Tournament Strategy

F

FMicoanski

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
What are the strategies you use in tournaments?

knutwuchtig

knutwuchtig

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
it depends, in freerolls attack, price money slow play and concentration.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
it's different if it's a fast game or a slow game structure, if the game is fast, I try to play more in each hand if the game is slow, then I wait for a strong hand and go in with it and try to collect a lot of chips I play from positions I always try to play differently so that players don't remember me

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
I use too many different ones so yeah

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Straight to the point, the most dangerous phrase in poker is "fold your cards and wait for the best opportunity". I'm sure you've ever said this to yourself or to anyone else.You can't consistently win more than your fair share of chips if you're not playing aggressively, and you can't maintain maximum aggression if you rarely have a big stack. This all seems logical, but it's hard for most players to put it into practice because you have to play big pots to build a big stack, and playing big pots is... scary. This is true, of course, but this is the essence of the game.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
Really depends on the tournament.. how many people playing, is it deep stack, is it slow is it turbo.. Generally I try to avoid people who just push in at the start, unless I have really good cards. Try to make a stack at start and go from there. Some times the cards just don't come and you fall out, sometimes they do and you can make it far. The essence is to play your strong game and the results will come eventually. You can't just expect to win every tournament though.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My strategy in the tournament is to win. How? This is a tactic, it should be read in another thread.:D

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It also depends not only on the structure of the tournament, but also on the buy-in. At the lower limits and in freerolls, the game is very different from the game at higher limits...

Ncsaba1988

Ncsaba1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
When the blinds are still small i play always agressive. It depend on stakes where i play.

werty328

werty328

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
What are the strategies you use in tournaments?
for me it all depends on the tournament, if it is without any especially big awards, I play for luck))) and if with a good prize, then every step is carefully and thought out)))

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at micro limits, just play on your card and play from the range and from the players, I think not any strategy, but more exploitative

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Strategy changes with the blinds you have aviable

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By my opinion, Main strategy in the ordinary tournaments: this to hit any price at the prize zone, a then there can to fight for first place already! That's all!

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
get a feel for the players, dont be over aggressive at first, then take all the chips

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I need more patience , dedication at tournaments . Without them I cannot focus :) I need to improve these skills . Notes on players help me on how to play at tournaments . If he is tagged as very loose , crazy player I tend to play very aggressive with good hands towards him the way he plays , in a very sneaky way ... If he is tagged as bot , I try to avoid him , anyway .....

G

Goalie35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Straight to the point, the most dangerous phrase in poker is "fold your cards and wait for the best opportunity". I'm sure you've ever said this to yourself or to anyone else.You can't consistently win more than your fair share of chips if you're not playing aggressively, and you can't maintain maximum aggression if you rarely have a big stack. This all seems logical, but it's hard for most players to put it into practice because you have to play big pots to build a big stack, and playing big pots is... scary. This is true, of course, but this is the essence of the game.
I agree aggressive play is the best way to win but patience is just as important. It is hard to be aggressive when your best hand in the last hour has been 9, 7o. When you have been card dead for a long period, it is hard not to over value mediocre hands. (I have been card dead for 2 months and I am tired of being told to play more aggressive.)

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Also part of the strategy is the right BRM!

Which BRM to use depends on the win rate or ROI. That is, it will be right for each player to know his personal optimal BRM. Those who have very high ROI can play with BRM = 70-100 buy-ins. But usually a lot of players don't have that high ROI and the variance in poker is quite high! So in general I would recommend using a BRM around 100+ buy-ins. And for players who know for sure that they have still a very low ROI, it is better to use an even more conservative BRM!

A good calculator with which you can calculate the optimal BRM for yourself - primedope.com

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
There is an adjustment of the general strategy in every game. Games are not the same so these adjustments vary a lot from game to game.