What is the best way to play Top Set when your First To Act

stillgotouts

stillgotouts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I like to mix it up and lead out about 1/3 of the time because in my games I don't lead out all too often. If i'm first or second to act and have flopped trips I more than likely didn't start the betting so I like to stay consistent with that. Hope that helps!

DonSifu

DonSifu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only consistent, true answer to any poker question is 'it depends'. There is no one way to play any hand. So yes, leading out is often profitable, but you have to consider the type of player your opponent is.
I think you really need to assess the table dynamic before deciding on the best course of action with top set.

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
top set is hard. the hands most people like staying in would be with top pair and good kicker, but you've taken all but one of the cards they'd need to have this.

all too often if you bet everyone will fold. worse, if that other top card is not in someone else's hand, likely the only people that might call are the hands you want to drive away, the straight draws and the flush draws (unless you get really lucky and somebody hit 2 pair or a lower set).

If the board is coordinated you have to bet and bet hard. Yes, that means you will likely win a small pot rather than a large one, but the alternative is that third diamond or whatever hitting and you wondering if they have that draw or not. If the board is dry, slowplay all you like. :)

Adubzz

Adubzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say it depends on the table. In most situations I would bet. However If all your opponents are tight I would strongly consider checking. Especially if it is a flop with little drawing potential.

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all depends on the texture of the flop. if the flop contains various combinations then draw better bet.

T

trixie

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's always a good situation, but it's tricky. At the start of an MTT, if I'm the opening raiser, and I'm the first to act, I play them like an over pair. You don't want anyone to catch up with a drawing hand. Usually, around the bubble though, it's more profitable to check raise because you'll see a lot of big stacks looking for anywhere to push there chips around to accumulate more. Past the bubble though, it all depends really on who you're playing and how much info you have on em.

14twinsfan18

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have been on a hot run of cards, I might over bet the top set, especially if there are a number of callers. If it is heads up, I might check and try let them catch up. always have to be aware of straights and flushes as letting them draw for cheap/nothing and loses is worst case. I'd rather be aggressive and win than let them draw me out for a few more chips.

Frank Burnette

Frank Burnette

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on quite a few different things but, if I'm understanding your question correctly, I would check or call a raise, waiting to bet a larger amount until after the turn.:)

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as always you want to switch it up to avoid predictability.

With a set I think you can choose to be either aggressive or slow-playing. You do take a chance, though, when you slow play that someone miraculously hits a flush, full or straight...the more players that are in the pot with you and the more conducive a flop is to straight/flush/full draws, the bigger the risk is!

When it comes to trips hit on the flop, however, in most cases I like to come in pretty strong.

Why?

Because I don't want anyone to have a "free" or "nearly free" chance at hitting that full, straight, or flush. And if someone does happen to hit a flush/straight/full draw on the flop, you want them to have to pay dearly to see those next two streets. Many players won't have the stomach to risk a large part of their chipstacks on a draw possibility.

Why is it good for you that they pay to see those next two streets when you hit trips on the flop?

because when they fold, you bank chips with limited risk. When they call your bets on the flop, turn, and river and do not hit their draws you will have taken a great number of their chips. When they do hit their draws, on the turn or river at least you can say you put in your best effort to stop them from doing so too easily (i.e. you forced them to risk their chip stacks to see if they would hit their draws instead of limping along letting them see for free).

I think it is dangerous to slow play trips hit on the flop in many if not most situations. But you must also consider what the value of your set is and what the flop is: if you have trips of 2's through 5's, there is probably less risk of opponents having a fullhouse/straight draw (this logic follows organically from the fact that most players are playing high valued cards and folding, preflop, low valued cards...but this logic also assumes you bet something preflop because players will limp in with practically anything). If you are at a table with players who will put all their chips in teh middle with virtually anything, then you should probably be even more aggressive in your betting on the flop (perhaps even push all-in).

That's how I tend to play sets and trips, hit on the flop.

IoutplayedYou

IoutplayedYou

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Trapping

Hey Everyone i would like feedback on your opinions for when you flop top set and are first or second to act. I believe Leading Out is the best way to play it as NO ONE will put you on a set and the two biggest pots I have ever won were from leading out with top set. Let me know your opinions on this play and how you think it should be played.

I would be making this decision based on the pre flop action. If you raised with 10's and were 3bet so you call then hit a set on a A108 rainbow flop out of position, you may want to check call. By just calling the 3bet pre flop out of position you have given up control of the hand and it may be most profitable to let your opponent continue taking the lead in the hand, as you have flopped a set and can correctly put your opponent on a hand range (AK, KK, etc.) based on pre flop action. In other words you can check knowing your opponent will most likely bet. And your set remains disguised.$$$

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way is to post some hands tbh, since they are all going to be different. You open AA and it comes A48r, then your opponent doesn't have much of a range that you can get value from unless they it's set over set (in which case the money is going in anyway) so I would check. If you've been 3b or a tight player has opened and you have 88 and it comes 843 then lead out is a great line since they'll often have an overpair which they can't fold and even if they just have overs they'll likely call at least one. This is even better if it's a two-tone flop since they'll put you on that FD and probably raise you.

Read your HUD, if villain always c-bets, then let them, if they can't fold, then lead into them or check/raise.