What is the best strategy for tournaments?

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hi Sugarnuts
It is not an easy question, the MTT has variants.
In truth, what I have learned from those who know the most is that if the MTT is long, you must win chips.
Going all in right away unless you have the nuts is really crazy, except the MTT has a rebuy and you can say go all in with good cards and if you lose you have the option.
In a Freezeout that changes, a freeroll the same. You go all in from the start and there are no rebuys.
then throughout the MTT it varies according to your stack of chips.
You can be more aggressive on a bubble if you have a big stack.
You can be more cautious if you want to enter the ITM.
According to, an MTT varies a lot from start to finish.
I am now using at least the freerolls to play with variants, to see if they work for me.
I'm doing an analysis of hands, I see how I win them, how I lose them, where to pay or not, sometimes I pay to see and also to see how the villain plays even if he doesn't even have a pair on the board.
According to different types of variants to try to improve my game.
Over there I copy plays that I see in videos and put them into practice.
And well, surely something is learned from all that.
Greetings friend and welcome to the world Cardschat
Carlos:):):):giggle::giggle::giggle:

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
At the beginning of each tournament, I try to be tighter, I'm getting to know my opponents and then more loose and sometimes aggressive, each moment of a tournament can be different the way of acting

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Try to balance TAG and LAG styles.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends of tournament, but usually I prefer to play tight at the beginning of the tournament and after I start to play more aggressive, specially next to the bubble if I have a comfortable stack.

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hello!
I think that you need to find a balance and adjust to the opponents. You have to take notes on the players and adapt your playing style to your opponents)

L

LemonadeJooe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
Hello,
In my limited experience with online tourneys,
I think its best to play exploitative poker.
The reason being, in the early stages you get to play with a lot of casual players,
pretty much at, all micro-to-mid stakes.

Meaning, when they are calling to pot size bets with top pairs no kicker, or mid pairs, or backdoor draws,
get that value out of them!
Or when they call all-ins with Ace high, dont shy away too much from calling with AK+.

Employ exploitative strategy against tendencies of each opps.

However, keep in mind, early and mid stages, especially in faster than regular speed tourneys,
will have a lot of high variance situations,
as you can go from 100bb to 50bb in 10-15 hands due to speedy level progression.

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
LAG with stack, TAG without.

Cholosnp

Cholosnp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
Depends on how many players there are , registration , tournament duration , your stack and your gameplay also the average BB , if you have more than average in payouts and chipleader of table ( for example u have 70BB and players have around 5 - 30 BB ) being agressive is a good strategy

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I will play tight in the early stages and play looser and aggressively in the late stages.

S

stepashka321

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it best to play loose and aggressive starting tournaments? Or play tight to potentially last longer?
You may not be able to play aggressively, but you simply must be able to play carefully if you want to go far in tournaments.
I'm not even sure if there are really exists aggressive working strategies . I guess playing aggressively is about hitting a lot of the flop and bluffing a lot, in the sense of doing more than average, but that's what a fish does in my opinion.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
try to play based on what players you have at your table and how many chips you have

jleon_zat

jleon_zat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play with the weakest at the table. and put them hard and hard in the hands obviously studying their types of bets

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its depends of the tournament. You must analyze the other players, the stage of the tournament, your stack, and the mode of the tournament 😀

PauPau

PauPau

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
In MTT it is always nice to have a big stacks early to have a better chance to go deep and final table.
Just play tight and look for opportunity to double your chips so you can apply pressure near bubble on short stacks that are in survival mode.

O

oroochimaru

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The majority of good players end up being bad or marginally profitable tournament players because they transfer their successful cash game technique right into tournament play, where the playing field is different. And they wait to make adjustments until they are practically busted anyway due to their short stack. In cash games, waiting for strong hands is OK, but squatting in tournaments will result in a blinds hit. Early on, play looser, especially in position, and be willing to bluff at pots that no one seems to desire or against weak opponents you think you can fold.
Your wager assumes that neither you nor your opponents have a hand strong enough to continue with. Also bet if it is checked to you postflop and you are in position. Due to lack of knowledge or lack of confidence in their hands, the other players typically check. If you bet, they'll easily give up.

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i tend to slow play until i build up my pot then get more aggressive

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that the most effective style is tight-aggressive. At least that's the concept I try to follow in my strategy. But I do not rule out that a combination of styles can bring even better results.

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I would recommend you play quietly and take notes on the villains and later adapt to the way they play to confuse them

Y

Yezkidder

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in online MTT is depends on tournaments buy in, if you play like following strategy on low buy in tournaments its maybe destroy your strategy and you may face tilt to your strategy

J

jj6m

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play each table on its merits and go up and down the gears

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My strategy is to wait for cards that must be played correctly.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it's better to go down right away shooting, than to die slowly.
at least that's how I think.:cool::cool::cool:

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
You can say what you want, but there are days when I don't get a useful card in a given tournament. (I'm talking about pokerstars)
So that's all about tournament strategy and fair play... To see for an hour with 63, 93 cards that others get AAs, full houses, etc. There's nothing wrong with that, just don't say it's fair play.