What is the best strategy for mmt?

Z

zyntsz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the best strategy for mmt? I am not really that good at placing high in Tournaments.

WickedFRoST

WickedFRoST

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing in tournaments every day is tough. You can go months without a solid score.
That is why sometimes it seems that you are doing something wrong. My advice would be try to concentrate on the following aspects and not to worry about results too much:

Don’t try to maintain your starting stack. MTTs are a marathon of lottery:). You’ll play for hours before you approach the money, and at the final table, the starting stack size will often be worth less than 1 big blind.

Play for the win! The pay-out structure of most tournaments reward those who finish in the top few spots, at the expense of those who just barely made it past the bubble.

You should use exploitative strategy when appropriate. For example, if you see a passive or super tight player, try to steal his blinds with higher frequency, and play aggressive postflop against him with strong hands, and bluff on boards that do not hit with his tight range well.

Don’t be afraid to defend your big blind when short-stacked. You should defend your big blind more often in this situation (so long as the raise size is small) because you realize more equity when short stacked. Your opponent won’t be able to blow you off a hand like bottom or middle pair by the river, like they could if you were deep, because you’ll oftentimes be all-in on the flop.

Play tighter when you’re short stacked and near a bubble and vice versa - play aggressively when you have a big stack.

Try and do all the things mentioned above, and you should do pretty much well in micro and low stakes MTTs

And, of course, do not forget to improve your game. Good luck!

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you haven’t already, you should do the free CardsChat course “becoming a winning poker player in 30 days” by Colin and Katie. It will really help guide you through the stages of MTTs and help with when to shove, cbet, value bet, etc. I found it extremely helpful and have made several final tables in a month since versus none the prior couple of months. Best of luck!

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important thing for me in tournaments is discipline and patience, and if luck still smiles, then success is granted.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the best strategy for mmt? I am not really that good at placing high in Tournaments.
you should stay inside the tournament for as long as possible :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is too broad of a question and different players with different styles of play could give answers that are correct in their own way. In poker, especially mtts, it's never going to be a 'one-size-fits-all' strategy when you play. Different situations against different players will require different strategies.

With that said, I play micro-stakes mtts and my preferred style of play is super tag, possibly borderline nit. It's not the flashiest style of playing and I think many players would find it boring, especially over a long mtt session, but it's the style that has allowed me to make numerous final tables and win numerous mtts.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the best strategy in tournaments is an aggressive tight game.
I know one player who plays ultra tight, and he has everything in order with tournament poker, he started with freerolls, then played tournaments at micro limits, now he plays at high limits, he has a bankroll of about a hundred thousand dollars, and this is all he earned by playing ultra tight in online tournaments.