Tournaments

LAGvTAG

LAGvTAG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How does one stay focused in an online tournament?

With a normal blind structure, some of these tournaments can last for 8 hours or more. The total number of entrants could be in the thousands. There are so many distractions when playing from home compared to live play. I have found that by the time that I get to the final table, my mind is putty, and not nearly as sharp as when first starting the tournament. This poses a problem, since the final table has the best players, and survival means real dollars.

Any advice?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play other game formats

Its also not very practical to not know in advance, if you are going to be playing for 1 or 8 hours. The solution is to play other game formats. In cash games you can come and go, as you like, and there are also plenty of tournaments with smaller fields, which finish a lot faster.

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to listen to training videos or podcasts while playing. I also take full advantage of the breaks. Doing some sort of exercise like push ups or something. This helps me a lot.

M

Ms_AAandKK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love watching educational videos:icon_boun:icon_boun:icon_boun

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If I do not feel rested to play a tournament for a few hours I do not enroll.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are not the only one to get to the last table, as you write with a dirty mind. All with the same chances reach the last table. Is that the stacks are different. There is no such that would help you. If you have a big stack, you can just walk away for half an hour and not play.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hey

Its about planning before you enroll.

Because at the beginning you will not know how far you go.

Along the way as tou gather a lot of chips thats when you have to change focus to playing long hours and for that you have to be mentally prepared in advance.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think sometimes you need to take a break and sit out for a couple hands.
Multitabling for hours feels like torture and that feeling makes you give away chips.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Get up from the table during the break, exercise.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only the poker client should be running on the computer. No browsers, chats, forums, social networks, nothing. All your relatives that live with you should not bother you. Your phone should be off. Nothing should distract from the game of poker, it greatly increases the care and concentration.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice: be patient, play though the left heel but do not lose consciousness, one tournament can change your life for the better. It is worth eight hours of suffering.

K

kientek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
few months break and start again

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its also not very practical to not know in advance, if you are going to be playing for 1 or 8 hours. The solution is to play other game formats. In cash games you can come and go, as you like, and there are also plenty of tournaments with smaller fields, which finish a lot faster.

Smaller fields doesn't always mean faster. Seen a streamer enter tournament with around 150 people, it took over 8 hours to finish

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The tips above are very good. If you have a large stack, you can simply move 15 minutes away from the table. Example, make yourself a drink and relax. It is also necessary to prepare yourself mentally, about the fact that you have to spend at least 6 hours on the game, if you are tired, it is best to not play the game today.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have been playing poker for almost 10 years and now I have no such problem. I believe that such endurance can be gained with experience.

StArDemonn

StArDemonn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Listen music,cold shower always works,start playing turbos..or sit&go,in a field with 90 players it takes like 2h maybe more.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I just play tournaments one hand at a time.

I try to put everything else unimportant out of my mind and just concentrate on the game.

It's only ever one table of players at a time, the FT is also one table of players, one hand at a time. Granted, bigger decisions and ICM considerations yes, but I find it helps me focus personally using 'tunnel vision' on each individual hand whilst keeping the bigger picture and overall goal to the back of my mind.

The more often you face any given situation, the more comfortable you will be. I have played 8 hour+ tournaments like you described, through the early hours of the night, using the wifi of a closed cafe, sitting outside it on a phone in the middle of winter. I was pretty focused. [emoji4]

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
never pay attention to how much time has passed , if your watching the clock your playing the wrong game playing in big tournaments takes time if you think online takes time you might not want to play a live tournament:rock:

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How does one stay focused in an online tournament?

With a normal blind structure, some of these tournaments can last for 8 hours or more. The total number of entrants could be in the thousands. There are so many distractions when playing from home compared to live play. I have found that by the time that I get to the final table, my mind is putty, and not nearly as sharp as when first starting the tournament. This poses a problem, since the final table has the best players, and survival means real dollars.

Any advice?

Turn the TV and radio off. Maybe play a sit n go to keep your mind sharpe while out of hands.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have to keep in mind that you have a goal to achieve because it will help you stay motivated and especially focus on what is happening at the table. I take vitamin C and I drink a lot of water to stimulate my brain. to all our limits, but we can try to improve them over time by proving disipline and rigor.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I normaly listen to music during playing
And if i have 1 table left i might watch something on the side
like a video or something helps me a lot and also makes the time go quicker.. instead of looking at you being card-dead for 2 hours.. what happens a lot latetly

Sometimes i use chips irl aswell that helps me in the end game to stay focused for some reason.. weird.. but it works

Think everyone has a thing they do when playing poker online

D

dark IPA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everyone who gets to the final table feels tired. this happens in any competition, endurance + luck wins. i think 5minutes-break per hour is enough to relax your eyes and brain

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
i feel you man , the exact thing happens to me also , im playing safe all game , playing good , and with the time passing i get bored , i dont know , tired and i play superficial ,like for example i reached in the last 15 on the pokerstars freeroll and i played superficial and went all in to go to sleep XD jessus .... i got 1,75$ ... i couldive win more but patience and sleepiness killed me , its good the cardschat freerolls are just for cardschat members and dont share the password thats how theres not thousands of players , when i played it was 200 . so dont share the passwords guys on facebook or other social networks

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My advice to you m8 is that you start playing poker refreshed and full of energy and positive attitude , probably in the morning after workout (if you do , and you should) :) It will keep both mind and body sharp , just got to eat and drink properly ;)
Also if you register on a tourney , plan ahead , think everytime u'll reach 1st place , so you can calculate before you register how much of free time its gonna take u , and is it worth it ; Ofc if you get bored during 2nd break of poker , then maybe tourneys aren't for you ,or at least those 6+h guarantees , maybe try with 180 SnG :)

Hope I helped you in anyway & gl m8

Last edited:
Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If there is a tournament that could play that long I usually will only play when I am refreshed and would be able to play uninterrupted. I put on relaxing meditation music and take a small walk during a break. I’ll admit I pick events that only last 3 to 4 hours at a time.