used shaun's beginner's guide to win a 180..anyone else heard of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
palmerd2

palmerd2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I had dabbled with micro-stakes turbos but would always bust out early. Like as in before the money was even remotely close.

I used Shaun's beginner's guide to achieve my first win at this level ($2.20 180-man turbo on stars) and was wondering if anyone else has heard of it.

Link below and screenshot :)

http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Number=9209807

tumblr_li35aewVEz1qebhipo1_500.png

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good job, I too read that article very recently. These things certainly seem beatable but a large sample is needed to show any type of good profit or consistent ROI that can be used.
The variance is huge as you may be flipping atleast 3 - 4 times before the final table, and so any edge you can get to increase your tournament equity (such as this article) is definitely a good idea.
GJ on the cash.

palmerd2

palmerd2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
more comments on shaun's beginner guide

That win is my largest tourney cash I have had since starting online poker. I just thought the guide was really interesting because usually when I play any tournament, I am sitting around waiting for premium hands, only attempting steals in position, NEVER restealing, and so I find that by the time I make the money, I almost always have a stack that is less than 10 BBs.

I have Snyder's "Poker Tournament Formula" and he alludes to the fact that in order to even make a final table, and ultimately the top three, one must play more aggressively at the BEGINNING of the tournament. By following Snyder's advise and by using Shaun's beginner's guide, I was able to have the required number of chips (6,000 I believe) by the time the antes kicked in. With a large chip stack, dreading the antes becomes anticipating making good plays.

One thing Shaun's guide says is to remember that while your cards may be worse than your opponents, we can outplay our opponents by using tactics such as raising a limped pot from the small blind, using the go-and-go (I really like this one, where one raises about 30% of the stack preflop out of position (assuming 6-7 players at the table, raise from sb, bb, utg, ep) then shoves any flop), using the stop-n-go(calling a raise, then shoving regardless of flop), and of course, raising medium stacks all-in on the bubble.

I look forward to using Shaun's guide in the future, becuase as you can see, it worked pretty well!

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That win is my largest tourney cash I have had since starting online poker. I just thought the guide was really interesting because usually when I play any tournament, I am sitting around waiting for premium hands, only attempting steals in position, NEVER restealing, and so I find that by the time I make the money, I almost always have a stack that is less than 10 BBs.
This is me, as well as if I make any final table in a CC buy in I am the shortie.
It is cool you got something out of it, I will definitely check it out.

Thanks, and congrats on the win!

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a 4 year old post.

Status
Not open for further replies.