Tournaments with addons

M

Mattyice1478

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you guys prefer to register for these tournaments. Sometimes Ill jump in right when it starts or Ill jump in a couple minutes before registration ends and get my add on and start from there. Theres certainly benefits to both sides I just want to see what you guys think.

D

djsviga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on the structure of the tourney, sometimes an add on is not even necessary, but most of the time you should be doing it if your bankroll allows it (if it doesnt, you shouldnt even be playing that tourney), not mattering if you late registered or not. GL!

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
addons for a better start, time-wise

If you can afford it, addons make sense sometimes. Say you are cramped for time, need to know fairly early if you have enough stack to make a deep run. If you addon, maybe you can use some time early in tourney, complete a quick necessary task, and know you will still have enough chips to continue realistically.
There are other reasons, pro and con, addon, just one scenario

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually the add-on changes everything. Especially in 50 or less people MTTs.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Late reg right before it ends, take the add-on during the break.

Unless it's a weird structure like on ACR where its 20 levels of late reg, 30 levels of re-buys, add-on on level 31. Then I just buy-in, take the rebuy, and hope to make it to the add-on.

I

its TG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So many variables, different strategies for different structures & situations. Almost always late reg, but I only wait until the add-on if it puts me close to the stacks currently ITM.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I've always liked to start the games from the beginning, it's a matter of taste, there are people who feel comfortable registering in the last minute of the tournament, but personally I like it from the beginning, I feel there is not so much pressure to play with the blinds so high

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you guys prefer to register for these tournaments. Sometimes Ill jump in right when it starts or Ill jump in a couple minutes before registration ends and get my add on and start from there. Theres certainly benefits to both sides I just want to see what you guys think.

I always come part way in, the donkeys are usually gone by then. I never add on, not worth it.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like rebuy and addon tournaments.
I feel like alot of people just rebuy a few times until they have a decent stake, without really putting effort into it.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like rebuy and addon tournaments.
I feel like alot of people just rebuy a few times until they have a decent stake, without really putting effort into it.
So, you don't like people putting more money into the prize pool?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always come part way in, the donkeys are usually gone by then. I never add on, not worth it.
Bad players are never gone from an MTT until it's over.

So, being able to add-on 15-20 BBs (for example) when you have 8 BBs isn't worth it?

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to enter from the beginning since many players give away a lot of chips at the start

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad players are never gone from an MTT until it's over.

So, being able to add-on 15-20 BBs (for example) when you have 8 BBs isn't worth it?

It's not, because the min amount you wil win is what the add on is. Usually if you have 8BB, you will lose the money you spent on the add on.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I stay away from games that are rebuy/add on. There's just way too many chips in play to have to get to get into the money never mind the final table. They tend to take too long to get into the money too.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like tournaments with addons. But I prefer to register at the beginning of the tournament, because at the beginning of the game there are more chances to increase my stack at the expense of other players.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes its not even worth the rebuy but it completely depends on the structure of the particular tourney.

When its not worth it. (at least to me) Costs $1 for rebuy but ITM only pays 75c So if it was a freebuy you are losing money. One I play often has 300+ players and even rd place only pays out less than the buyin sometimes so I am reticent to rebuy or addon here.

I play a number of small stakes R/A that are completely worth it usually only 30 players or so fluctuates between 20-45 players on average (just guessing).

But these tourneys generally pay only to 3rd place and 3rd is usually more than covers the buyin+addon

not that I am hoping for 3rd I am playing to win. By BR is low so ITM is important to me at the moment

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always enter the beginning of the tournament. I then have the opportunity to save, and not buy an addon. But if I have a stack of medium size at the time of purchase, I buy an addon. Otherwise, I'll be with a small stack when all players buy chips.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I have played those tournaments, I do not like to do rebuy, but if I survive and I get to the add on and I understand that my game is fine and it is necessary to do the add on, I do it to ensure and not lose some advantage I have, but If I feel that my game is not right or I'm struggling to do something right in the game, I just do not do it to keep losing money and if I have a lot of advantage and it's not necessary to do the add on, I do not do it

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
register

i always like to start the tourments from the begining
i think i have a bennefit to see more hands

kddy

kddy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like that kind of tournaments or those of buybacks, since many players go for the betting way, much all-in to pure luck

BnaD

BnaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play these tournaments if I can afford to fire multiple bullets with a full addon each time. If you can't afford to do this I think you're playing above your bankroll.

eRaS55

eRaS55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stakes matters

Ok so for me it really comes down to stakes. At the Micro and Freeroll levels I hardly ever play from the start due to the immense pool of really bad players... They can often derail an otherwise solid poker strategy so I prefer to avoid this turmoil time and build my stack later. That said there are times I would buy in at the start, namely when the starting stack is low like 1500 or 2500 chips ... or on turbo games where the blind sizes go up really quickly.

At the low level I kinda use a similar approach actually and any higher stakes I think its best to get in as soon as possible and build value to your stack... Simply because your opponents are now leagues better and will more often than not be a nightmare for your small stack to deal with... 1 variant of this for me is if blinds are decent at closing time and I can afford the add on which still gives me a healthy stack I may delay just a bit.

There are many other reasons to play either way as well but at its basics, yea this is how I choose ;)

AndreyMav78

AndreyMav78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like these games. Of course, sometimes they justify themselves, but only as a mechanism for moving to another level (step) of satellites. And if it speaks of poker as an interesting strategic game, then these games completely distort the meaning of the game.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Add on tournments

Geralmente torneios com add on têm rebuy também para dar um volume maior de premio portanto o ideal é jogar ele do inicio com objetivo de fazer fichas para jogar bem após o período de rebuy e add on terminar

Pode parecer vantagem entrar perto do final do periodo mas na verdade o risco em perder é maior pois os blinds altos e como todos entram nas mãos faz com que não seja atrativo o registro tardio

:jd4:mateuspoker