What is a good WTSD %

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For those who don't know WTSD is - you probably don't have much useful input to share, but WTSD is went to showdown.

I was looking at stats last night as I diligently folded away on 4 tables and one guy on one table stood out to me because he had some really overly aggro numbers - and these players are prime targets. But his WTSD was like 15%. So he was VERY (overly) aggressive preflop and on the flop/turn - and he was either taking down the pot before the river, or folding before the river.

I looked at my stats on all 4 tables and my WTSD ranged from 34% to 70%. The 70% was on a 6max tourney, but the two in between numbers were 51% and 43%.
So I'm all over the map with this stat. I did not take note of my sample size at this time - but in the 6max and another event I was no less than 100 hands in. Certainly 70% is absurdly high - but I was in 2nd place in that event - and ended up placing 3rd - so ?? huh? I also missed FT in one of the middle number events by 3 spots.

So this got me curious - and I went to the google knowledge bank.

Everything I could find was from like 2008 (not very relevant) and the majority of info was from cash games, also - not relatable to my curiosity.

The most recent WTSD content I could find was on blackrains site. However he is primarily a cash game grinder who prefers 6max - and his information certainly has to be inaccurate to a tournament grinder. And even more odd was his suggested optimal numbers were low 25% for a TAG anything over 30% is considered a losing REC player. Certainly this is exclusive to 6max cash games?

A link on RedShark Poker (first time visiting that site) suggested less than 25% is TIGHT, 25-35% is optimal and over 35% is considered a station. I'm not familiar with RedShark so I'm not using those numbers as gospel.

Maybe my samples in the two other events were low, or maybe I was just getting strong hands to take to showdown. I certainly know I'm not a calling station - but my numbers on this day really seemed to be WAY too HIGH!

Anyone have any input on this topic as it relates to tournaments?

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Data like this from a single day, probably can't tell you a heck of a lot.

My 122,000 tournament hands is 30% WTSD with a WSD (win at showdown) of 49%
My 10,000 cash hands is 29% with a WSD of 49% here as well.

These metrics are interesting and may help fix some leaks, but ROI is what you care about, as that is the only number that can evaluate your entire strategy.

Good luck and God bless.

C

CourtJester

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Data like this from a single day, probably can't tell you a heck of a lot.

My 122,000 tournament hands is 30% WTSD with a WSD (win at showdown) of 49%
My 10,000 cash hands is 29% with a WSD of 49% here as well.

These metrics are interesting and may help fix some leaks, but ROI is what you care about, as that is the only number that can evaluate your entire strategy.

Good luck and God bless.

1000x this.

Almost all poker decisions are made on the flop. Not the turn. Not the river. If your ROI is 50% on an annualized basis, I don't really care about any other stat. Keep doing what you're doing! If that involves WTSD 30%, 40%, 50%; good to know? :)

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1000x this.

Almost all poker decisions are made on the flop. Not the turn. Not the river. If your ROI is 50% on an annualized basis, I don't really care about any other stat. Keep doing what you're doing! If that involves WTSD 30%, 40%, 50%; good to know? :)

Just to be clear, I think the WSD 49% is about how often we win a hand that gets to a showdown, not an ROI statement. They say, too high of a WSD says we are not taking enough risks, and too low of a WSD says we are paying off better hands too often. I don't know what "perfect" is, but 49% sure is close to balance. I would prefer to win more showdowns though... LOL.

I wish my ROI was 50%, but it is nowhere near that. I still have a lot of work to do.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Gents. Yes - I'm still a relative rookie at poker - and even more so at using my database. I'm pretty confident with my reads - and the data I collect on my HUD vs opponents. But to be honest - Poker Tracker is really a beast! It has so much data - that I often feel a little overwhelmed looking at it all.

Thanks again - agree - one day of overly high stats on any one tracked statistic really doesn't tell us anything about our overall success, and where we have room to improve.