Turbo tournaments

zegaum

zegaum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who does not have much time to spend playing undertakes playing turbos. I particularly like and get along very well. However, the strategy is different from normal tournament, the tendency is to be more aggressive.

bilbo63

bilbo63

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me, turbos and hyper turbos are more luck and less skill. You have to take more risks to try and build a stack early or else you risk getting blinded/ante'd out in later stages. I will play them occasionally if my cards are running hot on a particular day, other wise I just avoid them.

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In Turbo tournaments you have to be more skilled to use every chance you will get to win pot (mostly preflop). In regulars you can play tighter and wait for big hands longer time, so building stack and getting ITM is easier in my opinion. In turbos is also more luck involved cause of all that preflop action, thats why there is higher variance.

R

RogerZzz8979

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For small tournaments (9-45 players), turbo-structure is ideal. For the bigger MTT's, I find it very challenging!

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like turbos because you can buy the blinds a lot easier and they go up a lot faster. That way you build a stack quicker with out risking a lot. Just remember to fold your QJ off after someone shoves on your min raise lol.

zegaum

zegaum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In fact, for those who have time to Kogar, regular tournaments are better. You have more time to wait for a strong hand. On the turbo, you have to race against time, and try to build a good dick in the beginning of the game, but runs the risk of blinds eat you.
I play many turbo not to like them anymore, but do not have much time available to play long tournaments and SNGs.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We play turbos in my home game. We have a different twist if your are going to bet your money must be in the pot in 10 seconds. no calls allowed. it is qick and refreshing.

mrh2u

mrh2u

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would be an opponent in one of those. That's right up my alley. ;)

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We play turbos in my home game. We have a different twist if your are going to bet your money must be in the pot in 10 seconds. no calls allowed. it is qick and refreshing.

That's an awful structure....that is less poker and more gambling

M

misko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the turbo tournament but, for the small bay in.If i put more then $100 in the tournament i like to have a good tournament structure...

R

racorel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on how well you know how to play poker ....at least I think this......is a little harder to develop turbo tournaments...can not wait very long one hand they consider good

magicius

magicius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the turbo tournament but, for the small bay in.If i put more then $100 in the tournament i like to have a good tournament structure...

You play tourneys with 100$ buyin?

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on how well you know how to play poker ....at least I think this......is a little harder to develop turbo tournaments...can not wait very long one hand they consider good

Depends alot on luck too...its more of a gamble.....with blinds rising so quickly, so range becomes bigger

RCtheDabbler

RCtheDabbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbo STT & MTTs are good for players who dont have a lot of spare time to play in the regular or deep stack tournaments. I personally like Turbo as it isnt too quick that you have to push with random cards but it also means you can get alot of tournaments or sit & goes in one session.

S

sleepymike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll play turbos, but just the one or two table variety. Do prefer non-turbo.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not a big fan of turbos. My game is built around patience and taking advantage of the impatient players who think they can win a tourney by doubling up in the first 10 minutes. Yes it does take a time commitment. Turbo MTTs to me are just too much of a luckfest. You are eventually going to be forced to start shoving at a much earlier stage because the blinds will go up so quickly. Turbo MTTs are a little different, but turbo sit-n-gos are just almost always a matter of who wins the first hand when at least 3-4 people go all-in. And that will invariably happen within the first 10 minutes of just about every ST turbo sit-n-go.

daredeviljo

daredeviljo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm also a huge turbo fan, I find them most profitable due to the large amounts of entrants. However, every game is different, it is very inconsistent, that is why I prefer knockouts because donks will do anything to make 20% of the buyin to knockout opponents, therefore easy double ups for patient players as long as one has the cards. I do not reccomend hyper tubro SnG's though, you will usually find your winnings fluctuate, more like a lottery.

999lanzado99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if you do not like to wait, you would have to play cash or sng luck ...

M

Macaroon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
in low buy ins tourneys i also prefer turbo tourneys, however with higher buy ins at least 11 dollars, i would prefer deep stack structures where the blinds increase at least every 15 minutes. turbo tourneys have lots of variance than regular or deep tourneys so you will need more luck to achieve good results.
you can play lots of turbos and some regular tourneys if you have a downswing, because bad runs are much shorter in non turbos tourneys

Sorry I don't see how a turbo game can have any more varience than a standard game. What might happen is that you play a larger range of hands...then indeed the varience is likely to go up. But the chances of AA v one opponent pre-flop seeing the AA lose is exactly the same whatever the structure.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not a big fan of turbos. My game is built around patience and taking advantage of the impatient players who think they can win a tourney by doubling up in the first 10 minutes. Yes it does take a time commitment. Turbo MTTs to me are just too much of a luckfest. You are eventually going to be forced to start shoving at a much earlier stage because the blinds will go up so quickly. Turbo MTTs are a little different, but turbo sit-n-gos are just almost always a matter of who wins the first hand when at least 3-4 people go all-in. And that will invariably happen within the first 10 minutes of just about every ST turbo sit-n-go.
I think you are confusing turbos with Hyper turbos. A normal turbo stt 9 man will take 40-55mins and you never see 3-4 peeps all in on the first hand.
In hyper stts you may start with 300 chips and yes you will see more all ins earlier.There is a huge difference

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not a huge fan fan of Turbo's either, but there are a few that Im keeping my eye on & I might yet be tempted. Allthough these are not my cuppa tea, I think with a little change in my playing style I can have a few on my schedule.
I prefer knockouts because donks will do anything to make 20% of the buyin to knockout opponents, therefore easy double ups for patient players as long as one has the cards.
This is my next step ... Just hope Ive got what it takes. Might start @ $1.35 on PS.

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to say that I am big fan of turbo tournaments. I don't like playing in $1,000 - $5,000 tournaments with starting chips 5k and 15 minute blinds the game will take hours to finish. I rather for the tournament to be in around the 5 minute blind statue. Only if its the 100k tournament on Sunday that i wouldn't mine the 15 minute blinds.

The shorter the blind period the more aggressive you have to be. So you are forced to play hands you would normally not play.

I believe that the shorter blind periods become, the more poker starts to resemble gambling than a game of skill. Sure you can run well but then your performance becomes more a function of luck than skill.

And I don't know if you really gain anything by playing hyper-turbo type games. Maybe playing such games would be good for an overly conservative tight player to get some practice being more aggressive. I guess I could see some value in that. But in general, playing games like that will turn a loose-aggressive player into an even more loose-aggressive player.......