Turbo tournaments

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with some of the others, and disagree with the OP.

Turbo tournaments require a different strategy. There is a topic that 95%+ poker books completely ignore: tournament speed.

If your strategy doesn't take into account tournament speed then you are a fish, and you will be taken down. Everything that is different between tpes of tournaments has to be accounted for in strategy. 6 handed/8handed/10 handed? strategy. 3 minute blinds/20minute blinds? strategy. SNG/MTT? strategy. $1 entry/ $100 entry? strategy.

You have to adapt your game to the game at hand, as well as the players, as well as the cards, etc...

If you don't.. you'll end up thinking, "it's bingo," or "it's rigged" or "there's no strategy"

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Due to having been playing cash games for some time, I feel comfortable playing deep stack and slow tournaments. In turbo tournaments, I still have difficulties, I believe there is a huge space for me to evolve.

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Another fact that I forgot to mention and just confirms my opinion that everything is a matter of adaptation: I would also have difficulties in the beginning in playing bounty/bounty builders tournaments. Some strategies must be different, the way to play and face the different situations that we encounter throughout a tournament, such as playing with a certain amount of BB's, how the opponents play...

JoseFerreras

JoseFerreras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With turbo games is all about math and position ... trying to find spots to steal the blinds.
Its a Push or Fold game.

iv_horsemen

iv_horsemen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often like to register late for tournaments. Even just 5-10 mins to avoid the first wave of lotto poker. Nobody said you had to call... But we all love to call.

iv_horsemen

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with some of the others, and disagree with the OP.

Turbo tournaments require a different strategy. There is a topic that 95%+ poker books completely ignore: tournament speed.

If your strategy doesn't take into account tournament speed then you are a fish, and you will be taken down. Everything that is different between tpes of tournaments has to be accounted for in strategy. 6 handed/8handed/10 handed? strategy. 3 minute blinds/20minute blinds? strategy. SNG/MTT? strategy. $1 entry/ $100 entry? strategy.

You have to adapt your game to the game at hand, as well as the players, as well as the cards, etc...

If you don't.. you'll end up thinking, "it's bingo," or "it's rigged" or "there's no strategy"

100% this, particularly when it comes to late game play. There's a lot of value in playing turbo formats because people play too tight in the later game for the blind levels.

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbos are no good.
If you really don't have time to play a long MTT then maybe play turbos. I think it is harder to learn good poker in turbos. Also I think it is harder to win consistently if you are a good player in turbos.
If you are going to play turbos then I think you have to take more chances pretty fast than you would in a regular MTT. I guess some ppl are saying if you play well in turbos it will work in the long run. I guess that makes sense. I would rather play regular MTT personally but I understand not everyone has enough time. I like regular MTT with 10 to 12 min blinds. I have also enjoyed a MTT with 8 min blinds. The 2 to 5 min blinds I don't like. Maybe I will have to play these turbos at some point when I can't afford the time to play regular MTTS. Good luck on the felt

P

PVMacedo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that on Turbo tournaments the lucky factor is bigger than on slow ones.

You gonna a lot of people playing bingo because they are getting short and blind increasing fast.

There is not a lot of space for moves like 3bets and 4bets because usually after a 2bet you don't have fold equity anymore.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like turbos. I definitely don't have time to sit for hours on end in a mtt. Which is why I mostly play sng's.