I'm assuming you are talking about a tournament structure where the blinds are climbing and your stack is dwindling) I would say I start to get real trigger happy once I'm below 7-8BB.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first thing to consider is your table image. How has it been allowed to change? You should be in control of what you are doing throughout the game, and not relying on the cards to dictate to you. I have often heard it said that players who play the cards they are dealt, won't win anything. Just think about it. Do you know what hands are beating you in these 'card dead' moments? I guess the general answer is no! So, the other players don't know what you have (or don't have as the case may be). Don't focus on your cards, focus on your play and image.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I thing is more important Be patient and play good your good hands and you need study your oponents and realize bloff.

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually do something stupid and set myself back. One of my biggest faults at the table, is my lack of patience. I'm working on it! LOL

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually something stupid. I'm learning to have patience and wait, but it is my biggest challenge at the tables for sure.

rohankamble9

rohankamble9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there are few people and the players are loose and aggressive.. i go all in..in hope they will call and free chips to gain...other wise i slow play...overall depends on the opponents playing

3ccasd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Closer to the final table with the blinds begin to grow, and you need to safely bluff to take the blinds and antes

Mymull

Mymull

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mostly it depends of my mood and environment at this time. Usually I'm just waiting good moment for bluff or donk bet. Also I could play with my dog or send couple message to my friends.

Alkovalenko

Alkovalenko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

Most importantly patience and always come in good hand

ElUsuario

ElUsuario

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I bluff, but the most times I should have patience and wait a good hand

C

coachlary69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without any hands I'm looking for that one spot or two where I can still the blinds or put pressure on a middle stack. Otherwise, I'm just going to let my stack get blinded down. There's nothing wrong with that because you can't win them all.

K

kapos77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
wait for a good hand) or bluff against tight players, I see no other way out