Tracking you position?

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself watching my position in online tournaments more than I do in live play.
I just finished a small sag. And I never, not once, tracked where I was. I won the tournament.

So I am wondering your thought on if it just is a mental distraction to keep track? I know you have to check once in a while, but not every few seconds.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is mostly a mental distraction, since its way more important to pay attention to stack sizes and opponent tendencies especially early in an MTT.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I don't do it often it's a distraction for me too but I do it in the bubble phases because I must change my approach(especially in satellite tournaments).
The one thing I look at and it's more important for me is where I stand whenever I have a shovable stack and what a double up will do!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I track my position from the first hand.

In fact I open the lobby and scroll down the players list until I find those who have exited and leave the lobby set that way all the way to the bubble - I literally follow the last man out and how many are left in the field. I check the leaderboard much less.

It is imperative for me to know precisely where I stand, to grasp I need to up the aggression or play better hands if I am well positioned with a bigger stack/

That said, once in a while I will get distracted, find myself playing loosely and arrive at the bubble quickly to my delight - so there is something to what you say.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With ICM, there will be situations where you will be able to make more profitable decisions based on knowing where you are in the field. In spots like being on the money bubble, as you're approaching pay jumps and approaching the final two and then final table spots all require you to know where you are in the field and your stack size in comparison to other players to make the most profitable decisions.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I used to track my trny position when I first started. I don't even mess w/it anymore until the "Hand for hand mode" begins. When I'm near the $ I'll see who's in jeopardy at my table and go from there. Hopefully it isn't me.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I play in tournaments, I almost never monitor my position, probably because I play tight :D
But in cash games, I always monitor the position, I think this is very important, it gives an advantage, for example, I can fold with AT at an early position, but I will play the same hand while on the button.

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't really see where I'm at in a ACR tournament until the ATM message pops up.
That's when I take a look at position...

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Personally I don't normally/usually check my position and just play one hand at a time.

It's a distraction for me and my preference is just to factor my position with regards to the players in front of me, i.e. my table.

The exceptions to this are if I've just won/lost a big pot I might take a quick glance where the hand has left me in the standings and of course when the bubble is approaching and after reaching ITM.

During 'open play' (i.e. from hand one up until the bubble) I like to focus purely on making the best possible decisions street by street, hand by hand.

Don't have much capacity left in my dilapidated grey matter for processing anything else during play! :laugh:

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sometimes track my position but not always. The most important for me is my position in stack at the table. I just check my ranking when we get close to the bubble.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it is best if you only sometimes check how you stand in the tournament, because otherwise it will be very depressing if you get backwards and this can affect the game as well.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find myself watching my position in online tournaments more than I do in live play.
I just finished a small sag. And I never, not once, tracked where I was. I won the tournament.

So I am wondering your thought on if it just is a mental distraction to keep track? I know you have to check once in a while, but not every few seconds.
I checked a lot in the beginning, nowadays I don't check anymore.
I only check when it's a satellite.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, it is necessary to do this, when the number of remaining players is close to the money in order to change your game plan (the final stage of the tournament). The beginning of the tournament and the middle stage, it is very easy to play and absolutely do not pay attention to the position in the tournament and relative to other players. But you must look at the position at your table (relative to other players) before each new round ;) (I'm talking about the number of chips, I don't mean the position when dealing cards)

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
My case for me is a distraction, when I started playing my friends insisted that I should be aware of that, and the truth was fatal to me and it is not about not being able to concentrate on both things but that that made my game change so much and in a negative way that I do not like, so I decided to play as usual and not pay so much attention to that

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Checking your position would be more of a factor in payout jumps then just tracking for the sake of tracking. ICM would dictate value of your current chips and help make proper decisions at that point.

L

lancabcd10

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some friends like to use this strategy, of not following the tournament numbers all the time.
However I prefer to follow the numbers, live and online, because sometimes I advance the range too much in situations where I would have to hold more.