Turbo tournaments

nachopaulo

nachopaulo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
How to play tourbo tournaments effectively? Because you never have time to wait for cards, is there any strategy to play this type of tournament well?

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
How to play tourbo tournaments effectively? Because you never have time to wait for cards, is there any strategy to play this type of tournament well?
Why to wait for something which may not even come? Wouldnt it better to make good use of cards you currently have :unsure:

I'd imagine one key element in turbo games would be to not let yourself bother too much about (very) fast blind structure which makes it kinda strange seeing every once in a while how certain cardchatters are automatically losing their mind whenever they are forced to see turbo games (and/or play them) ...

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the key is to play more aggresively than regular tournament because since the blinds increase very fast you dont have much time to wait for premium hands. take more risk and try to build a good stack early on the tournament that will make you play more confortably in the middle and late stages of the tournament.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is a game that the blinds rise quickly. So you play the cards with higher and high aces and the pairs. You chooze the stronger hands to play.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in tournaments with this structure, the blinds rise quickly and you have to play more aggressively and also play all in more often and in general you need to try to risk more to try to get a big stack

J

jday00m

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lower stakes capitalize more on preflop mistakes by your opponents, Higher stakes is more postflop play.

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
good if you got lower amount of time to play

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the key is learning push or fold strategy. Often you will play on ~20bbs and it's important to know shove, re-shoves and calling ranges. You can learn it with programms like icmizer or hrc and your expierence. Not an easy stuff and requires a lot of work.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Study the push fold range, you will be most of the time in this shorty stack situation due to the structure. And even when you are with the medium or large stack, take into account the effective stack of the table, and adjust your range by the effective stack .

EnzoRS94

EnzoRS94

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
You should play more aggressively and try to get that double up early.

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
all in all the time, you need chips to play these turbos

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with a more aggressive game than in regular tournaments, but you don't need to lose your head with different connectors in tribets. An aggressive but neat game with an assessment of the game of your opponents at the table.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you will need to break away from opponents with the best cards as quickly as possible to take risks in order to increase your stake, I think this strategy will be correct because the game will be fast and the faster you break away from opponents, the better it will be for you to fight against ante

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the key it to know when to steal the blinds and so on

S

SteveAsh7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I can't stand any type of turbo especially tournaments (My Days!!) You say wait for the hands but they may never come. Someone replied to you on here saying just find a way to play with what you have but why i hate turbo touneys is because everyone just goes all-in every hand and no poker gets played. So you can't play with what you have because you make a call pre-flop or a slight raise and they go all-in. It's just down to luck it's poker for idiots imo. Relying on lady luck and all-ins ain't my kind of poker. If it's for you then fair enough but NOT for me. I prefer regular speed.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I just play my normal game overall. You need to be very aware of the blind though. If you dont you will end up very short before you relize it happens and then your in trouble.

siberianspecial

siberianspecial

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't know how to help you, I also don't know a good strategy to play this type of tournament, I usually play regularly, even for the time of action, because I need to think and I like to have more time.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The strategy for playing in turbo tournaments is the same as in regular tournaments, the only thing you need in turbo tournaments is more luck.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, the key to success in turbos is to get really good at playing with a short stack. Short stacked play also excist in tournaments with regular speed blinds, but it is far more common in turbos.

G

greenlarrow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I play only regular tournaments, because you still need to know how to play turbo

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't stand any type of turbo especially tournaments (My Days!!) You say wait for the hands but they may never come. Someone replied to you on here saying just find a way to play with what you have but why i hate turbo touneys is because everyone just goes all-in every hand and no poker gets played. So you can't play with what you have because you make a call pre-flop or a slight raise and they go all-in. It's just down to luck it's poker for idiots imo. Relying on lady luck and all-ins ain't my kind of poker. If it's for you then fair enough but NOT for me. I prefer regular speed.
I started playing poker with turbo formats, whether it's sit end go, spin end go or tournament, I don't like the game with deep blinds, everyone has their own taste, if you can't play in this format, don't play, but don't write insults that this is a game for idiots, it's ugly, and the topic of the post is "HOW TO PLAY A TURBO TOURNAMENT", if there is nothing to answer, then it's better to keep silent than to write any nonsense off topic

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
preferred over regular speed as hard to find the hours to play for 10 or 12 hours. That said, risk is required earlier as you must try to build a stack. If you get down, your only hope is to catch a couple of quick ddouble ups as you push your short stack all in,,,

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Turbo tournaments you have to play aggressive because otherwise, you run out of chips.

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Things said about knowing how to play short stack are of course right and most common way of dealing with turbos.
The other way is to treat them not as separate events, but as a continuous play. Keeping some tight range, allowing yourself to bleed out waiting for cards, less ITM. You need some volume for this, though, and turbos would need to have good payout structure. In todays environment it's uncommon, so I would stick to first option.