Tournament Skill vs Buy-In

P

Patchco89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm wondering what the biggest differences are between the different tournament buy-ins?

I often find myself in the money, or even final tables, in tournaments with buy-ins between $5-$22... but I haven't really tried a $100+ buy-in yet, mostly because I'd be hesitant to re-buy if I bust too early.

Obviously bankroll management says if I can't really afford to enter and lose that kind of money, I shouldn't... but I'm curious from those who do play those stakes or higher, do you find it a lot more challenging? Or is it pretty similar? Would I be naive to think I stand a decent chance at making some money in the higher stakes?

I just want to see more of a ROI after so many hours behind the screen.

D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm wondering what the biggest differences are between the different tournament buy-ins?

I often find myself in the money, or even final tables, in tournaments with buy-ins between $5-$22... but I haven't really tried a $100+ buy-in yet, mostly because I'd be hesitant to re-buy if I bust too early.

Obviously bankroll management says if I can't really afford to enter and lose that kind of money, I shouldn't... but I'm curious from those who do play those stakes or higher, do you find it a lot more challenging? Or is it pretty similar? Would I be naive to think I stand a decent chance at making some money in the higher stakes?

I just want to see more of a ROI after so many hours behind the screen.

The play is different when you do play a $55+ tournament. You will find yourself being 3 bet more often and having to make more decision on whether to flat, 4 bet or fold. I have found myself folding far too often to 3 bets at higher limits. For myself I know that I need to run exceptionally well to be able to get deep in the higher limits. Your ability to pick up easy pots with no showdown lessens quite a bit. You are met with a lot more resistance

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am almost at the same kind of situation, but with very lower stakes.
I am just making baby steps, playing on freerolls and micro tournaments. Im trying to learn and listening a lot, maybe in a few weeks I will have enough confidence to really start playing. But I surely understand you.

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are absolutely correct that bankroll management is key. $100+ MTTs will always be around, but your bankroll may not be if you're careless with it.

That said, the competition at $5-$25 is fairly similar, but as DancingNancie says, it ramps up quite a bit when you get into the midrange stakes and beyond. In addition to facing more resistance preflop, post-flop play also becomes much more of a challenge. Things you could usually get away with at lower stake MTTs, like limping, playing OOP, or playing top pair with average kickers get punished.

I'd say the best way to prepare for those stakes is to learn how to play different styles if you don't already. Good players at high stakes actually pay attention and will pick apart one-dimensional strategies.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play freerolls. He was selected for very high buyin on satellites and played there. I didn’t notice the difference. It depends on the table. There are tables with careful players and there is always an aggressive game on the table. I got into the prizes there and flew out with good hands against very weak hands on the bubble.

M

mkdjdfb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Higher buy-in tournaments are tougher and could put a dent in your bankroll if you are not careful. I would recommend trying to satty in to the bigger buy in events if you have a smaller bankroll.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone chooses discipline to their liking. Tournament poker is prize-winning, life-changing, and weak players. At the same time, luck plays a big role in tournament poker.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
The main difference between the high buyin mtts and the medium ones is the type of players. There's a lot of regs who are playing for the win and they are very solid. If you are good at reading opponents and their betting pattern, ranging them ...etc you can feel pretty confortable playing these mtts.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play freerolls. He was selected for very high buyin on satellites and played there. I didn’t notice the difference. It depends on the table. There are tables with careful players and there is always an aggressive game on the table. I got into the prizes there and flew out with good hands against very weak hands on the bubble.

Many players are attracted to satellites because they allow low stakes players to take part in expensive tournaments. Like the medieval alchemists who promised to turn water into gold, they mislead you. Satellites create a misconception about the real cost of participating in the tournament, and if you follow conservative bankroll management, then you cannot afford to fall for this trick.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand that playing the satellites in these tournaments is still a game that is not based on bankroll, but you can try

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have played in higher stakes games and do find the game to be different and much more aggressive. You will still find crazy fish at the higher levels but you will also find players with the bankroll to play these levels. you will find these players at the higher levels will put you to the test early and often knowing you wont want to loose early on. While I will say if this is something you want to try you should but I would also say you should be better rolled for these games if you do. Best of luck to you.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course, a high buy-in is a completely different level of play at the table)
People understand what it means to lose $11 or $100. If the size of the buy-in doesn't weigh on you and you have the opportunity to try, that's great!), but when you say that you can lose quickly and are not ready to pay the buy-in again,I think it's a bad thought. If you have them, you are not ready for promotion.

Good advice, don't go after money, get pleasure and good emotions from poker!)