What cards will you open with when in short stacks?

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You have less than 5BB, what will you do?
With 5bb, you can't wait long for a monster hand, you have to move, otherwise your fold equity is compromised, you could even think about holding if you were on the bubble, but even then if it was for a significant amount.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I will certainly play, depending on my pocket cards and table position. I wonder if you have any other options, or maybe I just misunderstood your question.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have less than 5BB, what will yof
Its not always about the cards but what the situation is. Think about it, you're playing a TOURNAMENT. Think about other variables, other than the cards and that will start you on the right path.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
With 5BB you will have to take risks with a fairly wide spectrum !!! For example, from a late position, if everything was thrown away before you, then almost any two cards are played !!!

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Having a short stack, the main rule is to play one-on-one, and of course with a card that allows more than one pair. In general, you can play with any card, this is poker actually!)

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If the blinds are big, I will have what I call "A short stack attack". All in with any 2 cards.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
with no much time left, any hand with Ace for preference

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
With 5 BB you don't have many options, play it all or wait for a good hand, even if you end up with less than 5 BB

vitas_top

vitas_top

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It all depends on the situation in each hand, but in general, these are pairs, any ace, and sublime connectors.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If there are left 5bb, there just a few things you can do. If there is the ability wait for a good couple of cards and go all in. If it works then repeat this dynamic and try to make a better bankroll, to reach the money.

MTT Database Review

MTT Database Review

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CZ
Chips
That question is way too broad. 5bb where? On UTG, on BTN, when nobody else opened or when there is already an open? Here are couple of random different spots where we have 5-6bb: (all of this are chipEV, it could look very differently on final tables)

Screenshot 1146

Attachments

• Screenshot_1147.png
    Screenshot_1147.png
    691.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_1148.png
    Screenshot_1148.png
    708.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_1149.png
    Screenshot_1149.png
    778.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_1150.png
    Screenshot_1150.png
    679.1 KB · Views: 0
kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
if I have less than 5bb and no pressure from the test side, I will open any Ax hand, any K suit, and any pocket pair, including KJ. CD

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think I would go all in with any "playable" hand. For example, any A, K, Q, J, pair, or connector. 5BB seems too extreme to me, I don't think you can afford to be picky.
Although I must say, assuming it's the typical tournament where blinds increase every few minutes, I would be thinking about doing this well before reaching the 5BB mark.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As @MTT Database Review already stated, this is a far too open ended question to answer with just a sentence or two. To receive better responses, you should try to include as much detail as possible. The below information can make a huge difference on your strategy.
  • Type of tournament
  • Number of players at the table
  • Position
  • Other stack sizes
  • Preceding action
  • Reads on players left to act (tendencies of aggression etc.)
  • How long on the current blind levels
  • Stage of the tournament (any immediate ICM implications)

duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It depends on a lot of factors.

Are you in the bubble? ITM?
Is a PKO or regular tourney?
Whats your position? Early or Late position?
How is the stack size of the player next to you? Deep or short stack?

As you see, it really depends on a few factors, but in a general way, if you have 5bb you should jam or fold (obviously) with any pairs, strong suited conectors, any suited Aces, and sometimes even any Ace in hand. But once again, it really depends on all the factors I mentioned above. If your FRI (firs raise in) in late position you should jam with all the cards I mentioned above.