VPIP in Turbos vs MTT

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty straight forward question, are players VPIP in turbos normally higher than they are in standard 8 max/full-ring MTTs?
If the only difference between the two events is the speed of the event, say 15 levels of 5 minute blinds vs 20 levels of 15 minute blinds (online blind levels), is it common for players to run a higher VPIP compared to what they commonly run in standard MTTs?

Thanks for all who provide constructive input.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its not the length of the blind levels but the average stack size, which determine, how many hands can be profitably played. Its not a major effect either, except maybe in hyper turbos, where stacks tend to get so short, that people have to go with almost any hand, when they are in the blinds. If for instance you have 2,2BB left, and you already put in half of that as a blind and ante, you are priced in to call with any two cards, and therefore your VPIP will tend to get higher.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its not the length of the blind levels but the average stack size, which determine, how many hands can be profitably played. Its not a major effect either, except maybe in hyper turbos, where stacks tend to get so short, that people have to go with almost any hand, when they are in the blinds. If for instance you have 2,2BB left, and you already put in half of that as a blind and ante, you are priced in to call with any two cards, and therefore your VPIP will tend to get higher.

Alright - that makes sense. Thanks fundiver.
I asked this question because I play a couple turbo events regularly, and one hyper event semi-regularly, and I found it odd the stats on villains did not really change much, compared to when I'm playing the same villains in standard/regular MTTs.
I suspect this is due to the structure of those specific events I'm playing. Where the starting stacks are 200 & 300bb respectively. So there is a lot of room to navigate - although the blind levels are fast, and 300 becomes 150, then 75 quite fast. :)
But I do see your point, re: average stack where players have widened push/fold ranges. Shorties be jammin!! :)

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that if you play in a certain format and you can do it, why go somewhere else?

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me that if you play in a certain format and you can do it, why go somewhere else?
I like to play mostly MTTs - a select number of large field turbos, and one particular hyper, which is a low buyin event. I make money in all these events - so that is why I play the different formats. :) Thanks for the question poliaris.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that yes, not much, maybe by 3-5% in turbo tournaments, players play their hands more often.
There's nothing you can do about it, the structure of the tournament itself is like this, the blinds increase faster, your stack decreases faster, so you need to play your cards more often.