using sharkscope to determine the best mtts i should play

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't put a lot of volume into mtts, averaging 5-6 mtts / week. so, I took a closer at my sharkscope stats to figure what I should be playing to maximize my profits and results.

note: this is just a general guide to make better choices in the mtts I play. it's not exact because sample size varies a lot.

I gave the following stats a rating of:
  • best: play most often
  • worst: play least often / don't play
  • mid: play occasionally
note: 'worst' doesn't necessarily always mean it isn't a profit or good option to play, just the least favored out of all the options.

mtts by stakes:
  • best: .60 - $1 buy-in
  • worst: $2+ buy-in
  • mid: .25 - .55 / $1.50
mtts by type:
  • best: re-entry
  • worst: knock-out
  • mid: re-buy / freezeouts
mtts by field size:
  • best: 70 - 79 entrants
  • worst: < 70 / > 100 entrants
  • mid: 80 - 99 entrants
mtts by table size [based on ft results]:
  • best: 8 [31 fts / 1st = 6, 2nd = 7, 3rd = 5]
  • worst: 6 [8 fts / 1st = 2, 2nd = 1, 3rd = 2]
  • mid: 9 [11 fts / 1st = 3, 2nd = 1, 3 = 1 ]
only 2% of my mtts played are turbo or faster and I mainly stick with normal blind structures. also, since my best game type are re-entry mtts, I am the most profitable with the initial buy-in and 1 re-entry only.

so, if I want to maximize my results, I should focus on playing: 8-handed, regular speed, re-entry mtts that are between a .60 - $1 buy-in and have a field size of 70-79 entrants. I should also use no more than 1 re-entry into these mtts, if needed.

of course, this is basically good for consistent results and profit but it's not a bankroll booster as smaller fields usually equal smaller prize pools. so, for a bankroll boost, I should take occasional stabs at: 8-handed, regular speed, re-entry mtts that are between a $1 - $1.50 buy-in and have a field size of 70+ entrants. I can also take stabs at very large field size [500+ entrants] mtts that are between a: .25 - .60 buy-in. I should use no more than 1 re-entry into these mtts, if needed.

a good examples of mtts I should take stabs at, to boost the bankroll, are the $1 micro-series mtts on betonline.

anyway, that's it. just wanted to share. maybe some of you might do similar and take a closer look at your results.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The issue is, you need very large samples for MTTs for your results to reflect more than just pure variance, especially when you start breaking them down into small sub-samples. So I would not get to bogged down in this but rather select games based on things like structure and of course bankroll. And also simply observe, which games tend to attract the worst players, since this will often override most other considerations.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The issue is, you need very large samples for MTTs for your results to reflect more than just pure variance, especially when you start breaking them down into small sub-samples. So I would not get to bogged down in this but rather select games based on things like structure and of course bankroll. And also simply observe, which games tend to attract the worst players, since this will often override most other considerations.
I 100% agree with you.

this is a basic guide for me to use to pick which games I'm likely to do better in, if I had to choose between one $1 mtt or another. I'm probably going to play whatever $1 mtt i can, with the exception of satellites and ko games, but I like knowing what my best options are

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Cool. How big was the sample of mtts?
It would be a good idea to check after x mtts played if your stats improved

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the information, I have never used software to play poker or to improve.